• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England thread

dannythomas

Cricket Spectator
Nah I think he means Duckworth. If they bring in Lewis as well it will give England more of a chance than playing full length matches.
Yes it’s the only way to win white ball matches . You have a kind of weighting system where when a team scores over 350 runs you compare their 10 lowest scoring overs against the best highest scoring overs of a team scoring less than 200. Even then England would still lose most of the time.

dannythomas

Cricket Spectator
What has Robinson done to show white ball credentials?
I take the old fashioned view that the best players are those playing in test cricket and when you have a team scoring in tests at one day runs per over then stick with those players. As far as Robinson is concerned his economy rate is generally excellent and he is also a useful batter averaging I think around 25. I just think he’s a better bowler than Atkinson for instance.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I’ve just hit on the actual problem.

Since the World Cup moved to coloured clothing, we’ve worn light/sky blue twice, and darker shades of blue, sometimes mixed with red, on all other occasions.

We make 100% of finals in the sky blue efforts, with one of them victorious (and if any of you bores @ me with your always boring nonsense about being awarded the cup then you will die alone) and invariably disappoint in the darker blue.

Light blue in 2027 plz
There are far many teams in blue and there's no blue on the English flag. England should play in red as the games are played with a white ball.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I’ve just hit on the actual problem.

Since the World Cup moved to coloured clothing, we’ve worn light/sky blue twice, and darker shades of blue, sometimes mixed with red, on all other occasions.

We make 100% of finals in the sky blue efforts, with one of them victorious (and if any of you bores @ me with your always boring nonsense about being awarded the cup then you will die alone) and invariably disappoint in the darker blue.

Light blue in 2027 plz
England's uniform should be this combination. Then they'd be ready for the beach, the shops, and the plane.
1698370809733.png

1698370778713.png

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Indeed.

Turned up for three and a half weeks in 2019. Walks into an ATG XI.

Shows you what a shower England cricket is tbh.

kevinw

International 12th Man
Gough was an excellent one day bowler, Flintoff too, but none of the guys in the Bayliss and Morgan era onwards are remotely as good. Those teams relied on their batting to win games. Rashid is probably the best short form spinner we've ever had and even then his average is pretty ordinary, and he is probably Zampa level rather than a top tier spinner.

Molehill

International Captain
Read a stat that between 2015-19 England played 88 ODI's. Between 2019-23 it's 43. Yes, Covid reduced that number a bit, but not that much. I don't believe that any one of those 43 featured any same 11 that England have played a game of the World Cup with.

Also thought I'd mention Travis Head. After his abysmal summer with Sussex, he went back to Aus, played some List A games, got a double ton and has never really looked back. Under the current format, I just don't see when any talented England players will ever play 50 over cricket apart from when they're about 19.

Molehill

International Captain
True.

Who'd be the next best England ODI bowler?

Willis/Gough/Swann/Anderson/Rashid??? None would be in the top 50 ODI bowlers of all time
Anderson took 269 wickets from 194 ODI's (Top 25 all time wicket takers), that's only 24 wickets less than Warne took from exactly the same number of matches. Gough's 235 wickets @26 stack up pretty well in the table too.

loterry1994

International Debutant
Gough was an excellent one day bowler, Flintoff too, but none of the guys in the Bayliss and Morgan era onwards are remotely as good. Those teams relied on their batting to win games. Rashid is probably the best short form spinner we've ever had and even then his average is pretty ordinary, and he is probably Zampa level rather than a top tier spinner.
Those England bowlers from that era might not be all time greats. But as a bowling unit they’ve stood up when it’s mattered look at 2019 World Cup semis and finals and got England chasing reasonable totals. Last years t20 World Cup final they got Pakistan out in a way under par score. He’ll theyd even have that 2016 t20 title if stokes didn’t choke it away.

you can’t say for those games I mentioned they over relied on their batting

Molehill

International Captain
Those England bowlers from that era might not be all time greats. But as a bowling unit they’ve stood up when it’s mattered look at 2019 World Cup semis and finals and got England chasing reasonable totals. Last years t20 World Cup final they got Pakistan out in a way under par score. He’ll theyd even have that 2016 t20 title if stokes didn’t choke it away.

you can’t say for those games I mentioned they over relied on their batting
But would the 2019 team have won the World Cup in any other country? I suspect if this World Cup was in England, you'd see this bowling line up causing rather more problems to opposition - we know how Woakes works for starters.

I also think there's a big difference between T20 bowling to ODI, Curran being the perfect example. You need bona fide wicket takers, not those who only pick them up when the batsmen start slogging. In English conditions, Woakes, Archer, Wood ticked all the right boxes in 2019.