• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Opening Match- England v New Zealand- October 5th, Ahmedabad

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Terrible scheduling from a local crowd pov to open with a game between two neutral sides, even if it’s a replay of the stolen final of 2019. Should have been an india game up front to kick it off with a bang
Agree. Rugby did France v ABs and that was huge.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Crapinfo are suggesting this for New Zealand: 1 Will Young, 2 Devon Conway, 3 Daryl Mitchell, 4 Glenn Phillips, 5 Tom Latham (capt & wk), 6 James Neesham, 7 Mitchell Santner, 8 Ish Sodhi, 9 Matt Henry, 10 Lockie Ferguson, 11 Trent Boult

That's quite a tail....
I think 8 bowling options might be excessive and Stead sees Phillips as a 6, not a 4. Chapman is the reserve batsman and Ravindra scored 97 opening in a warm up v Pakistan a few days ago, so surely one of them gets the nod. I love if they played both and rested Santner:
Young, Conway, Chapman, Mitchell, Latham, Phillips, Chapman, Sodhi, then the 3 seamers (but Chapman at 3 and Ravindra at 7 would be more likely).

ataraxia

International Coach
1 Will Young, 2 Devon Conway, 3 Daryl Mitchell, 4 Glenn Phillips, 5 Tom Latham (capt & wk), 6 James Neesham, 7 Mitchell Santner, 8 Ish Sodhi, 9 Matt Henry, 10 Lockie Ferguson, 11 Trent Boult
Maybe cricinfo should get an NZ-based reporter... Anyway, for non-NZers, here's the likely side:

1 Will Young, 2 Devon Conway, 3 Daryl Mitchell, 4 Tom Latham (capt & wk), 5 Mark Chapman, 6 Glenn Phillips, 7 Jimmy Neesham, 8 Mitchell Santner, 9 Ish Sodhi, 10 Matt Henry, 11 Trent Boult

There's a lot of uncertainty, but I think it's basically whether they'll play Ravindra or Neesham, and if they play Ravindra:
  • whether he'll slot in in the top 3 or bat 7 (I reckon top 3)
  • whether they'll play Sodhi or Ferguson, as the feeling seems to be the Ahmedabad pitch isn't greatly spin-friendly

Test fan

U19 Vice-Captain
Maybe cricinfo should get an NZ-based reporter... Anyway, for non-NZers, here's the likely side:

1 Will Young, 2 Devon Conway, 3 Daryl Mitchell, 4 Tom Latham (capt & wk), 5 Mark Chapman, 6 Glenn Phillips, 7 Jimmy Neesham, 8 Mitchell Santner, 9 Ish Sodhi, 10 Matt Henry, 11 Trent Boult

There's a lot of uncertainty, but I think it's basically whether they'll play Ravindra or Neesham, and if they play Ravindra:
  • whether he'll slot in in the top 3 or bat 7 (I reckon top 3)
  • whether they'll play Sodhi or Ferguson, as the feeling seems to be the Ahmedabad pitch isn't greatly spin-friendly
Only two proper fast bowler? Against England evey team needs wicket taking bowler to contain them as regular wickets is very important to Stop the run flow

Molehill

International Captain
Rumours now that England leaving out Topley and preference for Moeen's batting. There seems to be some confusion about what bowlers are actually required for this pitch.