• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test (Old Trafford, Manchester) 19-23 July

loterry1994

International Debutant
Wow...hell of a scorecard.

I don't usually say this sort of thing because people are entitled to their opinion but there is a bit of humble pie to be eaten with some England fans, especially the ones who attacked Crawley and saying he was only in the side because Daddy has money. Which has always patently been false. He has severely underdelivered but always been the best technical strokemaker by a country mile and other guys (Lees, Hameed, Sibley, Burns) have been tried as traditional stodgy opening bats and not offered anything.

England's inner circle have always known he's a hell of a talent and **** he's delivered in spades today. I'm over the moon for him, seems like a nice fella and is genuinely thrilling to watch.
same goes with the other younger guys in the team that have copped slack like Brook and Duckett yeah they’ve edged out cheaply a few times. But they’ve played some important big innings this series as well.

CartyDurham

International Captain
I want to thank everyone who offered their internet hugs to that news I posted early doors on day 2

it was greatly appreciated when I showed the mrs and to myself .

as for the days play, it’s hard to comprehend how well Crawley played with firstly Moeen and then Root

this game really needs the weather to play fair and we could have a winner takes all at the Oval

bring on friday

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Terrific scorecard to wake up to......Zac repaying the faith big time :wub:

God it's gonna suck so bad if the rain robs us here......such a dominant position to be in if we had 3 full days left.

Shady Slim

International Coach
not sure the extent to which it was bad bowling against playing a great knock but some of the selection decisions do really look hesdscratchy
now for the aussies. i’m not saying murphmentum magic would’ve had ingerlund 250ao but i just really do think you need that balance in a side usually

for all the chatter about how moeen isn’t a top flight spinner the thing with mo is he’s still a class above your smith marnus head part timer options

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Just wanna say, well done Crawley. I don’t know precisely when, but at some point in the past year, with all the ridicule he was coping, I started to quietly root for him. Obviously looked like he had a fair bit of luck but that’s a match defining innings under pressure. Great stuff.

91Jmay

International Coach
not sure the extent to which it was bad bowling against playing a great knock but some of the selection decisions do really look hesdscratchy
now for the aussies. i’m not saying murphmentum magic would’ve had ingerlund 250ao but i just really do think you need that balance in a side usually

for all the chatter about how moeen isn’t a top flight spinner the thing with mo is he’s still a class above your smith marnus head part timer options
Head looked absolutely useless today. Marnus at least with wrist spin has half a chance of getting a false shot or a top edge

danzydab

U19 Debutant
a bit odd how brook suddenly decided to play traditional test cricket and score 14 off 41.

considering the incoming rain, these conditions should have been taken advantage of.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
same goes with the other younger guys in the team that have copped slack like Brook and Duckett yeah they’ve edged out cheaply a few times. But they’ve played some important big innings this series as well.
Yep they have. I mostly had the issue with people going at Crawley's upbringing which wasn't fair or reasonable. There were always signs he had a bit more than the rest, they just had to be patient. And now it's paid off big time. They knew. Good on England for backing him in the face of the media, fans etc.

CartyDurham

International Captain
Yep they have. I mostly had the issue with people going at Crawley's upbringing which wasn't fair or reasonable. There were always signs he had a bit more than the rest, they just had to be patient. And now it's paid off big time. They knew. Good on England for backing him in the face of the media, fans etc.
Thing is with Crawley is he can play as he did today and be out third ball edged to second slip tomorrow

he knows it himself that he has to be more consistent as he has all the shots and showed most of them this afternoon

he still averages around 30 but to be fair this has been his best series for England to date

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain

I think not picking Murphy showed 2 things.

Firstly that Cummins doesn't trust him. He barely bowled him on the final day of the last test.

Secondly, The Aussies always had the draw at the front of their minds. They know the test is likely to be hit by the weather and played the extra batsmen to make it even tougher for England to take 20 wickets.

The plan may well work but it was a pretty negative team they selected and really tough on Murphy.