• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Unofficial* New Zealand Black Caps Thread

Flem274*

123/5
I'm not on the Foxcroft hype train yet but either he or McConchie will definitely go to the World Cup. The team balance almost relies on having a #7 who bowls right arm fingerspin.

OnTheBank

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I feel as if batting Foxcroft at seven would be an unfair start to his international career. He doesn't bat with the same level of explosiveness as Mike Bracewell, or someone like Phillips.

It is important to bring guys in where they are used to playing.

While Phillips is an important player at five. He could be seen as an option at seven to lift the tempo.

ataraxia

International Coach
Remember when Conway wasn't played for the 2020/21 tests when he was first eligible, due to Young somehow being selected on a #peckingorder basis?

Think Foxcroft might be left out for the WC for similar reasons, especially given he's nowhere near as superior over McConchie etc. than Conway was over Young.

Mike5181

International Captain
I feel as if batting Foxcroft at seven would be an unfair start to his international career. He doesn't bat with the same level of explosiveness as Mike Bracewell, or someone like Phillips.

It is important to bring guys in where they are used to playing.

While Phillips is an important player at five. He could be seen as an option at seven to lift the tempo.
Would it be the worst idea in the world to put someone like Finn Allen at 7 and ask him to replicate what Bracewell did? Like either of Latham/Mitchell would be competent opening.

1. Devon Conway
2. Tom Latham
3. Kane Williamson
4. Daryl Mitchell
5. Dean Foxcroft
6. Glenn Phillips
7. Finn Allen
8. Mitchell Santner
9. Matt Henry
10. Lockie Ferguson/Tim Southee/Adam Milne/Ish Sodhi
11. Trent Boult

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Would it be the worst idea in the world to put someone like Finn Allen at 7 and ask him to replicate what Bracewell did? Like either of Latham/Mitchell would be competent opening.

1. Devon Conway
2. Tom Latham
3. Kane Williamson
4. Daryl Mitchell
5. Dean Foxcroft
6. Glenn Phillips
7. Finn Allen
8. Mitchell Santner
9. Matt Henry
10. Lockie Ferguson/Tim Southee/Adam Milne/Ish Sodhi
11. Trent Boult
Might as well give Clarkson the spot if you're going to do that, imo.

ataraxia

International Coach
Just realised that the two SA tests start on a Sunday and a Tuesday. Grief. Seems that the obvious solution to the SA20 debacle is to move the tests to Thursday and Friday and thereby hopefully ensure that at least for the second test SA can field a proper side. Of course, this extremely obvious move won't happen because it would interfere with some random 3 T20Is v Aus before that test series.

Madness that Australia aren't playing 3 tests here anyway; perhaps even more awful than franchise bench players being disallowed from playing tests. ****ing insane. It's in the perfect time zone for them, after their home summer and before winter sport, likely to be a close series (optimism), and yet it isn't even a series at all.

Flem274*

123/5
Just realised that the two SA tests start on a Sunday and a Tuesday. Grief. Seems that the obvious solution to the SA20 debacle is to move the tests to Thursday and Friday and thereby hopefully ensure that at least for the second test SA can field a proper side. Of course, this extremely obvious move won't happen because it would interfere with some random 3 T20Is v Aus before that test series.

Madness that Australia aren't playing 3 tests here anyway; perhaps even more awful than franchise bench players being disallowed from playing tests. ****ing insane. It's in the perfect time zone for them, after their home summer and before winter sport, likely to be a close series (optimism), and yet it isn't even a series at all.
You write this like the assassination of test cricket isn't NZCs goal.

If we have disappointing attendance and TV ratings for 2 popular teams then they can justify more t20 series.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not on the Foxcroft hype train yet but either he or McConchie will definitely go to the World Cup. The team balance almost relies on having a #7 who bowls right arm fingerspin.
Is Foxcroft a finisher? I haven't seen bugger all of him. McConchie ain't it. I'm over the moon for him that he's played for NZ, and done OK...but he's got Andrew Ellis written all over him. Even the innings' he did score runs in Pakistan, it's very obvious he's not a natural hitter and just doesn't strike it that well. But you know, safe player, is from Canterbury, someone post that meme of a man in a yellow jacket behind a tree licking his lips at the thought...that's Gary Stead.

