• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official***Match #29 - India vs England- October 29th - Lucknow (D/N)

ma1978

International Debutant
There was both seam and spin too. My point was that a pitch like that shows just how good their entire attack is. Yeah, England batted poorly, but there was some outstanding bowling too.
agree. I think Australia and SA beat India on roads but pitches but this India team is deadly on pitches with anything for the bowlers.

Sunil1z

International Regular
if by Bazball you mean not playing odis then sure
No. He no longer looks like batsman of 2014-21. He is now competing with other sloggers like Bairstow , Brooks .
Don’t forget Root scored 2 consecutive ton against India in 2018 series and neutralised peak Kuldeep and Bumrah

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Glad Athers asked about champions trophy and finishing top 7

They have to get that or they can walk home from India.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyway, I don't for a second buy any psychoanalytical explanation for England's performance. For months before the WC I had been harping on about how the bowling really isn't suited to the conditions and other such as @kevinw had concerns about the batters not playing a lot of ODI cricket and therefore being somewhat undercooked. Now, nobody could've seen a Murphy's Law concoction of both potential issues coming to life at once but the problems were there before the Cup and England haven't just sucked because they're not in it mentally or whatever. Most including myself assumed England's batsmen would hit the ground running but the 3 of the top 6 who haven't played any substantial ODI cricket for a year or so have had a hard time adjusting to conditions. That is a failure of preparation and scheduling rather than self-belief.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Bangladesh must be quite confused wondering how they lost so badly to this shower of ****.

Is the ecb sacked yet?
Nah . England had regained their momentum in Bangladesh match . It is Afghanistan match which broke them mentally. They shouldn’t have underestimated Afghanistan.

PlayerComparisons

International Regular
Anyway, I don't for a second buy any psychoanalytical explanation for England's performance. For months before the WC I had been harping on about how the bowling really isn't suited to the conditions and other such as @kevinw had concerns about the batters not playing a lot of ODI cricket and therefore being somewhat undercooked. Now, nobody could've seen a Murphy's Law concoction of both potential issues coming to life at once but the problems were there before the Cup and England haven't just sucked because they're not in it mentally or whatever. Most including myself assumed England's batsmen would hit the ground running but the 3 of the top 6 who haven't played any substantial ODI cricket for a year or so have had a hard time adjusting to conditions. That is a failure of preparation and scheduling rather than self-belief.
I think Stokes’ cowardice is causing England to underperform

Spark

Global Moderator
They've played six games now. Being undercooked no longer flies.

NZ were commonly regarded to be undercooked before the tournament and look how they've done. Australia looked unbelievably rusty to start yet have consistently gotten better as they've acclimatised. England meanwhile have gone from inconsistent to abject. Personnel selections and scheduling don't explain that.

trundler

They've played six games now. Being undercooked no longer flies.
Root averages ~30 since 2019 in ODIs over a significant sample size and Stokes is half-fit and only able to block or bash. The rest just straight up suck against movement. Moeen and Livingstone in the top 7 is a disgrace.

Spark

Global Moderator
Root averages ~30 since 2019 in ODIs over a significant sample size and Stokes is half-fit and only able to block or bash. The rest just straight up suck against movement. Moeen and Livingstone in the top 7 is a disgrace.
They've literally bottom of the tournament. You just aren't going to convince me that this tournament is a straightforward reflection of the level of talent in that squad.

Daemon

It’s just a perfect storm of bad selection, under preparation, not enough skill and mental weakness in being unable to bounce back.

Whatever the reasons, it’s a privilege to watch unfold and it really warms the ****les of my heart. Long may it continue.

R!TTER

State Regular
Australia looked unbelievably rusty to start yet have consistently gotten better as they've acclimatised.
Oz had 3 games before, against us the tournament favorites, & a full test+ODI tour just 6 months back. They couldn't have prepared any better even if they planned it. There was probably fatigue post Ashes but some of the non test members are making it count. Eng Also seemed to be fatigued IMO but it's like they just gave up after a while!

Molehill

International Captain
They've literally bottom of the tournament. You just aren't going to convince me that this tournament is a straightforward reflection of the level of talent in that squad.
The same squad that effectively won the T20 (and quite comfortably too) last year. You can talk about longer format and different conditions, but this has been abject.

What has changed? Even if they played averagely they should have enough to beat SL and Afghan.

trundler

With better captaincy they do better but they're straight up not good enough to be top 5 in these conditions. That is an accurate assessment of their ability. Losses to Afghanistan and SL weren't upsets at all. None of the matches they lost were matches they should've won but maybe they should've lost by lower margins.

ma1978

International Debutant
The same squad that effectively won the T20 (and quite comfortably too) last year. You can talk about longer format and different conditions, but this has been abject.

What has changed? Even if they played averagely they should have enough to beat SL and Afghan.
when teams age, it often happens suddenly, all together and very brutally. This team looks tired through and through.

Bairstow looks like a shadow of himself, Roopt is on the back end of his ODI career, Stokes isliterally on one leg, Ali has no business anywhere near this team, Rashidshould have been replaced by Rehan, Buttler looks done like many people who rely on their eyes.

It boggles the mind to bot play Harry Brook against this bowling attack.

Molehill

International Captain
With better captaincy they do better but they're straight up not good enough to be top 5 in these conditions. That is an accurate assessment of their ability. Losses to Afghanistan and SL weren't upsets at all. None of the matches they lost were matches they should've won but maybe they should've lost by lower margins.
Don’t agree there. SL has the worst bowling attack in the comp, they’ve conceded huge totals. Are you telling me this England batting line up normally gets bowled out for 160 to them?

ma1978

International Debutant
Don’t agree there. SL has the worst bowling attack in the comp, they’ve conceded huge totals. Are you telling me this England batting line up normally gets bowled out for 160 to them?
2023 Moeen Ali is batting at 6. This is a batting lineup trading on past glories.