• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

kyear2

International Coach
Fails on account of variety for me too. Really don't want to play 2 RA channel bowlers, and I would sooner drop Sobers than Hadlee.
Fully agree with this point, wouldn't have Hadlee and McGrath in the same attack.

I only have 5 bowlers in my top tier, in order they are
Maco
Pigeon
Paddles
Steyn
Amby
With 3 and 4 being interchangeable depending on what day it is.
So for me the best attack would come from that list, while having the most possible variety, with everyone bringing something different to the table.
So with McGrath and Hadlee being (very) similar bowlers, but Hadlee being a much better bat, that swings it for me in his favor. He opens with Marshall and fills the bowling all rounder spot with Steyn being first change and going all out alongside Murali.

Silver Line

U19 Debutant
Hadlee Akram and Marshall are in world xi because they can do what other top tier bowlers can do but as a bonus bat as well at the same time to boost team strength level

kyear2

International Coach
Hadlee Akram and Marshall are in world xi because they can do what other top tier bowlers can do but as a bonus bat as well at the same time to boost team strength level
But Akram for me is closer to borderline top 10 than he is to my top 5 and definitely not as good as Steyn, but know many would disagree.

Silver Line

U19 Debutant
But Akram for me is closer to borderline top 10 than he is to my top 5 and definitely not as good as Steyn, but know many would disagree.
the difference between these bowlers in the top 10 is way too low to argue. At the end of the day these top 10-15 whatever bowlers will do better in different conditions than eachother but overall they were all an equal luxury to have in an attack. Batting is where the differences are high as not every one of these top 10 bowlers had the capability to provide with the bat on top of their world class spells.

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
the difference between these bowlers in the top 10 is way too low to argue. At the end of the day these top 10-15 whatever bowlers will do better in different conditions than eachother but overall they were all an equal luxury to have in an attack. Batting is where the differences are high as not every one of these top 10 bowlers had the capability to provide with the bat on top of their world class spells.
Nope, attaining betterment beyond a point is tougher and tougher as you keep going. Steyn has a better home away record than Akram, bowled in a more batter friendly era, better SR. Akram is top 10, but Steyn is top 5. Also in an all time XI, once you have batting that’s supremely good, you don’t need your tail to bat well also. Same way, Tendulkar>Kallis too.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nope, attaining betterment beyond a point is tougher and tougher as you keep going. Steyn has a better home away record than Akram, bowled in a more batter friendly era, better SR. Akram is top 10, but Steyn is top 5. Also in an all time XI, once you have batting that’s supremely good, you don’t need your tail to bat well also. Same way, Tendulkar>Kallis too.
Akram had much tougher home decks. It's not as clear cut who had the better home record. And Akram played much longer too. Remember how Steyn was a shell of himself in his last few years? Well Akram played 5 years past that point and did well enough.

Silver Line

U19 Debutant
Not everything is stats dude, akram has had like 50 catches dropped of him while Steyn’s precious home record is built on juicy yummy grass pitches. Anyone who’s watched them both would know Akram is just as difficult to face.

waqar whos stats are near identical to steyn’s was always put side by side or second option to akram. And that speaks

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
Akram had much tougher home decks. It's not as clear cut who had the better home record. And Akram played much longer too. Remember how Steyn was a shell of himself in his last few years? Well Akram played 5 years past that point and did well enough.
Steyn has proven himself on dead tracks, and far worse tracks than Wasim(see his spells in Ind, when he blew through an ATG lineup on a dead track). Steyn except Eng has a good record everywhere, and in a much more batting friendly era.

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
Not everything is stats dude, akram has had like 50 catches dropped of him while Steyn’s precious home record is built on juicy yummy grass pitches. Anyone who’s watched them both would know Akram is just as difficult to face.

waqar whos stats are near identical to steyn’s was always put side by side or second option to akram. And that speaks
Cmon check Waqar’s performance across countries and you’ll know the difference. And generally Steyn bowled in an era of more batting friendly wickets.

Silver Line

U19 Debutant
And akram being able to sustain his fitness to play 5 more years, is not his fault. Steyn if he continued 5 more years would not have been able to parallel Akram anymore. And Akram played with diabetes too lol. Trust me dude in everyones general consensus without looking at stats and stuff, Akram comes off as the most rated bowler

trundler

Steyn has proven himself on dead tracks, and far worse tracks than Wasim(see his spells in Ind, when he blew through an ATG lineup on a dead track). Steyn except Eng has a good record everywhere, and in a much more batting friendly era.
And on the same tracks he was carted for a triple century. And no, those wickets were not much worse than many SC tracks during Akram's career. And Akram was better than Steyn in both Australia and England.

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
And akram being able to sustain his fitness to play 5 more years, is not his fault. Steyn if he continued 5 more years would not have been able to parallel Akram anymore. And Akram played with diabetes too lol. Trust me dude in everyones general consensus without looking at stats and stuff, Akram comes off as the most rated bowler
This is just speculation. Look at the actual facts. We can just conjecture further

trundler

This is just speculation. Look at the actual facts. We can just conjecture further
The fact is that Akram had a much longer career than Steyn and it's not his fault he was still a good test bowler beyond the point Steyn was no longer fit enough to play tests.

HouHsiaoHsien

International Debutant
And on the same tracks he was carted for a triple century. And no, those wickets were not much worse than many SC tracks during Akram's career. And Akram was better than Steyn in both Australia and England.
Both were average in Aus. The mid 2000s SC tracks were some of the most batting friendly wickets ever. Akram is better Steyn in Eng(wickets in Eng were flatter then than in 90s), but both have mediocre record there. Strum’s average indicates he is worse than Akram there, but again he bowled on much flatter tracks, and has some great spells there. So much closer in Aus also. In Ind, Wasim’s record is not good, Steyns is just next to Marshall and Mcgrath