• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test (The Oval, London) 27-31 July

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
think this series has shown that the ICC should make england play in front of no crowds for a year or two

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Murphy had played eight FC matches before his test debut. I remember Lyon having a not so stellar FC record before playing tests. I reckon Murphy has something about him and I wouldn't worry too much about him replacing Lyon.
I think Lyon had played even fewer FC games than that. He was picked almost on the back of T20 cricket which is funny when you look back now and he's not been a white ball spinner at all

Qlder

International Debutant
Hmmm, 17 more runs and Warner is guaranteed of a 30+ average for the series. 37 more runs and he becomes the 2nd highest run scorer for Australia

Warner can dish some significant humble pie today if he goes on with it

Skipper Pup

U19 Cricketer
I find the timing of the Broad announcement a little weird.

There are legends on both sides that are likely playing their last ever Ashes tests but Stuart goes out and makes it all about him. When interviewed about it he said it's something he's been considering for a few days - so why wait until England are on top in the final test before making it public? It would be interesting to know when exactly he woke up feeling like he didn't want to play anymore. Could it have been weeks ago but he sat on it because of the series score line? Was he going to play on if Australia had gone up 0-3? Was it decided at 2-1 when there was a huge chance the final test would be a decider at 2-2 for a fairy tale ending? We may never know.

Not saying there's anything wrong with what he's doing, the bloke is a legend and can go on his own terms, but it doesn't quite sit right with me. For that reason it would be more than a little funny if Australia snatched victory to send him off in style.

loterry1994

International Debutant
think this series has shown that the ICC should make england play in front of no crowds for a year or two
England like the only place they fill up the crowds day 1-5. Uzzy an absolute soft **** when it comes to this guys like broad, kp, Warner copped it way worse in the past

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

There are legends on both sides that are likely playing their last ever Ashes tests but Stuart goes out and makes it all about him. When interviewed about it he said it's something he's been considering for a few days - so why wait until England are on top in the final test before making it public? It would be interesting to know when exactly he woke up feeling like he didn't want to play anymore. Could it have been weeks ago but he sat on it because of the series score line? Was he going to play on if Australia had gone up 0-3? Was it decided at 2-1 when there was a huge chance the final test would be a decider at 2-2 for a fairy tale ending? We may never know.

Not saying there's anything wrong with what he's doing, the bloke is a legend and can go on his own terms, but it doesn't quite sit right with me. For that reason it would be more than a little funny if Australia snatched victory to send him off in style.
I think the public, media etc deserve the opportunity to farewell cricketers of Broad's quality. And the ECB would also be keen to play it out as positive PR, as well. I don't think it's fair to say it's all about Stuey.

The guy is bowling really well and could definitely go on, so I guess good on him for pulling the plug on a high.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Let’s be honest here, if Aus held their catches this test they’d need about 30 tomorrow, if the game wasn’t already over. They’ve already had a #moralvictory and have saved test cricket in this game. What happens tomorrow doesn’t matter.

#postlikeStokes
U also think u shud #declarelikeStokes tomm first thing?

Spark

Global Moderator
^ I don't know what cricket people have been watching but I'm guessing 99% of cricketers announce their retirement just before or during their last match. The amount of flak for Broad doing the same is ridiculous

Warner the anomaly announcing his retirement 9 tests before
Yeah I remember when people had a whack at Clarke for doing roughly the same thing. Like ****, the bloke has taken 600 wickets for his country, won a **** ton of series for them, been their best bowler in this one. Let him have his moment in the sun, he's earned it. There's a real mean-spirited pettiness about these sorts of criticisms IMO.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Personally, I think it's better when they announce it to their team before the game but to public, after. But it's a choice for the person doing it. They can do it when they feel most comfortable.

Kumble announced his retirement with a session to go and game already sure to be a draw. Sachin announced a farewell series at home. Dhoni announced post game. Warner is ensuring a complete farewell tour. Different strokes for different folks.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year

Utter junk.