• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank the World Cups

Jumno

First Class Debutant
2003:
Tendulkar, dravid, ganguly, kumble
Ponting, McGrath, lee, Gilchrist, Symonds, Bevan
Astle, Fleming, cairns, bond
Lara, hooper
Wasim, waqur, Anwar
Jayasuriya, de Silva, Murali
Donald, Pollock, klusenar
Flower brothers, streak

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
2003:
Tendulkar, dravid, ganguly, kumble
Ponting, McGrath, lee, Gilchrist, Symonds, Bevan
Astle, Fleming, cairns
Lara, hooper
Wasim, waqur, Anwar
Jayasuriya, de Silva, Murali
Donald, Pollock, klusenar
Flower brothers, streak
Few memorable games tho aside from Ind vs Pak

Jumno

First Class Debutant
Few memorable games tho aside from Ind vs Pak
Sa Vs wi
Eng Vs pak
Ind Vs pak
Ind Vs England
Eng Vs Aus
SA Vs Sri L
Ind Vs Kenya
NZ Vs Aus

WC final could've been interesting if Sehwag was not run out, I only can imagine how long the slogging would last, the score would be

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Trying to be impartial....

1. 2019 - you could knock it down for the rain, but the second half of the tournament was out and out incredible. Lots of good group games, and then you had an arguable Top 10 match of all-time in the semi and probably the greatest game of all-time as the final.
2. 1999 - damp squib final sucks but everything else was great. Two ATG matches against the top teams in the world, and one of the best World Cup runs in general. Quality wise lots of teams seemed to peak here.
3. 1992 - probably the tournament that changed ODI cricket forever. Lots of great moments and a lot of great play. As much as it sucks for associates and weak full member nations I think this and 2019 shows why the 9/10-team format works.
4. 1996 - awesome semi-final that was overshadowed by 99 and a great story in Sri Lanka winning. But that format sucks arse, especially back then when the associates were weaker in quality.
5. 2015 - good group stage with a number of memorable moments, and a great semi against New Zealand and South Africa. I think this tournament however showed some really ugly signs about ODI's as a format going forward, and the final was a bit crap other than the Starc/McCullum ball. In fact other than the NZ semi none of the finals were too great.
6. 2011 - I just kind of remember nothing from this tournament other than South Africa choking again and Kevin O'Brien. The tournament itself was fine but it just seemed really lacking in memorable moments and drama.
7. 2003 - boycotts and rain affected matches ruined this. There actually was a lot of fun matches played but the potential for a great finals stage was ruined by too many weak teams sneaking their way to the top. And in general the tournament lacked great teams.
8. 2007 - I will say this much - the group stage was actually kind of fun. Shame about everything else after that, though.

Think the gap between 4th and 5th is quite large. 2007 clearly the worst by some margin too.

Don't know enough about the 70/80's ones to judge fairly, though it does seem like 83 and 87 were corkers at least.

OverratedSanity

6. 2011 - I just kind of remember nothing from this tournament other than South Africa choking again and Kevin O'Brien. The tournament itself was fine but it just seemed really lacking in memorable moments and drama.
There was a lot of amazing meme value with England's group games and with Pakistan dropping Sachin a dozen times in the SF

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
7. 2003 - boycotts and rain affected matches ruined this. There actually was a lot of fun matches played but the potential for a great finals stage was ruined by too many weak teams sneaking their way to the top. And in general the tournament lacked great teams.
The ICC brought this on themselves with that Byzantium points carry over system meant to be an extra barrier against any minnows, sneaking through to the super 6es by being the best of the rest.

I would have loved to see Kenya v. New Zealand at the Nairobi Gymkhana though. Such a missed opportunity.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
1992 brings back a flood of memories for me, all good ones barring Inzaman breaking our hearts in the semi final.
Played down under, the tournament was an excellent format where a complete round robin was played before the semis came into play.
It was a terrible start to my final year of school because I remember taking almost the entire month off to watch the cricket.
Went to the opening game against Australia as well as that semi final, and the thing that was most memorable were the tactics involved where
Mark Greatbatch was the pinch hitter opening the batting, while Dipak Patel opened the bowling with spin which was unheard of at the time.
Martin Crowe was in the form of his life and was top run-scorer despite carrying a niggling injury.
Unless I'm mistaken this years cup is also a round robin, which is great as you don't have to worry about who has the better group stage draw.

OverratedSanity

1996 was really good and had some cracking knockouts with very memorable moments.

QFs: Ind v Pak: Jadeja manhandling Waqar and Prasad v Sohail, SA vs WI: One of Lara's best hundreds, Aus v NZ: Epic hundreds from Harris and Waugh

SFs: Ind v SL: Probably one of the most memorable games even though it was a massive defeat. Srinath getting Kalu and Sanath in the first over, de silva counterattack, superb Sachin knock and then Kambli crying. WI vs Aus SF obviously incredible too, and arguably a bigger choke than 99 SA.

and obviously a good final with the Aravinda heroics. The group stage wasn't quite as good though, that's what holds it back from being the best.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
2019 the best.
Should of/could of been lol.
With Federer dropping match point against Novak at Wimbledon within minutes of the black caps flooring it, it remains the darkest day ever in sport
for some of us. But that's ok mate, totally understand you wanting to lap it up for all time.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
1996 was really good and had some cracking knockouts with very memorable moments.

