• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England thread

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Not surprised Roy has "declined the opportunity" to play in the remaining ODIs against Ireland tbh.

I might be over-thinking this, but surely it is not good etiquette for the selectors to drop him for the WC but then try to select him for the remaining warm up games. I think I would find this somewhat insulting, were I him.

Molehill

International Captain
Not surprised Roy has "declined the opportunity" to play in the remaining ODIs against Ireland tbh.

I might be over-thinking this, but surely it is not good etiquette for the selectors to drop him for the WC but then try to select him for the remaining warm up games. I think I would find this somewhat insulting, were I him.
Unless they wanted him as reserve and if someone got injured he'd be into the squad.....

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Unless they wanted him as reserve and if someone got injured he'd be into the squad.....
Yeah maybe I guess. But if this happens he'd probably be back in anyway I imagine, regardless of whether he plays in these next few matches.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

They aren’t really warm up games though tbf. But agree there was little gain for him

Silver Silva

International Debutant

World cup winner , averaging 46 this year and gets dropped for a rookie who averaged 12 in his last series and hasnt done anything in the format , who wouldn't be upset ..

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
They aren’t really warm up games though tbf. But agree there was little gain for him
They'd probably be worth more if they were actual warm up games tbh. Instead it's just "Hey, I know we picked you in the original squad for the WC, but you're now out. Oh yeah btw please play in these JAMODIs."

Molehill

International Captain
World cup winner , averaging 46 this year and gets dropped for a rookie who averaged 12 in his last series and hasnt done anything in the format , who wouldn't be upset ..
That's one angle, another might be........Bloke with back spasms, couldn't get fit to play in any of the warm ups, dropped for someone who can walk and hold a bat.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
That's one angle, another might be........Bloke with back spasms, couldn't get fit to play in any of the warm ups, dropped for someone who can walk and hold a bat.
If his injuries were that serious they wouldn't have asked Roy to play the Ireland odi series. If the selectors really wanted Roy they would have made an accommodation since they included Roy in the provisional 15. I feel they wanted Harry Brook in the side no matter what .

Molehill

International Captain
If his injuries were that serious they wouldn't have asked Roy to play the Ireland odi series. If the selectors really wanted Roy they would have made an accommodation since they included Roy in the provisional 15. I feel they wanted Harry Brook in the side no matter what .
If Roy had been fit for the first two ODI's he'd have played in them.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, I get the feeling is the case as well. And tbh that's completely fine. I would have included Brook over Roy too. But if that's the policy then they should just let the bloke be. Deselecting him from the squad for the biggest competition in the format will have made him feel absolutely gutted. For them to then turn around and ask him to be available for a handful of meaningless matches against prank opposition is a dick move, rubbing salt in the wounds type job.

Howe_zat

Audio File
The selection and prep in general has been a complete shambles tbh. I don't even really disagree with any of the individual selection decisions very much, it's just been all over the place.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The selection and prep in general has been a complete shambles tbh. I don't even really disagree with any of the individual selection decisions very much, it's just been all over the place.
I don’t think we are alone in that but it has certainly been suboptimal

Molehill

International Captain
I'm confused. It seems to me that we've actually used it pretty wisely. Roy's back spasms, whilst not ideal, have actually resolved the issue as to who to open and Malan has made it pretty clear he's the man. The Top 7 looks sorted, it's just a matter of which seamers are rotated in and out, and all seemed in pretty good nick.

They've just given NZ a good hiding in their last 3 games, what more do you want?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm confused. It seems to me that we've actually used it pretty wisely. Roy's back spasms, whilst not ideal, have actually resolved the issue as to who to open and Malan has made it pretty clear he's the man. The Top 7 looks sorted, it's just a matter of which seamers are rotated in and out, and all seemed in pretty good nick.

They've just given NZ a good hiding in their last 3 games, what more do you want?
More than one series building up to it. But I think it’s a cricket problem.

Molehill

International Captain
More than one series building up to it. But I think it’s a cricket problem.
The World Cup is 11 matches if you make the Final, that's a lot of cricket. I'd rather be fresh going into it than overplayed. Has a lengthy series in SA plus another 3 matches now in India helped Aus?

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator
The World Cup is 11 matches if you make the Final, that's a lot of cricket. I'd rather be fresh going into it than overplayed. Has a lengthy series in SA plus another 3 matches now in India helped Aus?
I think the NZ series worked out fine as a lead in.

It's more the longer term planning and prep that's been mostly absent. The WC cycle is 4 years and several of our squad have hardly played any 50 over cricket in that whole time, and our first XI (whatever that is) certainly haven't played together much at all. The fact that Malan crushed this past series while Roy was injured, and Livingstone finally scored runs in the format against a non-minnow does give us a settled looking top 7 at last, but if the NZ hadn't gone so well we'd have been looking decidedly shaky. There's obviously been the late scramble to figure out what to do with Brook going on as well, and Gus Atkinson has barely played List A cricket in his life.

I'm actually feeling pretty good about where the side is at now, but things seemingly falling into place at the very last minute isn't the same as having good selection and preparation, so Howe's comment seems fair to me.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don’t mean direct build up, I just mean a lack of ODIs in general. We built to 2019 over four years.

Obviously 2020 and 21 made that harder.

Molehill

International Captain
I don’t mean direct build up, I just mean a lack of ODIs in general. We built to 2019 over four years.

Obviously 2020 and 21 made that harder.
It's kind of easy to forget them, but since winning the T20 World Cup we've played 3 match series in Aus, SA and Bangladesh. Add in the NZ 4 and that's 13 ODI's in the past 10 months. We may not have taken them all seriously (especially the Aus ones), but I'm sure we've been learning stuff in the process. It feels like we've pretty much ended up with our best 15 we could have (bar Archer) and the Roy/Brook decision probably makes little difference as both would be the back up. I'm not sure what more we could have done given The Ashes (bar playing some ODI's in August, but that's a whole different argument).

CartyDurham

International Captain
I’m hoping England get to the semi final

after that it’s up for grabs again but I feel India will continue the run of Home nations winning the World Cup