• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England thread

Yeoman

U19 Captain
My memory of 1999 was that the batting sucked but at least the bowling was OK. Whereas this time (yes, yes, so far), both disciplines have been poor in 3 games out of 4.

Anyway, what's our biggest margin of defeat when batting 2nd in one of these games? 24 for 3 chasing 400 sounds like that particular record is up for grabs today.
Pretty much. The batting failed on the two occasions that it really mattered. That was enough given that Zimbabwe improbably best both South Africa and India. That was the only occasion in the 1996-2015 period when I felt that we had a good chance of going deep in the tournament.

2003 wasn’t terrible on the pitch. Would have reached the weaker than usual super 6 phase if we hadn’t boycotted the match against Zimbabwe and we came closer to beating Australia than anyone else did.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Pretty much. The batting failed on the two occasions that it really mattered. That was enough given that Zimbabwe improbably best both South Africa and India. That was the only occasion in the 1996-2015 period when I felt that we had a good chance of going deep in the tournament.

2003 wasn’t terrible on the pitch. Would have reached the weaker than usual super 6 phase if we hadn’t boycotted the match against Zimbabwe and we came closer to beating Australia than anyone else did.
Of course the bowling would be okay though, it was in England

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
  • Phil Salt
  • Will Jacks
  • Zak Crawley(c)
  • Ben Duckett
  • Sam Hain
  • Jamie Smith(wk)
  • Brydon Carse
  • Rehan Ahmed
  • Tom Hartley
  • Matthew Potts
  • George Scrimshaw
That side picked against Ireland will be where we go from now I think, can see all but Smith, Potts and Hartley figuring heavily, think with Pope when he's fit.

I'm not displeased with the batting there, but the bowling is still a massive struggle, need to look at Tongue and hope mahmood can maybe get fit, but yeah bleak.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Morgan in as coach. Anyone but Buttler as captain. Lots dropped after the tournament due to age. Rebuild and see what happens.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
  • Phil Salt
  • Will Jacks
  • Zak Crawley(c)
  • Ben Duckett
  • Sam Hain
  • Jamie Smith(wk)
  • Brydon Carse
  • Rehan Ahmed
  • Tom Hartley
  • Matthew Potts
  • George Scrimshaw
That side picked against Ireland will be where we go from now I think, can see all but Smith, Potts and Hartley figuring heavily, think with Pope when he's fit.

I'm not displeased with the batting there, but the bowling is still a massive struggle, need to look at Tongue and hope mahmood can maybe get fit, but yeah bleak.
Atkinson may be in the mix. Agreed about Pope. I also agree that Smith may not be our best bet as keeper & middle order batsman, so I'd like to see Durham's Ollie Robinson given a go.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Atkinson may be in the mix. Agreed about Pope. I also agree that Smith may not be our best bet as keeper & middle order batsman, so I'd like to see Durham's Ollie Robinson given a go.
Yeah Atkinson did well (relatively speaking) yesterday so think he will feature heavily going forwards. And obviously Harry Brook.