• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing

kaetor

U19 Cricketer
We'll lose one test, and then draw a match where we were slightly on top when it rains. Gary Stead will say it's a positive result pointing toward historical results where we were thrashed way worse vs the Saffers.

(I do actually reckon we'll win, just want to get that good old negativity in there first)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Someone needs to be held to account for that. Absolute horse ****.

Wah wah wah people don't like Tests, they're dying, no one turns up say cricket administrators. Then they pull **** like this.
Maybe I'm too trusting but I think it's just incompetence rather than anything truly deliberate. When they guaranteed centrally contracted players would be available for the T20 I reckon they just thought "well we won't schedule any Tests then" - but they ****ed up. The fact that they tried to change the dates of the Tests afterwards does suggest they at least care a little bit.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe I'm too trusting but I think it's just incompetence rather than anything truly deliberate. When they guaranteed centrally contracted players would be available for the T20 I reckon they just thought "well we won't schedule any Tests then" - but they ****ed up. The fact that they tried to change the dates of the Tests afterwards does suggest they at least care a little bit.
Then they should be accountable for being incompetent and unorganised. Go and administrate a junior pickleball league if you can't line your dates up at a higher level.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
So...any SA posters able to give us a rough idea of what the SA's test XI is likely to look like?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So...any SA posters able to give us a rough idea of what the SA's test XI is likely to look like?
I think even they would struggle to guess. They could stack it with mediocre FC stalwarts who aren't good at T20, or send some kids with long-form potential, or maybe a mix of both.

Try to imagine being asked to come up with a Test team of blokes who wouldn't get picked in 15 man Super Smash squads...

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I think even they would struggle to guess. They could stack it with mediocre FC stalwarts who aren't good at T20, or send some kids with long-form potential, or maybe a mix of both.

Try to imagine being asked to come up with a Test team of a blokes who wouldn't get picked in 15 man Super Smash squads...
If I was SA's senior management, I'd hesitate to send over a team of U23 talents for a tour to NZ. Decent chance half of them would finish the tour with contracts for Plunket sides.

RMBolton

U19 Debutant
From memory, CSA had suggestions:
  • Moving the Tests a week later so the clash with SA20 was slightly more manageable
  • Moving the Tests to April ("You're losing players to the IPL, we lose players to the IPL, it'll be even")
  • Moving the Tests to August in South Africa
NZC shot them all down:
  • February is tightly packed with back-to-back SA & Aus tours
  • Test cricket? In April? Even then, there'll be a Super Smash All-Stars tour to Pakistan in April, so that's out as well
  • Moving that Test series to South Africa? Did CSA suggest that with a straight face?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
From memory, CSA had suggestions:
  • Moving the Tests a week later so the clash with SA20 was slightly more manageable
  • Moving the Tests to April ("You're losing players to the IPL, we lose players to the IPL, it'll be even")
  • Moving the Tests to August in South Africa
NZC shot them all down:
  • February is tightly packed with back-to-back SA & Aus tours
  • Test cricket? In April? Even then, there'll be a Super Smash All-Stars tour to Pakistan in April, so that's out as well
  • Moving that Test series to South Africa? Did CSA suggest that with a straight face?
Oh yeah NZC were right to say no. But I think if it was a deliberate plot to diminish Tests or even if they just didn't care about the clash at all they wouldn't have bothered making those suggestions.

RMBolton

U19 Debutant
I think it was mostly incompetence on CSA's part. It's been in the FTP for about a year now, & they likely knew a long time beforehand. They also should've known that NZC would've had limited room to move to accommodate.

Of course, the big problem here is that the SA contracts themselves give SA20 top priority during the window when it's on, over international duty.

Heboric

International Debutant
Good ol Dean Elgar might still be there if hasnt retired in frustration. Probably need him to bowl 30 overs of spin :laugh:
Maybe the much talked about Daniel Bedingham could get a chance , but he might get picked up by a SA20 team.
But for the rest Johnny Journeyman I guess

edit from SA team thread, taken from a Neil Manthorp article

Possible Squad: Dean Elgar (captain), Tony de Zorzi, Keegan Petersen, Stiaan van Zyl, Zubayr Hamza, Khaya Zondo, Raynard van Tonder, Sinethemba Qeshile (wk), Rivaldo Moonsamy (wk), Lutho Sipamla, Glenton Stuurman, Duanne Olivier, Beyers Swanepoel, Sean Whitehead, Kwena Maphaka,

Other possibilities:

Rudi Second, Ziyaad Abrahams, Eldred Hawken, Thomas Kaber, Joshua Richards, Dominic Hendricks, Jason Smith, Tsepo Ndwandwa.

Could they be tempted?

Dane Paterson, Kyle Abbott, Leus du Plooy, David Bedingham, Hashim Amla…

Last edited:

thundaboult

International Debutant
FFS i feel like WE SHOULD tour south africa finally! Its been like 7 years, not sure whats up with all these outrageously long gaps, last year we went to the windies after a 8 year gap as well....its not like cricket has all these infinite variety of opponents like soccer/football that justify such long gaps between 2 nations facing of

Last edited: