• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official***Match #29 - India vs England- October 29th - Lucknow (D/N)

danzydab

U19 Debutant
this is a very unpopular opinion, but i think root struggles on pitches that have movement, he cashes in alot when the pitch is flat.

Owzat

U19 Captain
Root is an ATG in tests. In ODIs he is a tad overrated imho. Just doesn't do it enough when the anchor is actually needed.
plays more or less the same kind of pragmatic approach, problem is if you use up balls "playing yourself in" you either need to get a big score by accelerating to required run rate, or get a big score when run rate is less of an issue and he comes up short on that score too often

I'd not have him in any other format than Tests, he can play short formats but isn't head and shoulders above the rest, well not maybe until recent showers of batsmen

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Averages 48 at 87 SR. Won a World Cup. It’s not been a bad career..
I never said bad. I said overrated. Kane is a better actual anchor than Root because he delivers more in tough conditions and/or during collapses etc. Root is more fluent than Kane though so it's a debatable comparison whereas I think Root is clearly ahead in tests.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Root is an ATG in tests. In ODIs he is a tad overrated imho. Just doesn't do it enough when the anchor is actually needed.
That's utter bollocks he did it for years.

He's just been sporadically involved since 2019 and so lost his touch. Trying to play a different way to what made him so good hasn't helped.

He's done it in tests too even albeit his numbers remained good.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
That's utter bollocks he did it for years.

He's just been sporadically involved since 2019 and so lost his touch. Trying to play a different way to what made him so good hasn't helped.

He's done it in tests too even albeit his numbers remained good.
No. Outstanding Test player that has a plethora of great knocks under pressure. In ODI, he has been more of a downhill skier which is naturally disappointing from an anchor. Still a very good ODI player. But a bit overrated in this format imo.