• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

_00_deathscar

International Regular
The Mortal Kombat XIs - two scenarios

A) Earth needs 420 runs on a tough wicket for a must win.
B) After batting first, Earth is 400 runs behind at the start of day 3 and needs to either survive or find a way to win

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I saw these comments about a Benaud XI he picked, and found that in 2004 he picked a World XI of the 20th century ( found in a Melbourne Age newspaper article). Yes, Marshall was omitted but it included Viv and Sobers so it was hardly anti-West Indian. To me the biggest controversy was picking Gilchrist for a 20th cent side since he debuted in November 1999.

Anyway, Richie's side was:
Hobbs, Gavaskar, Bradman, Tendulkar, Viv Richards, Sobers, Imran, Gilchrist, Warne, Barnes, Lillee

4 Aussies, 2 Poms, 2 Indians, 2 West Indians, 1 Pakistani

peterhrt

U19 Vice-Captain
On commentary Warne never seemed to rate Gilchrist's wicket-keeping. He once claimed that he had been fortunate to play with two top-class Australian keepers: Ian Healy and Darren Berry. He also said that Berry should have played Tests (presumably instead of Gilchrist).

Warne rarely appeared to give McGrath much credit either, damning him with faint praise like "good line and length bowler" and "kept it tight."

Don't know how far his personal relationship with them came into it.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
On commentary Warne never seemed to rate Gilchrist's wicket-keeping. He once claimed that he had been fortunate to play with two top-class Australian keepers: Ian Healy and Darren Berry. He also said that Berry should have played Tests (presumably instead of Gilchrist).

Warne rarely appeared to give McGrath much credit either, damning him with faint praise like "good line and length bowler" and "kept it tight."

Don't know how far his personal relationship with them came into it.
Warne never liked Gilly. Thought he was too much of a goody too shoes. But still the idea that Gilchrist was not a good enough keeper was pretty prevalent at the time of Warne.

Bolo.

International Captain
Perhaps there aren’t “many” here. Amongst the greater cricketing fanbase there are definitely many. e.g The first ever time I was introduced to an “ATG XI” with Richie Benaud’s DVD, he wasn’t even included amongst the shortlist of pacers.

Yeah ok he probably is in most people’s top 3 (as is McGrath lets be real). I still think the term lock has different connotations and should only apply to Bradman/Sobers/Gilchrist i.e the 3 who are so far ahead of their competitors that leaving them out is considered a severe detriment and basically can’t be done.
Agree with Kyear that arguably more people leave Gilchrist out than Marshall. It takes one questionable decision to ditch Gilchrist, but there are 3 spots for quicks. Pretty close between them though.

Guys like Hobbs and Mcgrath will make a bunch of teams, but there is nothing like the consensus seen from the top 4.

kyear2

International Coach
I saw these comments about a Benaud XI he picked, and found that in 2004 he picked a World XI of the 20th century ( found in a Melbourne Age newspaper article). Yes, Marshall was omitted but it included Viv and Sobers so it was hardly anti-West Indian. To me the biggest controversy was picking Gilchrist for a 20th cent side since he debuted in November 1999.

Anyway, Richie's side was:
Hobbs, Gavaskar, Bradman, Tendulkar, Viv Richards, Sobers, Imran, Gilchrist, Warne, Barnes, Lillee

4 Aussies, 2 Poms, 2 Indians, 2 West Indians, 1 Pakistani
There wasn't a anti west Indian sentiment, it was more of one against the West Indian quartet. He was well known to not have been a fan of how they played, and when asked about it, that's when he made the aforementioned comment.
None of them even made the shortlist over Trueman, Lindwall, Larwood etc.

kyear2

International Coach
Since when?
I was making reference even to the previously mentioned Wisden XI, where Knott was chosen over Gilly.
He may miss out for some people who may have a weighter preference for keeping over batting prowess.
But agree with your sentiment that for me he's an automatic.

number11

State Regular
All time Sri Lanka Test XI

Atapattu
Jayasuriya
Jayawardne *
Sangakarra
DeSilva
Mathews
P. Jayawarde +
Vaas
Herath
Malinga
Murali

At home that is an awesome side. Watching Murali and Herath spin webs. Excellent batting, good pace options and lots of extra bowling options.

Coronis

International Coach
All time Sri Lanka Test XI

Atapattu
Jayasuriya
Jayawardne *
Sangakarra
DeSilva
Mathews
P. Jayawarde +
Vaas
Herath
Malinga
Murali

At home that is an awesome side. Watching Murali and Herath spin webs. Excellent batting, good pace options and lots of extra bowling options.
Yes lets move our best batsman from his preferred position.

Coronis

International Coach
I know Prasanna is a better keeper than either but idk I feel like either Sanga/Chandimal could keep and you can add the other as an extra batsman - not sure though.

number11

State Regular
I know Prasanna is a better keeper than either but idk I feel like either Sanga/Chandimal could keep and you can add the other as an extra batsman - not sure though.
Always a debate with Lanka but the gloves diminish Sanga as a batsman considerably.

number11

State Regular
They literally batted with Sangakkara at 3 and Jayawardene at 4 for years. Stop being deliberately obtuse.
Mate, I penned the bats in as they occurred to me. I write these sides down in approx order [esp the MO slots] for the wider purpose of debate. Stop being a pedant.