Flem274*

123/5
Is Foxcroft a finisher? I haven't seen bugger all of him. McConchie ain't it. I'm over the moon for him that he's played for NZ, and done OK...but he's got Andrew Ellis written all over him. Even the innings' he did score runs in Pakistan, it's very obvious he's not a natural hitter and just doesn't strike it that well. But you know, safe player, is from Canterbury, someone post that meme of a man in a yellow jacket behind a tree licking his lips at the thought...that's Gary Stead.
Top order player - batted 3 for Otago this season.
I don't disagree he is primarily a top order player, however top order players can transition very well into a finisher role. Michael Hussey and Michael Bevan are the premier examples, and closer to home it is exactly what Michael Bracewell has done to reasonable results.

Foxcroft batted lower down for Central at least on occasion (to fit him into the side) and I remember him being respectable. Sometimes we're just going to have to make something work and I would rather keep things that are working as they are, so I'd give Foxcroft or McConchie the Macewell role and not hold it against them if it doesn't work out.

Ofc selectors around the world love to hold players failing out of position against them forever so I understand your hesitancy, but hey we got a world cup to win and we aren't going to win it if we don't pick a team.

I'm completely open to Josh Clarkson as a 'bolter' (should have been in the team for a year already ffs) but we know the selectors think he sucks because they refuse to pick him even when he wins Central titles with bat and ball. Sucks to suck NZC.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I didn't necessarily mean where does Foxcroft bat, I meant is he a capable finisher/death hitter moreso. Like with Macewell, yes he's batted high for Wellington but he is a natural striker, big guy who times it well. Same as GP, bats high for Auckland/Otago but can clear the boundary.

You just can't give the Macewell role to McConchie. Not if you have any intention of beating good sides. I don't begrudge the guy playing for NZ but he just ain't it when you look at international cricket. Not with the ball, although he *may* do a passable job on his day, but no one will ever convince me he's going to clatter any good sides with the bat. When you look at the comparable List A stats between Foxcroft and McConchie, it's not even a contest as to who should get first go, even if Foxcroft hasn't played for NZ yet.

Having said that, we don't need to insert someone into the Macewell role if no one suits it or is ready for it. We can play Sodhi and Santner, and maybe a mix of Boult/Henry/Southee bowling cutters is the best fit. Santner slight nosebleed at 7 but can finish, and there's enough bits and pieces hitting from the rest if we need it. Puts an onus on the top order to score runs, which is their job.

vandem

International 12th Man
Any thoughts on NZ A squad to visit Aussie Aug-Sep? Two 4 day FC games 28/08 - 07/09 , three 50 over games 10/09 - 15/09.

My understanding is that the NZ to UAE T20I squad (containing some "A" players Bowes, McConchie, Foxcroft, Cleaver, Shipley, Ashok) also travel to England for T20I warm up games 25/08 and 27/08, and so won't be available for FC part of the NZ A tour. Chapman, Ravindra and Siefert in T20I squads to both UAE and England so not available at all.

I assume "senior pros" Cooper, Carter, Bruce, Fletcher, Ajaz, Duffy, Kuggs etc roll out again for NZ A.

Abbas, Hay, O'Rourke were the fresh faces in NZ A squad vs Aust A in Apr, assume they will tour if available.

Any young(er) players you want to see touring with NZ A? Perhaps Parkes, Clarkson, Nathan Smith, Chu, Keene? (unless they are injured or playing non-FC in UK, I didn't check).

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Boult and Jamieson big ins, especially Jamieson without any other cricket.

Ravindra I don't like as an ODI option, should be Foxcroft. You already have Santner as a LA spinner, Sodhi (I take it he's out on Hundred duty) who turns it that way too. I presume they won't bowl Phillips but they probably should.