• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clyde Walcott vs Kane Williamson

Who was the greater Test batsman?

• Total voters

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
This is my first one of these, and a comparison I've been thinking of recently.

Two great batsmen, and both surely members of the All Time alphabetical W team. One known more for the purity of his technique, the other for his exceptional power.

Both spectacularly prolific, but also marked down a little compared to other ATGs for the statistical skew in favour of their home vs away records.

Who does CW think was greater?

Slifer

International Captain
Kane probably. But I know I'm beating a dead horse but I don't think any batsman has ever put two atg bowling attacks to the sword in back to back series like Clyde did.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Kane probably. But I know I'm beating a dead horse but I don't think any batsman has ever put two atg bowling attacks to the sword in back to back series like Clyde did.
That's a fair call. Home advantage notwithstanding, those two series were ludicrously brilliant. And who's to say he couldn't have done it away from home in that period but for the vagaries of the touring schedule and his availability.

Slifer

International Captain
That's a fair call. Home advantage notwithstanding, those two series were ludicrously brilliant. And who's to say he couldn't have done it away from home in that period but for the vagaries of the touring schedule and his availability.
Agreed. I don't hold his away average against him as much as others do because he played Australia in literally 3 tests; too small of a sample size. He genuinely struggled in England though.

Last edited:

kyear2

International Coach
The main reason I don't hold Walcott's home record against him, though he still falls short of that top tier of batsmen, is because that's what all the pitches were like pre WW2, and we don't hold it against the batsmen of that era

Oh, and he faced better bowlers, much better.

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
The main reason I don't hold Walcott's home record against him, though he still falls short of that top tier of batsmen, is because that's what all the pitches were like pre WW2, and we don't hold it against the batsmen of that era

Oh, and he faced better bowlers, much better.
Understatement. He put to the sword the following bowlers Eng: Trueman, Laker, Statham, Lock and Laker. Then for Aus: Lindwall, Miller, Ian Johnson, Bill Johnston and a certain Richie Benaud. That's mind boggling. 10 tests, 8 100s.

Coronis

International Coach
Walcott >= Weekes > Williamson > Worrell > Woodfull is how I’d probably have them.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah forgot the Waughs. They bookend the list.
I reckon for the All Time Ws team, you pretty much have to open with Worrell alongside Woodful (or Warner, or Washbrook) to fit them all in. So then a 3-6 of Williamson-Weekes-Walcott-SWaugh - and we're still leaving out Mark Waugh, Doug Walters and Frank Woolley! Scenes then as @Prince EWS and @Fuller Pilch debate Waite vs Watling for the 'keeper slot.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Wasim Bari would be a shout too if (a) his batting had been better and (b) there was confirmation that he is eligible namewise. (I've read conflicting opinions on here.)

The other option is to cheat a bit and get Walcott to keep, but I prefer proper keepers and allowing bats to excel without the gloves.

If the Pakistani naming is accepted, a bowling attack of Wasim, Waqar, Walsh, and Warne is ridiculously good.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Wasim Bari would be a shout too if (a) his batting had been better and (b) there was confirmation that he is eligible namewise. (I've read conflicting opinions on here.)

If the Pakistani naming is accepted, a bowling attack of Wasim, Waqar, Walsh, and Warne is ridiculously good.
Yep, that's my Ws attack as well. Waugh and Worrell to share fifth bowler duties. It's an incredible side, one of the absolute best of the alphabet teams IMO.

Coronis

International Coach

The other option is to cheat a bit and get Walcott to keep, but I prefer proper keepers and allowing bats to excel without the gloves.

100% imo.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
Both guys don't have great away records and were/are titans at home. Clyde takes it for the run feasts against two great attacks. Could see an argument for him being better than Weekes. That's close.

David456

Cricket Spectator
This is my first one of these, and a comparison I've been thinking of recently.

Two great batsmen, and both surely members of the All Time alphabetical W team. One known more for the purity of his technique, the other for his exceptional power.

Both spectacularly prolific, but also marked down a little compared to other ATGs for the statistical skew in favour of their home vs away records.

Who does CW think was greater?
In comparing these two great batsmen, it's fascinating to note the contrast in their styles and strengths. One is celebrated for the purity of his technique, while the other is known for his extraordinary power. They've both enjoyed remarkable success in their careers, yet their statistics can be somewhat skewed due to their dominance at home.

It's a compelling question, and I'm sure cricket enthusiasts, like those at CW, will have diverse opinions on who they consider the greater player. Ultimately, it often comes down to personal preferences and the aspects of the game that resonate most with each fan. The debate between technique and power in cricket is timeless and adds to the charm of the sport.

Attachments