• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Socerer 01

International Captain
Also isn't this the same dude who came up with the 12 year longevity criteria 'based on research'? How tf does a one series wonder then win against the man who had most runs and most tons after 12 years in test cricket? Gavaskar's first 4 tests were better than Richard's whole career anyway.
oh good his shtick is finally being exposed as fraudulent

bagapath

International Captain
Barry Richards never played test cricket in England, India, West Indies, Australia and New Zealand.
He never faced Imran, Lillee, Roberts, Garner, Holding, Bedi, Chandra, Underwood, Hadlee, Marshall and Willis in test cricket.
He never played in front of the crowds in Eden Gardens or Barbados.
Gavaskar/ Greenidge/ Boycott/ Gooch/ Haynes all did it for two decades playing 100+ tests each.
Don't insult their careers by bringing up Barry Richards' name.

Bolo.

International Captain
Barry over Gavaskar, barry’s flamboyance is better to have than Gavsakar’s grit.

imran over hadlee, equal bowlers but imran a superior bat, how did you even consider hadlee over him given they played at the same time and Imran was the bigger and better cricketer

steyn over marshall, marshall was still comparable to other bowlers and his own peers, steyn? Left everyone in his era in the dust
Yuck.

Coronis

International Coach
Inspired by @trundler

Black and white vs Colour

(colour broadcasting began in 1968 so im excluding players who began their careers before 1968 and continued into 1969 and beyond) I think the only player I’d probably include is Sobers so yeah.

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Bradman*
Hammond
Headley
Barrington
Walcott+
Lindwall
Davidson
Trueman
O’Reilly

vs

Gavaskar
Boycott
Lara
Tendulkar
Smith
Chappell*
Gilchrist+
Hadlee
Marshall
Warne
McGrath

Hutton, Miller, Barnes, Kallis, Sangakkara and Richards were all seriously considered too.

Didn’t go for Barnes because I rarely like picking him in general outside of an England ATG XI. Kallis didn’t go for cos it’d swing it a bit in the post colour phase - giving them an AR where the other team didn’t, plus I wanted a quality captain.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Inspired by @trundler

(colour broadcasting began in 1968 so im excluding players who began their careers before 1968 and continued into 1969 and beyond) I think the only player I’d probably include is Sobers so yeah.

Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Bradman*
Hammond
Headley
Barrington
Walcott+
Lindwall
Davidson
Trueman
O’Reilly

vs

Gavaskar
Boycott
Lara
Tendulkar
Smith
Chappell*
Gilchrist+
Hadlee
Marshall
Warne
McGrath

Hutton, Miller, Barnes, Sangakkara and Richards were all seriously considered too.
You forgot Sobers

Coronis

International Coach
Well it's your XI so you're entitled to pick who you want but I'll remind you that Richards averaged more than Chapell after 87 tests anyway
I considered him, but I rate Chappell as a better bat. All those I mentioned would be quality options given the conditions imo.

bagapath

International Captain
Inspired by @trundler

(colour broadcasting began in 1968
I thought color broadcasting began in England with the coronation of Queen Elizabeth in 1953

Assuming you are from Australia, perhaps.

I will follow your lead and do my selection based on the date color broadcasting starting in India with the 1982 Asian Games.

1877-1981

Hobbs
Gavaskar
Bradman
V. Richards
Hammond
Sobers
Knott +
Lillee
O'Reilley
Truman
Barnes

In the squad: Miller, Hutton, Weekes, G.Chappell, Laker

1982 - 2023

Hayden
Sehwag
Lara
Tendulkar
S.Smith
Imran
Gilchrist +
Hadlee
Marshall
Warne
McGrath

In the squad: Kallis, Border, Sangakkara, Akram, Murali

Edit: I googled and learnt that color broadcasting started in 1967 in UK and in 1974 in Australia.
May be live telecast started in England in 1953. Will look for an old piece by the late CMJ for this info I vaguely remember.

Coronis

International Coach
I thought color broadcasting began in England with the coronation of Queen Elizabeth in 1953

I will follow your lead and do my selection based on the date color broadcasting starting in India with the 1982 Asian Games.

1877-1981

Hobbs
Gavaskar
Bradman
V. Richards
Hammond
Sobers
Knott +
Lillee
O'Reilley
Truman
Barnes

1982 - 2023

Hayden
Sehwag
Lara
Tendulkar
S.Smith
Imran
Gilchrist +
Hadlee
Marshall
Warne
McGrath

Edit: I googled and learnt that color broadcasting started in 1967 in UK and in 1974 in Australia.
May be live telecast started in England in 1953. Will look for an old piece by the late CMJ for this info I vaguely remember.
The first Cricket match broadcasted in colour was in 1968.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Pp

1877-1981

Hobbs
Gavaskar
Bradman
V. Richards
Hammond
Sobers
Knott +
Lillee
O'Reilley
Truman
Barnes

1982 - 2023

Hayden
Sehwag
Lara
Tendulkar
S.Smith
Imran
Gilchrist +
Hadlee
Marshall
Warne
McGrath

Colour tv started in NZ in late 1973 in preparation for showing the 1974 Christchurch Commonwealth Games.