• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match #10 — Australia Vs South Africa Oct 12th, Lucknow

loterry1994

International Debutant
The former certainly isn't great but Cummins isn't exactly known as a particularly good white ball bowler. It was a big mistake to give him the ODI captaincy.
Maxwell has always been useful enough with the ball to give you like 5 overs at a good rate if he does better he’ll bowl his 10. Cummins use to be way better in odis and the shorter formats a few years ago. I reckon ever since he went for big money in the ipl think it was like 2020 his form dipped in the shorter formats and more players figured him out. Cummins should of definitely used up Stoinis and Marsh more today to see if they could of made up for his poor bowling

King Kane

International Debutant
The former certainly isn't great but Cummins isn't exactly known as a particularly good white ball bowler. It was a big mistake to give him the ODI captaincy.
Yeah the captaincy isn't helping Cummins but who else do the Aussies have to captain with Smith and Warner blacklisted due to sandpapergate, Head injured and Carey dropped?

I guess Mitch Marsh or Maxwell could captain but they aren't exactly locks in the Aussie team either.

Spark

Global Moderator
Maxwell has always been useful enough with the ball to give you like 5 overs at a good rate if he does better he’ll bowl his 10. Cummins use to be way better in odis and the shorter formats a few years ago. I reckon ever since he went for big money in the ipl think it was like 2020 his form dipped in the shorter formats and more players figured him out
Smith's captaincy ban expired ages ago so he could easily have done it, it's not like ODI captaincy has the same emotional baggage as Test captaincy does.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Yeah the captaincy isn't helping Cummins but who else do the Aussies have to captain with Smith and Warner blacklisted due to sandpapergate, Head injured and Carey dropped?

I guess Mitch Marsh or Maxwell could captain but they aren't exactly locks in the Aussie team either.
Maxwell is a lock for a world cup in India tbh

loterry1994

International Debutant

I think it should be Marsh captain. Even Head might be a good shout after this tournament both of them are going to be main stays in the shorter formats for a while it seems. I couldn’t take Smith captaining again seriously he looks like an absolute tosser half the time

Spark

Global Moderator
Is captaincy a problem or is that another consequence of too many no rounders?
The no-rounders thing isn't the main issue - though it is a big problem - it's more than having Cummins as captain really leads to this three frontline quicks balance which is just obviously broken in these conditions.
Aus main spinner struggling is the bigger issue. People can talk about Agar being average and all but he was a big loss to this team and was a main stay in the shorter formats the last few years it definitely hurts their balance
Yeah Agar is a big miss here. Would have been worth his place easily.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australia must be wondering if they can just set up a couple of bowling machines at each end and put their feet up until the batting starts.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The no-rounders thing isn't the main issue - though it is a big problem - it's more than having Cummins as captain really leads to this three frontline quicks balance which is just obviously broken in these conditions.

Yeah Agar is a big miss here. Would have been worth his place easily.
Yeah that's a good point. Cummins is just suboptimal for balance in the conditions as a player. Plus it doesn't help that his strengths and weaknesses just make him Haze but worse i.e not the death bowler Australia needs the third pacer to be.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Aus main spinner struggling is the bigger issue. People can talk about Agar being average and all but he was a big loss to this team and was a main stay in the shorter formats the last few years it definitely hurts their balance
Australia’s main spinner hasn’t played white ball for the country for 4 years

Lyon, Murphy, Kuhnemann and even Chris Green are all better than Agar

Ashton Turner is a much more useful cricketer these days as is Short

The guy has basically been deemed not good enough to play on his last 2 tours