• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
TBH I'd never considered Moin Khan as an option, despite an over-achieving Test career. Rashid Latif is up there for me, while I still sometimes wonder if after Imran at 7 and Akram at 8 I can still get away with Wasim Bari at 9. Whatever you think of him, Safaraz Ahmed has had a terrific career and I personally think that Mohammad Rizwan is quite possibly the best 'keeper-bat Pakistan has ever had, but due to form/politics/shenanigans has not yet proven himself to be unequivocally the greatest.

And I always select Mushtaq Mohammad. I think he was a tremendous cricketer.

number11

State Regular
TBH I'd never considered Moin Khan as an option, despite an over-achieving Test career. Rashid Latif is up there for me, while I still sometimes wonder if after Imran at 7 and Akram at 8 I can get away with Wasim Bari at 9. Whatever you think if him, Safaraz Ahmed has had a terrific career and I personally think that Mohammad Rizwan is quite possibly the best 'keeper-bat Pakistan has ever had, but due to form/politics/shenanigans has not yet proven himself to be unequivocally the greatest.

And I always select Mushtaq Mohammad. I think he was a tremendous cricketer.
Mushtaq was very useful indeed. I always rated Moin. He had that doggedness like Healy - annoying wkt-bat who riles the opposition up.

smash84

The Tiger King
Mushtaq was very useful indeed. I always rated Moin. He had that doggedness like Healy - annoying wkt-bat who riles the opposition up.
I agree, Moin had that doggedness and fighting spirit that is rare among Pakistani cricketers. Heck, rare among most cricketers. Except maybe the Aussies, who have it in spades for some reason.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
South Africa

Barry (if exclusively tests, Kirsten).
Smith/Mitchell
Nourse
Kallis
Pollock
De Villiers
Proctor
Faulkner
Pollock
Steyn
Donald

Last edited:

ataraxia

International Coach
Mitchell for Smith is arguable too. Don't think there's much between Bruce, Graeme and Gary.
And Barry tbh (though not Kirsten for mine). I'm probably siding with the standard view of Barry > G Smith > Mitchell but it's pretty close and they're all very good.

BazBall21

International Vice-Captain
And Barry tbh (though not Kirsten for mine). I'm probably siding with the standard view of Barry > G Smith > Mitchell but it's pretty close and they're all very good.
Yeah if it's exclusively tests, then Mitchell probably makes it. Mitchell is ahead of Kirsten I forgot him originally.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Assuming Richards and Proctor are disqualified due to a lack of Tests, I reckon it's:

Graeme Smith
Bruce Mitchell
Jacques Kallis
Graeme Pollock
Dudley Nourse
AB De Villiers
John Waite
Shaun Pollock
Hugh Tayfield
Dale Steyn
Allan Donald

I hate omitting Faulkner, as I consider him to be one of South Africa's three greatest ever cricketers. But I don't need six bowlers and I'm not leaving Kallis out. Amla unlucky to miss out at 3 as he's probably the only truly outstanding first drop South Africa have had, but I wanted both Nourse and De Villiers and didn't want AB 'keeping.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Assuming Richards and Proctor are disqualified due to a lack of Tests, I reckon it's:

Graeme Smith
Bruce Mitchell
Jacques Kallis
Graeme Pollock
Dudley Nourse
AB De Villiers
John Waite
Shaun Pollock
Hugh Tayfield
Dale Steyn
Allan Donald

I hate omitting Faulkner, as I consider him to be one of South Africa's three greatest ever cricketers. But I don't need six bowlers and I'm not leaving Kallis out. Amla unlucky to miss out at 3 as he's probably the only truly outstanding first drop South Africa have had, but I wanted both Nourse and De Villiers and didn't want AB 'keeping.
Rollercoaster ride for Faulkner. Yesterday I named him as one of the ten greatest cricketers of all time, but today you've dropped him from the AT RSA team!

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Rollercoaster ride for Faulkner. Yesterday I named him as one of the ten greatest cricketers of all time, but today you've dropped him from the AT RSA team!
Haha he's been a lock in my RSA team forever, dropping him is a brand new thing that I'm trying out. I've been thinking about team balance and whether having him in the side was worth leaving out Nourse or De Villiers, given that I already have a great bowling attack. I may well decide he's simply too valuable a cricketer to leave out and change my mind again tomorrow!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha he's been a lock in my RSA team forever, dropping him is a brand new thing that I'm trying out. I've been thinking about team balance and whether having him in the side was worth leaving out Nourse or De Villiers, given that I already have a great bowling attack. I may well decide he's simply too valuable a cricketer to leave out and change my mind again tomorrow!
I don't think de Villiers is clearly a better batsman than him, even just on batting alone, so I'd probably leave him out.

Sometimes I think about not including Tayfield but Faulkner was much more of a batting allrounder than people tend to realise, and Pollock down at 9 is a bit unnecessary.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Faulkner could even bat at 3 which would allow Kallis to be at #4, his best position, and where he should be as the best batsman in the side.

Coronis

International Coach
wrt what PEWS brought up in another thread regarding SR and results - considering the England XI has relatively weak bowling - especially overseas - isn’t stacking the batting even with slow players the better option here? Against other ATG squads I’d back them to save more tests than adding a Pietersen to win more. (assuming 5 day tests - imo bring back timeless tests for ATG XI’s)