• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
People seem to look at final stats to write off Ian Botham (and even suggesting Imran was a better batsman lol)

Botham had 21 tests to get the 1000 runs and 100 wkt double and 42 tests for the 2000 run and 200 wkt double

Can anyone name someone that did the double faster and in fact not many bowlers who got 200 wkts faster than Botham (did it in 41 tests)
That's great and all but those runs and wickets came when most good players were playing in WSC and rebel tours.

He still had a great run but he wasn't as good as his fanboys claims he was.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
CW Meme XI

1. Atherton > Hayden
2. Gambhiring
3. Kallis
4. Head > Wade
5. [removed by Dan]
6. Jadeja
7. Sajid
8. Faulkner on debut
9. Garner for his batting
10. Hoggard > Lillee
11. Murphy opening the bowling

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
CW Meme XI

1. Atherton > Hayden
2. Gambhiring
3. Kallis
4. Head > Wade
5. [removed by Dan]
6. Jadeja
7. Sajid
8. Faulkner on debut
9. Garner for his batting
10. Hoggard > Lillee
11. Murphy opening the bowling
Cant believe you left Jimmy out of the Oval

You must be #spooked

S P O O K E D
P
O
O
K
E
D

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
Fun Fact only 3 pace bowlers in history have 200 wkts faster than Botham. Lillee 38 tests, Younis 38 tests and Steyn 39 tests. Malcom Marshall and Allan Donald did it in 42 tests while McGrath took 45 Tests
Fun fact: Ian Botham scored fourteen 100s and took twenty seven five-fers. no other cricketer has scored 10 centuries and taken 10 five-fers. not even one.

sidk007

Cricket Spectator
Happy now Coronis? XI

01. Sunil Gavaskar
02. Sachin Tendulkar
03. Viv Richards
04. Brian Lara
05. Javed Miandad
06. Garfield Sobers (4,5)
07. Kumar Sangakkara +
08. Imran Khan * (3)
09. Richard Hadlee (2)
10. Muttiah Muralitharan (4,5)
11. Glenn McGrath (1)

YES THIS POST IS IN JEST
Just wanted to ask that, since when did sanga bat at 7 and sachin as a ooener in ODIs?

Coronis

International Coach
Just wanted to ask that, since when did sanga bat at 7 and sachin as a ooener in ODIs?
Don’t worry he was just making that team as a joke because I dared to call him out on rating Hayden above Tendulkar amongst batsmen he’d seen.

I am truly humbled and ashamed…

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Speaking of Miandad, the reason I loved him most as a bat, was just him having that one quality that many subcontinent players ( including Tendulkar ), and especially Pakistanis lacked throughout the years. That being consistency. The man never averaged below 50.
This is ridiculously stupid. It has nothing much to do with consistency. The reason his average didn't drop below 50 is because he had some high scoring tests in the very beginning of his career and his bad patches came a few tests later, so he had enough of a buffer because of the early big matches.

If you just switched up the order of tests and put his low scoring test matches in the beginning of his career he wouldnt possess this worthless stat despite there being no difference in his consistency.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Don’t worry he was just making that team as a joke because I dared to call him out on rating Hayden above Tendulkar amongst batsmen he’d seen.

I am truly humbled and ashamed…
I mean he also thinks Sanga, Kallis and Miandad were better batsmen than Sachin so…it wasn’t even really position relevant.

Socerer 01

International Captain
This is ridiculously stupid. It has nothing much to do with consistency. The reason his average didn't drop below 50 is because he had some high scoring tests in the very beginning of his career and his bad patches came a few tests later, so he had enough of a buffer because of the early big matches.

If you just switched up the order of tests and put his low scoring test matches in the beginning of his career he wouldnt possess this worthless stat despite there being no difference in his consistency.
its like claiming Axar Patel is a very consistent bowler when he has never averaged above 20 as a bowler

Qlder

International Debutant

Miandad averaged 55.22 after 13 tests and went on to play 124 tests without ever dropping below a 50 average, only the 2nd person ever to do so. Seems he was pretty consistent in his last 111 tests to almost match his first 13

Socerer 01

International Captain
Miandad averaged 55.22 after 13 tests and went on to play 124 tests without ever dropping below a 50 average, only the 2nd person ever to do so. Seems he was pretty consistent in his last 111 tests to almost match his first 13
you are saying the same thing op did with different words

Socerer 01

International Captain
Miandad averaged 52.25 in his last 111 tests, that proves he was consistent well after his initial tests that OS said supposedly propped up his average
you’re misunderstanding what os said then he wasn’t disputing Miandad’s consistency but the methodology of it being decided because his average never dropped below 50 since the start of his career that op used to put Miandad over Tendulkar

Coronis

International Coach
I mean he also thinks Sanga, Kallis and Miandad were better batsmen than Sachin so…it wasn’t even really position relevant.
I mean, I specifically called out the Hayden one in particularly, so pretty sure thats why Tendulkar was up there in the opening spot.

Also for everyone talking bout Miandad Sutcliffe is the best he never averaged below 60 thanks for playing.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Miandad averaged 52.25 in his last 111 tests, that proves he was consistent well after his initial tests that OS said supposedly propped up his average
I'm not saying he wasn't consistent. You can't have that good of a record if you aren't.

My point is is this :

Scenario 1 (which is what actually happened) :
Miandad scores 163 on debut, averages 95 in his first 4 tests. He then averages only 28 in his next 4 tests. His average never drops below 50 because it started at 163 (after his first innings) and could withstand the low run of scores.

In an alternate universe, we get scenario 2:
Miandad averages 28 in his first 4 tests. He then averages 95 in his next 4 tests. The same exact output of runs but now his average was only 28 at one point, hence he wasn't consistent because consistent players never average below 50.

It's stupid.