• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Root over Younis is worth a conversation though I'd still like YK for longevity and his ability to go big. 34 tons in 118 matches is insane. Root has 30 in almost 20 more matches.
Root is definitely ahead now because he looks comfortable in almost all conditions, even if his conversion hasn't always been great.

But 27 of Younis' 34 tons in Asia is more lopsided than most, and I'm only going from memory when I say he always looked utterly awful on any SENA tracks that had anything in it for pace bowlers (compared to the likes of Dravid for example), but did score on flat-tracks in those countries like his big ton in Sydney.

I might be being unfair, I just recall him looking like a bunny when the ball was moving.

TheJediBrah

I think that's spot on. Root has been excellent in all conditions for a while and playing his home games in England where it's generally but tougher to bat. Younis is good but there's a hint of flat-track bully about him

trundler

But 27 of his 34 tons in Asia is more lopsided than most, and I'm only going from memory when I say he always looked utterly awful on any SENA tracks that had anything in it for pace bowlers (compared to the likes of Dravid), but did score on flat-tracks in those countries like his big ton in Sydney.

I might be being unfair, I just recall him looking like a bunny when the ball was moving.
He had a weakness against lateral movement and struggled in one series in NZ but he was still better than you give him credit for. Sanga has 8 outside Asia and Dravid 10. Dravid is the best of the lot outside Asia obviously but Younis's ratio there isn't especially lopsided. Across conditions, Younis's record is not dissimilar to either Root or Sanga. Each have their strengths and weaknesses. When compared to Root, Younis's ability to make it count in favourable confirms is definitely a point in his favour though.
I think that's spot on. Root has been excellent in all conditions for a while and playing his home games in England where it's generally but tougher to bat. Younis is good but there's a hint of flat-track bully about him
Younis is one of the best players of spin in the last 25 odd years though. Not just an FTB. He did well against pace when it didn't move late. Somebody like Dravid was absolutely better at it than him but Younis was better against spin.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
2008-2018

Grame Smith *
Alaistair Cook
Kumar Sangakara
Virat Kohli
Steve Smith
Ben Stokes
MS Dhoni +
Ravi Ashwin
Kagiso Rabada
Dale Steyn
James Anderson

Squad: Kane Williamson/ Pat Cummins/ Joe Root

sounds better?

trundler

2008-2018

Grame Smith *
Alaistair Cook
Kumar Sangakara
Virat Kohli
Steve Smith
Ben Stokes
MS Dhoni +
Ravi Ashwin
Kagiso Rabada
Dale Steyn
James Anderson

sounds better?
Younis and De Villiers should be in there...

trundler

Instead of Stokes and Dhoni? Either AB or Sanga can keep, but leaves them with only 4 bowlers
I meant in the squad. Does Stokes make the team for that time period? I'd rather have Shakib. Think Dhoni is iffy and should be replaced by Watling, Haddin or someone else.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
2008-2018

Grame Smith *
Alaistair Cook
Kumar Sangakara
Virat Kohli
Steve Smith
Ben Stokes
MS Dhoni +
Ravi Ashwin
Kagiso Rabada
Dale Steyn
James Anderson

sounds better?
This is 2008-2018 right? I'd go:

G Smith
Cook
Amla
Sanga (Younis Khan unlucky)
AB (Chanderpaul, S Smith, and Clarke unlucky)
Shakib
Watling
Ashwin (Herath unlucky but Shakib is SLA)
Philander
Rabada (Harris and Anderson unlucky)
Steyn

kyear2

International Coach
Gavaskar
Hobbs
Bradman
Sobers
Tendulkar
Kallis
Gilchrist
Hadlee
Marshall
Warne
Steyn

In a scenario where I play Sobers simply as a batsman and let Kallis be the 5th bowler.

When I look over Sobers record, my God did he over bowl himself, most likely to the detriment of his batting.

Let him bat and stand at 2nd and bowl some spin if desperately required as the 6th option.

trundler

Kallis at 6 is really suboptimal and I don't trust him to be the 5th bowler more than Sobers. He doesn't give you a second spin option either.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Gavaskar
Hobbs
Bradman
Sobers
Tendulkar
Kallis
Gilchrist
Hadlee
Marshall
Warne
Steyn

In a scenario where I play Sobers simply as a batsman and let Kallis be the 5th bowler.

When I look over Sobers record, my God did he over bowl himself, most likely to the detriment of his batting.

Let him bat and stand at 2nd and bowl some spin if desperately required as the 6th option.
Whose your next bat in, if you exclude Bradman?