QFs: Ind v Pak: Jadeja manhandling Waqar and Prasad v Sohail, SA vs WI: One of Lara's best hundreds, Aus v NZ: Epic hundreds from Harris and Waugh

SFs: Ind v SL: Probably one of the most memorable games even though it was a massive defeat. Srinath getting Kalu and Sanath in the first over, de silva counterattack, superb Sachin knock and then Kambli crying. WI vs Aus SF obviously incredible too, and arguably a bigger choke than 99 SA.

and obviously a good final with the Aravinda heroics. The group stage wasn't quite as good though, that's what holds it back from being the best.
That Jayasuriya 6 where the ball fell on the dish antennae next building is a forever highlight reel for cricket though.

Molehill

International Captain
Trying to be impartial....

1. 2019 - you could knock it down for the rain, but the second half of the tournament was out and out incredible. Lots of good group games, and then you had an arguable Top 10 match of all-time in the semi and probably the greatest game of all-time as the final.
2. 1999 - damp squib final sucks but everything else was great. Two ATG matches against the top teams in the world, and one of the best World Cup runs in general. Quality wise lots of teams seemed to peak here.
3. 1992 - probably the tournament that changed ODI cricket forever. Lots of great moments and a lot of great play. As much as it sucks for associates and weak full member nations I think this and 2019 shows why the 9/10-team format works.
4. 1996 - awesome semi-final that was overshadowed by 99 and a great story in Sri Lanka winning. But that format sucks arse, especially back then when the associates were weaker in quality.
5. 2015 - good group stage with a number of memorable moments, and a great semi against New Zealand and South Africa. I think this tournament however showed some really ugly signs about ODI's as a format going forward, and the final was a bit crap other than the Starc/McCullum ball. In fact other than the NZ semi none of the finals were too great.
8. 2007 - I will say this much - the group stage was actually kind of fun. Shame about everything else after that, though.

Think the gap between 4th and 5th is quite large. 2007 clearly the worst by some margin too.

Don't know enough about the 70/80's ones to judge fairly, though it does seem like 83 and 87 were corkers at least.
This is a really good summary, I could tinker around here or there but it wouldn't change much. I'd have 2003 at the bottom, it was a real farce. Even half the games that were played became so predictable because batting first in day/night games was a huge advantage. England actually had a pretty decent team, they were really the only team that gave the Aussies a battle in Bichel's finest hour.

It's only saving grace was that the best team won, but there wasn't much else to be said for it.

!987 would be a tough one to call given that the eventual winners only survived the group stage thanks to rain.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
This is a really good summary, I could tinker around here or there but it wouldn't change much. I'd have 2003 at the bottom, it was a real farce. Even half the games that were played became so predictable because batting first in day/night games was a huge advantage. England actually had a pretty decent team, they were really the only team that gave the Aussies a battle in Bichel's finest hour.

It's only saving grace was that the best team won, but there wasn't much else to be said for it.

!987 would be a tough one to call given that the eventual winners only survived the group stage thanks to rain.
Do you mean 1992 (Pakistan getting a vital NR against England after scoring 74)? Australia won a rain-affected game against NZ in 1987 but would have gone through even if they'd lost it.

I don't remember the 70s World Cups, but 1987 was great - a lot of close games, including the final. India obviously livened up the 83 tournament with 2 wins against WI and Kapil's 175, but otherwise I don't think it was very exciting.

FWIW: "The fourth World Cup was more widely watched, more closely fought and more colourful than any of its three predecessors" (Wisden 1988).

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
This is a really good summary, I could tinker around here or there but it wouldn't change much. I'd have 2003 at the bottom, it was a real farce. Even half the games that were played became so predictable because batting first in day/night games was a huge advantage.

England actually had a pretty decent team, they were really the only team that gave the Aussies a battle in Bichel's finest hour.
No, they weren't.

Pakistan were all over Australia before Symonds played one of the greatest ODI knocks of all time and Bond took 6/23 vs the Aussies (Aus 84/7at one stage). Unfortunately Bevan and Bichel dragged them past 200 and we collapsed against Brett Lee.

Boags

Cricket Spectator
2019 by the barest of margins

1996 > 1999 > 2003. I'd put those the good tier. 2015 > 2011 next.

Only seen highlights of previous world cups, but even still I can tell you they're all better than 2007.

Molehill

International Captain
Do you mean 1992 (Pakistan getting a vital NR against England after scoring 74)?
Yes, Trundler should be along in a while to confirm I was wrong.

No, they weren't.

Pakistan were all over Australia before Symonds played one of the greatest ODI knocks of all time and Bond took 6/23 vs the Aussies (Aus 84/7at one stage). Unfortunately Bevan and Bichel dragged them past 200 and we collapsed against Brett Lee.
I wouldn't say all over, it was 86-4 when Symonds came in. It's not like 20-4. But those matches ended up being all over long before the final wicket was taken. It was only the England game which properly went the full 100 overs.

Another degrading factor from 2003 was Warne's ban. The Aussies won it with Hogg instead.

bagapath

International Captain
didn't watch the 1975 and 1979 tournaments
my rankings for the rest...

Last edited: