• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test (The Oval, London) 27-31 July

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
He has objectively cost waaaaaay more with the gloves than he has provided with the bat over what Foakes would have made
That's my take on it too, irrespective of the run-out opportunity. I was trying to think of when I've seen a keeper replaced mid-series because of his poor keeping, even though the replacement wasn't as good with the bat. Obviously I've seen several replaced because of their batting. Off the top of my head, I can only remember Downton being replaced by Taylor after the first two tests in 1981, and that didn't work out too badly.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
That's my take on it too, irrespective of the run-out opportunity. I was trying to think of when I've seen a keeper replaced mid-series because of his poor keeping, even though the replacement wasn't as good with the bat. Obviously I've seen several replaced because of their batting. Off the top of my head, I can only remember Downton being replaced by Taylor after the first two tests in 1981, and that didn't work out too badly.
Read replaced Jones during the 2006/07 series. Read clearly the better keeper but both pretty **** with the bat. Didn't help them though, still 5-0.

91Jmay

International Coach
Oh Ward has proven that is out then, that is actually pretty great work from him ha but as he said it took him ages so can't give it out as objectively that is too much doubt.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Read replaced Jones during the 2006/07 series. Read clearly the better keeper but both pretty **** with the bat. Didn't help them though, still 5-0.
Well remembered there. Was that because Jones was having a shocking series behind the stumps? Or had his batting deteriorated so badly that they thought Read might actually make more runs?

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Why are they still fudging over the run out issue. Jeez if you break the stumps with force it's not physically possible for the ****ing bails to still be on. It's not that hard

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Well remembered there. Was that because Jones was having a shocking series behind the stumps? Or had his batting deteriorated so badly that they thought Read might actually make more runs?
Mostly the runs as I recall. Old Duncan was one of the original keeper-batter beats pure keeper preachers wasnt he. There was a feeling that Gilchrist and possibly Andy Flower were keeper-batters more than keepers. But not sure who were better pure keepers in their countries than them anyway - Healy was right at the end of his career by then.