• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test (Old Trafford, Manchester) 19-23 July

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Honestly don't understand why it was seemingly essential to get Green back in the side come hell or high water. I have defended him against some of the ott criticism he has recieved here at times, definitely think he should be back before next home summer fitness permitting, but tossing Murhpy to the kerb because of being so desperate to squeeze Green back in is absolutely insane imo

It won't kill Green's career to make him wait a little while longer. But alas, that's not the way things have happened and I just worry Australia have screwed themselves over by going light on bowling

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Captain
I remember when former Australian captain and opening batsman Mark Taylor was out of form. If you include the 129 that he got in that 1997 Ashes series in England, he had a further 40 innings (his final 40 innings) and he scored 1,719 runs at an average of 47.75 which included 5 centuries and 7 half-centuries. Warner's past 40 innings (from 2021 to now): 1,099 runs at an average of 28.17 which includes 1 century and 5 half-centuries. If I just did 2022 to now: Warner has made 792 runs from 32 innings at an average of 26.40 including 1 century and 3 half-centuries. In terms of 2023 only - 12 innings for 221 runs at an average of 18.41 with only 1 half century. Warner needs runs, it's as simple as that but because we are in an era of Australian cricket where the batting doesn't have much depth, Warner keeps his spot. He is clearly out of form and the runs have dried up - he needs to deliver in this 4th Ashes Test.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Honestly don't understand why it was seemingly essential to get Green back in the side come hell or high water. I have defended him against some of the ott criticism he has recieved here at times, definitely think he should be back before next home summer fitness permitting, but tossing Murhpy to the kerb because of being so desperate to squeeze Green back in is absolutely insane imo

It won't kill Green's career to make him wait a little while longer. But alas, that's not the way things have happened and I just worry Australia have screwed themselves over by going light on bowling
Even aside from the folly of playing five seamers, if Green was going to play as a bowling allrounder I have no idea why they wouldn't pick Neser ahead of him too. It seems like they were just desperate to make sure he was never 'dropped' even if his selection made no sense for the balance of the team.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Even aside from the folly of playing five seamers, if Green was going to play as a bowling allrounder I have no idea why they wouldn't pick Neser ahead of him too. It seems like they were just desperate to make sure he was never 'dropped' even if his selection made no sense for the balance of the team.
I’m not hugely aware of the inner workings of Aussie cricket beyond what I read here but it almost feels to me like this allows them to drop Marsh for the 5th if he’s only okay here

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd forgot about Neser for the moment. Makes this selection seem even crazier, I don't think you're losing too much batting for much better bowling (and actually having a full attack). Might be our silliest selection since we went into a test in India with Doherty and Maxwell as our spinners, if not sillier.

Not even like Green would miss out for too long either. Marsh is guaranteed to break down at some point.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'd forgot about Neser for the moment. Makes this selection seem even crazier, I don't think you're losing too much batting for much better bowling (and actually having a full attack). Might be our silliest selection since we went into a test in India with Doherty and Maxwell as our spinners, if not sillier.

Not even like Green would miss out for too long either. Marsh is guaranteed to break down at some point.
Surely picking Ashton ****ing Agar was much worse than this.

But yeah it's an odd looking team.

Anthony Clayden

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Like picking Maxwell as your lone spinner, but the argument is that Bazball removes the need for a spinner, England just don't want to bat more than 80 overs.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah it is so abundantly obvious the thoughts of the selection panel were "get Green back in at all costs" to the exclusion of all other considerations

the big bambino

International Captain
The Aussies do make me laugh. When we play down under the hostility is unrelenting. Mo has had to put up with shocking racism. But once they meet a strong England side who give it back they crumble. Smith looked close to tears because JB said ' se ya Smudge'. Mind you Aussie captains past and present do seem a bit prone to having a bit weep when things get tough. If you can't take it don't give it and that run out was the stupidest thing you did this series. It has fired up the English side who are now desperate to win. Who will win? I don't know both sides look very well matched to me. It will probably come down to the toss and the weather. Even if England lose doubt the big 3s batting averages will be better than before they landed on our shores.
Typical English jingoism. Aussie abuse bad but when England does it then it's righteous ... **** off. Besides "Mo" - as you call him with insincere familiarity - puts up with enough racism in England without you finding a problem elsewhere. As Usman found out at Lords even the toffs aren't above a little racial sledging and all of England is basically Millwall FC.

the big bambino

International Captain
Jesus Christ they’ve dropped Murphy - they’ve gone mad imo. They better win this one otherwise the noise will be insane
Maybe but I don't think its the worst outcome. There might not be enough room in the game to play Murphy. Especially if the back half of the game is blighted by weather. Seems like the forecast is for a fair bit of cloud too. Five seamers does seem justifiable. I think omitting Neser is harder to defend than dropping Murphy.

the big bambino

International Captain
Khawaja outright said that it's not great in Australia either. I suppose that reading the article is considered too great an impost these days though.
He did which is fair. Hard to credit someone who argues a moral high ground when his own team and fans do the same.

Spark

Global Moderator
Khawaja has also, you know, been extremely vocal about the barriers, both large and small, that are placed in front of people like him if they want to get into Australian cricket both casually and professionally. There are plenty of people for whom the charge of hypocrisy might stick but he's literally the one person in Australian cricket to whom it doesn't.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dropping Murphy is ~ok imo. Personally feel he’d just as likely get spanked by bazball as do a good job especially if Smith is going to use him like he did last game. Head can bowl a few overs. No big deal as England don’t bat long anyways.