• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test (The Oval, London) 27-31 July

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lillee retired at 34 and was considered ancient
Same as Trueman. Those 2 had the longest careers for a pacer. Davo was done by his early 30s and Lindwall lost some of his years to the War so played longer but was less effective.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, a lot of these guys wouldn't have even known they had stress fractures back in the day. There's even an interview with Geoff Lawson where he said he was diagnosed with a stress fracture and just ignored it.
I played with Whitney and he played on the Saturday after having an arthroscopy during the week as he needed to prove his fitness for the Shield the following week

Workload management wasn’t a thing & availability was left up to the players

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
3.1 economy rate, Broad needs to GO. Ive had enough, we have tongue waiting in line and Robbie whos been better is missing out because of him. England must drop him next series ive had enough
My fearless prediction is that Broad won’t play the next test

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Warner right in the ‘gonna get out any moment’ score range

Khawaja looking like nabbing top scorer, if he’s not already there

TheJediBrah

England setting very good fields here. I can see Khawaja especially really struggle to score. Good defensive cricket

Owzat

U19 Captain
Khawaja looking like nabbing top scorer, if he’s not already there
not quite, whilst Crawley didn't push on after lunch yesterday he did leave Khawaja needing to score 57 - he's just over halfway there

Head could conceivably pinch it IF he came in fairly soon and hit a big hundred

Silver Silva

International Debutant
Probably. Also Glenn McGrath at 37 was man of the tournament in a World Cup

I'm sure there are many others pre-1990s that as you know, I will not be aware of
Wasn't basing it off ODI cricket cause Anderson didn't play any odi cricket at 35+ age ..

Here are the records of Hadlee and McGrath entering their 35th year till retirement in Tests :

Sir Richard Hadlee
1986-1990 :
26 Tests - 132 wickets @ 21.73

Glenn McGrath
2005-2007 :
19 Tests - 86 wickets @ 23.02

James Anderson
2017-2023*
61 Tests - 223 wickets @ 21.84

Anderson is the Sir Jack Hobbs of fast bowling

Burgey

Which 4th innings passenger will do better today, Smith or Anderson?
Maybe if Anderson bowls to Smith here, the ball will get half way down the pitch and just stop mid-air because it won’t know what to do and who to favour between them