• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test (The Oval, London) 27-31 July

chris.hinton

International Captain
Australia have to approach the 5th day as to start the innings again

We need 250 to win and have 10 wickets. It's very doable of course.

loterry1994

International Debutant
Aus just got to come out with the same intent tomorrow. Batting just seems way easier when they put some pressure on their bowlers. These two have looked as good as ever this series by going after their bowlers a bit more today.

They’d be absolutely stupid to play for a draw early tomorrow can only see them blocking it out if they’re like 4 or more down needing 150 something

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Aus just got to come out with the same intent tomorrow. Batting just seems way easier when they put some pressure on their bowlers. These two have looked as good as ever this series by going after their bowlers a bit more today.

They’d be absolutely stupid to play for a draw early tomorrow can only see them blocking it out if they’re like 4 or more down needing 150 something
It all depends on the weather ..If 30 or 40 overs are wiped out due to rain and you need like 249 off 50 overs rather it's better to play for a draw and win the series

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
Warner, Khawaja , Smith , Lyon , Starc all are at the stage of their careers where they may either retire soon or their best days are behind them , its been well documented on CW that the next gen aren't as good as the seniors ..England on the other hand have some youthful talent that are playing a fearless brand of cricket .
Warner going to retire we all know this however Bancroft is very Talented he could replace Warner to a point.

^We don't get a Opener on level of Warner for a while.

Smith out of his prime however if he's still playing come next ashes England will still struggle with him at times.

Lyon has already shown longevity can't see him not playing in the next ashes if he's still playing.

Starc I agree nothing else to say...

Khawaja unlikely but never know.

Yes England might have better young Talent than us. however apart from 2-3 players Australia will have mosty the same team in next ashes series.

Labuschagne is perfect replacement for Smith regardless already in the team.

The only spots Australia need to worry about is the opening batsman and maybe spiner if lyon goes.

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
Australia would like the rain to be either completely gone or piss down

Something in-between where they need to go on and off and remain overcast will help England

Gob

International Coach
Also if the roles were reversed and England were in this position, I'd back them to get these runs at a canter

Australia are hilariously bad at 4th innings chases

kevinw

International 12th Man
Warner going to retire we all know this however Bancroft is very Talented he could replace Warner to a point.

^We don't get a Opener on level of Warner for a while.

Smith out of his prime however if he's still playing come next ashes England will still struggle with him at times.

Lyon has already shown longevity can't see him not playing in the next ashes if he's still playing.

Starc I agree nothing else to say...

Khawaja unlikely but never know.

Yes England might have better young Talent than us. however apart from 2-3 players Australia will have mosty the same team in next ashes series.

Labuschagne is perfect replacement for Smith regardless already in the team.

The only spots Australia need to worry about is the opening batsman and maybe spiner if lyon goes.
Murphy had played eight FC matches before his test debut. I remember Lyon having a not so stellar FC record before playing tests. I reckon Murphy has something about him and I wouldn't worry too much about him replacing Lyon.

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
Can’t see Australia getting 250 in 50 overs if where's rain around just play for the draw.

If Australia get full day of play go for the win until few wickets are lost then block out.

Honestly might be better if Australian block out 1st session than see where we are at lunch.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Can’t see Australia getting 250 in 50 overs if where's rain around just play for the draw.

If Australia get full day of play go for the win until few wickets are lost then block out.

Honestly might be better if Australian block out 1st session than see where we are at lunch.
If Warner and Khawaja can hang around for another 15-20 overs tomorrow ...
Would you be tempted to change the batting order ?
I'd take a punt on Todd Murphy , I was impressed with his ball striking ability in the first innings ..

danzydab

U19 Debutant

its possible that there is no rain tomorrow.

australia should be pretty confident in chasing this. this 5th day pitch could play a few tricks, so never know.
but for now the chase is on

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
If Warner and Khawaja can hang around for another 15-20 overs tomorrow ...
Would you be tempted to change the batting order ?
I'd take a punt on Todd Murphy , I was impressed with his ball striking ability in the first innings ..
I would definitely change the batting order put Murphy up to grab fast 50-60 runs off the Total in partnership with Labuschagne.

100% agree but that about Starc? He's also great choice for that role.

Silver Silva

International Debutant
I would definitely change the batting order put Murphy up to grab fast 50-60 runs off the Total in partnership with Labuschagne.

100% agree but that about Starc? He's also great choice for that role.
Yeah he to is suitable..My thinking is that it's not normal to chase down 350+ totals in Tests , so perhaps a stretching out of batting resources may come in handy , it's quite common that after a big partnership one wicket brings two cause of momentum factor of bowling side , so to counter that you bring in someone whose not fazed at playing shots ..If Murphy gets out cheaply you've only lost a No.10 ..If Murphy hangs around the fielding team gets frustrated and can lose their composure ..Plus if it comes down to the last couple of wickets its a nice luxury to have Cummins at no.10 the captain who already shown he can finish an innings off .

Gob

International Coach
Yeah he to is suitable..My thinking is that it's not normal to chase down 350+ totals in Tests , so perhaps a stretching out of batting resources may come in handy , it's quite common that after a big partnership one wicket brings two cause of momentum factor of bowling side , so to counter that you bring in someone whose not fazed at playing shots ..If Murphy gets out cheaply you've only lost a No.10 ..If Murphy hangs around the fielding team gets frustrated and can lose their composure ..Plus if it comes down to the last couple of wickets its a nice luxury to have Cummins at no.10 the captain who already shown he can finish an innings off .
Well its not 350 now though that's the beauty of having all 10 wickets. They can simply approach it as if they are chasing 250. Personally don't see the need to do anything funky just play normal cricket for two sessions and you'd be about 50 from the target with 5/6 wickets in hand

Feels like Australia have the control and England need a collapse from Australia to win which is a great situation to be considering they were hopeless last night

Cricket CoachDB

U19 Debutant
Much as I have been a huge supporter of Broad throughout his career, you've got to say-could he not have just waited until the end of the game? It's made it a bit of a circus and surely must have been a distraction for the England players-most of all him. The batting this morning was a bit farcical and the constant face-pulling when he was bowling isn't something he used to do. His eyes were on stalks and he seemed a bit too busy taking in that this was the end. Just a bit of an egotistical move I think.

Shady Slim

International Coach
i think it was athers said on the comms: a hallmark of the quicker scoring of this england team means a fourth innings run might start on day four where the pitch is still pretty good, deterioration of the wicket hasn’t set in yet

so true!