• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England thread

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
India doesn't usually have any commitments around that period.

As for Asian Games, only reason it was between 2nd XIs was because the 1st teams were at the World Cup in India, otherwise at least some of the 1st XV would have gone to the games.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
India has won just 10 Gold Medals in their entire 120 year olympics history.

8 Golds have come in Hockey
1 in Shooting & 1 in Javelin.

IMG_7341.jpeg

Here is the corresponding table for Pakistan-

3 Golds all in hockey.

IMG_7343.jpeg

Yeoman

U19 Captain
Returning to England matters, Telegraph reporting that all 26 of the players offered central contracts have either signed or will sign shortly. This puts to bed some of the earlier rumours that some would prefer to go freelance.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Returning to England matters, Telegraph reporting that all 26 of the players offered central contracts have either signed or will sign shortly. This puts to bed some of the earlier rumours that some would prefer to go freelance.
Best part of a million quid for so e and no doubt a good pension.

They'd be daft not too with the T20 money not even guaranteed.

FBU

International Debutant
Interesting thought. It's not as if Jacks and Salt have made an answerable case to replace the openers after this WC.
Watching them against Ireland after 6 overs 84/0 ... I would have them as openers

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
where does this team rank in the hall of shame of abysmal teams England have sent to the world cup?

1996 will always have a special place in hell in my heart
Given the big names in the top 6, this has to be biggest under-achievers. And both dismissals today have been just lazy.

The 2007 side was pretty awful though, wasn't it?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Probably best to wait until the tournament is over to assess that
It's going to take some combination of results to see us go through if we lose this one though. Is the likeliest requirement that we'll need to win all of our remaining games, or is it too early to say that?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Given the big names in the top 6, this has to be biggest under-achievers. And both dismissals today have been just lazy.

The 2007 side was pretty awful though, wasn't it?
We’re not even halfway through the campaign, so it’s hard to baseline these against anyone. But 99 sits atop the mountain for me. Going out that early in a home WC.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
We’re not even halfway through the campaign, so it’s hard to baseline these against anyone. But 99 sits atop the mountain for me. Going out that early in a home WC.
My memory of 1999 was that the batting sucked but at least the bowling was OK. Whereas this time (yes, yes, so far), both disciplines have been poor in 3 games out of 4.

Anyway, what's our biggest margin of defeat when batting 2nd in one of these games? 24 for 3 chasing 400 sounds like that particular record is up for grabs today.