• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
With respect, there are other countries outside of Asia worth considering and based on results, variety does not equal being more effective. Imran fwiw was more effective generally in Pakistan than Hadlee and Steyn but not in India.
Other countries are very well catered to by Marshall and McGrath/Hadlee. In India, rather than in subcontinent, is too fine a dissection and is susceptible to lol sample size. A bowler of Imran's calibre who was brought up on Asian conditions definitely adds a lot to the lineup.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not taking into account bating. Which do you guys believe is the better attack?

Hadlee
Marshall
Warne
Steyn

Or

Imran
Marshall
Warne
McGrath
Hadlee was a better bowler than Imran but I don't really get your Steyn fetish. McGrath was pretty clearly better IMO.

kyear2

International Coach
Hadlee was a better bowler than Imran but I don't really get your Steyn fetish. McGrath was pretty clearly better IMO.
McGrath was clearly better than Steyn, that wasn't my point.

I want Marshall, along with a metronome (McGrath or Hadlee) and someone more aggressive who can mover around the ball, old or new (Steyn, Imran, Wasim)

I want the best combination, without having all three from the same era, and having at least one decent bat at 8 (Imran or Hadlee)

Hence the proposed combinations

shortpitched713

International Captain
My All Time XI (of cricket as I know it)

No Don, no currently playing players, and no one from eras in which cricket is vastly different than it is now ( so uncovered pitch era, or even the era of no video footage! are all out )

01. Sunil Gavaskar
02. Matthew Hayden
03. Kumar Sangakkara +
04. Brian Lara
05. Viv Richards
06. Garry Sobers * (4,5)
07. Javed Miandad
08. Imran Khan* / Shaun Pollock (3)
09. Richard Hadlee / Shaun Pollock (2)
10. Muttiah Muralitharan (4,5)
11. Glenn McGrath (1)

Had to have a think over the lower order. I think at 8 and 9, Imran/Pollock/Hadlee offer more value than Ambrose/Steyn. I would bring in Warne for Hadlee, if it is a true Sri Lankan cracker jack of a turning wicket, but I realize that it does weaken the batting.

No one likes my batsmen, I already know that. Think Shaun Pollock is massively underrated though. I think he's a better bat than Hadlee ( not that controversial ), and a better bowler than Imran ( definitely much more controversial ).

I do think for my first choice I'd pick Hadlee first of the 3, as the best bowler and new ball partner to McGrath, and then Imran as a better all-rounder coming at 8 ( and also as captain over Sobers in that configuration). Pollock though, unlucky to miss out, for mine as one of the truly highest impact cricketers of all time.

Victor Ian

International Coach

No Don, no currently playing players, and no one from eras in which cricket is vastly different than it is now ( so uncovered pitch era, or even the era of no video footage! are all out )

01. Sunil Gavaskar
02. Matthew Hayden
03. Kumar Sangakkara +
04. Brian Lara
05. Viv Richards
06. Garry Sobers * (4,5)
07. Javed Miandad
11. Glenn McGrath (1)

Had to have a think over the lower order. I think at 8 and 9, Imran/Pollock/Hadlee offer more value than Ambrose/Steyn. I would bring in Warne for Hadlee, if it is a true Sri Lankan cracker jack of a turning wicket, but I realize that it does weaken the batting.

No one likes my batsmen, I already know that. Think Shaun Pollock is massively underrated though. I think he's a better bat than Hadlee ( not that controversial ), and a better bowler than Imran ( definitely much more controversial ).

I do think for my first choice I'd pick Hadlee first of the 3, as the best bowler and new ball partner to McGrath, and then Imran as a better all-rounder coming at 8 ( and also as captain over Sobers in that configuration). Pollock though, unlucky to miss out, for mine as one of the truly highest impact cricketers of all time.
in particular, no one like your #3, and that is before we consider his cricket skills.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!

01. Sunil Gavaskar
02. Matthew Hayden
03. Kumar Sangakkara +
04. Brian Lara
05. Viv Richards
06. Garry Sobers * (4,5)
07. Javed Miandad
11. Glenn McGrath (1)

It's not good, but it's not as bad as I expected to be tbh

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

01. Sunil Gavaskar
02. Matthew Hayden
03. Kumar Sangakkara +
04. Brian Lara
05. Viv Richards
06. Garry Sobers * (4,5)
07. Javed Miandad
11. Glenn McGrath (1)

Don't you think Weekes is the second-best batsman ever or something? Why isn't he there?

bagapath

International Captain

01. Sunil Gavaskar
02. Matthew Hayden
03. Kumar Sangakkara +
04. Brian Lara
05. Viv Richards
06. Garry Sobers * (4,5)
07. Javed Miandad
11. Glenn McGrath (1)

Shaun Pollock was a cracking cricketer in every sense. But he was not as good as Imran as a bowler or batsman. He is certainly a contender for an all-time XI. But he doesn't stand a chance against Imran in a head to head comparison.

Everyone likes your batsmen. But having your wicket keeper bat at 3 is not going to help your team.

Having said all that the down right bad decision in your selection is having Miandad bat at 7. Absolutely useless there. No batsman of that style (accumulator)/ caliber (long innings champ) should bat that low in any test team.

If we were to stick to the names you have chosen, a better team sheet would look like is IMO

01. Sunil Gavaskar
02. Matthew Hayden
03. Viv Richards
04. Brian Lara
05. Javed Miandad
06. Garfield Sobers (4,5) *
07. Kumar Sangakkara +
08. Imran Khan (1)
09. Richard Hadlee (2)
11. Glenn McGrath (3)

12th man: Shaun Pollock

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I actually think it'd be interesting to go with Sanga at 3 ( because his biggest strength was huge scores ) and put Viv down at 7 to basically do a Gilchrist role which no one else in the team is capable of.
Yeah I don't hate it in theory but Sanga wasn't really an ATG #3 while he was still keeping so it's harder to justify.

Qlder

International Debutant

01. Sunil Gavaskar
02. Matthew Hayden
03. Kumar Sangakkara +
04. Brian Lara
05. Viv Richards
06. Garry Sobers * (4,5)
07. Javed Miandad
11. Glenn McGrath (1)

This must be trolling having such a great batsman as Javed Miandad at #7

Qlder

International Debutant
Ok then who do you want at 7? And if you say Gilchrist, then your gripe is much more about the keeper situation than Miandad batting 7.
Miandad is a #4 and makes the 2nd or 3rd XI as such. All this bat ATG out of order that they played their whole career is a joke, like people who bat Gilchrist 6 to fit in their allrounder at 7

If Gilly batted 7 for Australia his entire career, why would he bat 6 for an ATG XI?

Last edited: