• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test (The Oval, London) 27-31 July

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
England should have WTC points taken away for their slow over Rates.

And if the rain takes the day away it's England fault for not taking wickets in 1st session.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why oh why had wood not bowled but the pie chucker Ali has.We really are in trouble after this series.No Broad and should be no Anderson and Ali.New men needed but selection should not be left to stokes alone as he has already got it totally wrong with Anderson and Ali.
On the contrary, you'll be better off. Better bowlers like Robinson and Tongue are missing out because of the old fellas refusing to go, and there are better spinners than Moeen Ali floating around local club reserve teams

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
run penalties? For every over behind the rate penalise 5 runs
Well it's not always the fielding team slowing the game down. Batsmen having gloves run out, extra drinks. All this kinda ****

But yeah, they really need to make a call in the moment

TheJediBrah

Well it's not always the fielding team slowing the game down. Batsmen having gloves run out, extra drinks. All this kinda ****

But yeah, they really need to make a call in the moment
Agree, whatever the solution it's down to the umpires to make judgements. But if this series is evidence they can't even make straight forward decisions with any reasonable success rate do what now

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
On the contrary, you'll be better off. Better bowlers like Robinson and Tongue are missing out because of the old fellas refusing to go, and there are better spinners than Moeen Ali floating around local club reserve teams
Lobinson and Tongue are better than England greatest duo Broad and Anderson tell me your joking 😂.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Agree, whatever the solution it's down to the umpires to make judgements. But if this series is evidence they can't even make straight forward decisions with any reasonable success rate do what now
Yeah whatever the punishments are you need the umpires to do it on the field and make a judgement call. When it's a really important and tense period of play who cares...but when theres not much happening or deliberate slowing down of play they need to step in

Victor Ian

International Coach
I don't like this slowing down of scoring rate. It always leads to a wicket. They need to up it to prevent themselves not only losing 1, but the usual couple that follow soon after.

TheJediBrah

I don't like this slowing down of scoring rate. It always leads to a wicket. They need to up it to prevent themselves not only losing 1, but the usual couple that follow soon after.
Ah but that's often why it leads to a wicket. They change their game and do something they're not comfortable with to try and up the rate and end up getting out. Which is exactly why Stokes is setting these fields

Silver Silva

International Debutant
It's fascinating contrast of styles ..Basically Tortoise vs The Hare fable that has come to life .

Burgey

I think they were just getting themselves in again after lunch.

nice shot by Warner that late cut off Anderson

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
80 overs yesterday, over rates are appalling. the powers that be definitely need to address time loss factors, would deter time wasting for starters.

Day 1 (81.4 overs) : England 54.4 overs, Australia 25.0 overs (2 overs for change of innings)
Day 2 (78.1 overs) : Australia 78.1 overs, no change of innings
Day 3 (80.0 overs) : England 80.0 overs, no changes of innings
Day 4 (27.5 overs)* : England 1.5 overs, Australia 24.0 overs (2 overs for change of innings)

*lunch, about as close to on track for the supposed 90 'minimum' as has been all Test, may as well aim for 75 'minimum' excluding changes of innings unless they intend to do anything about it other than fines and maybe ban after a while for the captain - not that you notice absences of captains much to show any reinforcement, much like the token FFP and racism fines in football

and before the predictable chorus of "England waste time blah blah blah..." as seems to be the way on this forum, this isn't about who does it, it is how to address the problem regardless of who does it, who benefits etc

- stop wasting time on drinks breaks, fielders can get a drink from 12th man at boundary and umpires can hold a flask for those not able to easily and want a drink

- cut the time down on reviews, don't need 15 (?) seconds to request IF it is an obvious error, and speed up reviews although they aren't that bad. I'd revert to the original set up on reviews and abandon the retention for "umpires call", if it isn't a clanger shouldn't be reviewing it - we know WHY they do, need a wicket, and really wouldn't want a side with no reviews not to miss out on a wicket lost, but ultimately they need to stop second guesses and review for the purpose intended

- speed over rate up, preference for me is batsmen choose bowler when rate is slow, but a timer and field changes minimalised and everyone has to be in position at elapsed time point

- time the bowlers overs, any behind rate get either "yellow card" and 2x equals miss next game or simply play in game, any bowler slow in bowling overs is taken out of the attack

- batsmen interfering with the over rate by delaying is warned and then given out next offence

- revise this nonsense about "artificial light" and also the end time cut-off, if light is good enough the they should play, under floodlights if it isn't, and start half an hour earlier for play lost to anything, rain or time wasted although enough other measures should make it only for rain.
I think this post is worse than saying Murphy should open the bowling. @Spark you may have set a dangerous precedent, especially if this happened on a day I was drinking.

TheJediBrah

I think they were just getting themselves in again after lunch.

nice shot by Warner that late cut off Anderson
Yeah it was. Waited for the right ball for it too. It will be dangerous if they try and do it with the fuller lengths England are mostly operating at

Silver Silva

International Debutant
What a shot by Warner, reminds me of Arjuna Ranatunga that late glance stroke to the fine leg he was the master of it in One day cricket