• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England thread

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Something else going on to be this bad?
Maybe just as simple as having forgotten how to play ODIs? For all the talk of they’ve peaked etc, a fair few of these guys won the T20 a year ago, not like they’re all over the hill. I dunno.

Spark

Global Moderator
Wonder if there's any questions being directed at Mott? There were actually more problems with his tenure at the Aus women's team then is usually remembered now in terms of team cohesion under him; much of that being covered up by a core of ATG cricketers at his disposal. But it's noticeable that England have looked far more shaky in ODIs ever since he came in.

Ali TT

International Regular
Maybe just as simple as having forgotten how to play ODIs? For all the talk of they’ve peaked etc, a fair few of these guys won the T20 a year ago, not like they’re all over the hill. I dunno.
I don't care hugely. ODI is a dead format to me and glad we won the WC while still relevant. Perhaps us sucking once more will accelerate it's demise

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
On paper, this shouldn't be our worst ever WC side for ODIs. But the thrashings handed out by NZ and SA, and the comfortable defeat against Afghanistan may well be amongs our worst performances. I know that the past comes with rose-tinted spectacles, but even in the bad old days I think we were more competitive than this.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
It's been a complete debacle.

We've been a really top white ball team for a good while but that era has ended.

The bowling is the main issue. Woakes, Curran and Wood simply haven't produced and sides have found it too easy to bat against our attack.

We're still a good batting line up, although obviously we've not shown that and it's time for a clear out in ODIs.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Won't it just be all T20 after this tournament anyway? Can't imagine there are many ODIs in the next year.

WICFan

State 12th Man
Won't it just be all T20 after this tournament anyway? Can't imagine there are many ODIs in the next year.
3 ODI's against the West Indies and then that's it until Australia your around August/September.

Don't know ow if they've came in undercooked or ill-prepared, but it's the end of an era.

Last edited:

loterry1994

International Debutant
England had a good run no doubt two icc trophies they need to rebuild again now they do have a lot of talent waiting in the back. Guys like Ali, Rashid, Stokes, Wood, Malan etc probably won’t be in the team after this tournament

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
England since 1992:

96 - thrashed in the quarters
99 - missed the super 6s
03 - missed the super 6s
07 - made the super 8s, but missed the semis
11 - thrashed in the quarters
15 - missed the quarters
19 - finalists
23 - normal service has resumed