• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All time Asian-XI

Coronis

International Coach
Honestly the hardest pick is the wkt keeper. There is not a standout keeper given that the best glovemen were not great batsmen. And making Sanga keep reduces his batting returns.

That and the choice to play 2 AR or 1. If its 1 its obviously Imran Khan. If you want 5-1-2-3 with 2 AR you may pick Dev but he is no where near the top 5 bowlers Asia has produced. One could do 5 bats, wkt, then 5 bowlers including Imran.

That raises the Q of who is the 2nd best spinner to pair with Murali? I myself would opt for another quick but many wouldn't.

Assume [for arguments sake] the first XI is: [edit as you wish, both names and formation].

Gavaskar
Dravid
Younis Khan
Tendulkar
Sangakarra
Imran Khan *
Dhoni +
Wasim
Waqar
Murali
Akhtar

I do think that is the 5 best bats, best AR, best spinner and best quicks. MSD gets in for his in-game understanding, ok batting.

What would a 2nd XI be?
You don’t want to give Sanga the gloves but then don’t put him 3 if Dravid opens?

Xix2565

International Regular
Obviously he’s been injured. So? Obviously he’s also not been selected far more than at home since he’s also obviously a much worse player away than at home and as I pointed out and you so clearly ignored, touring is a huge part of cricket and being good away just as if not more important than being home (i feel this is an obvious fact that shouldn’t need to be stated but apparently does).

Honestly your point here is so backwards. If anything Jadeja should just be in a “Home Conditions” ATG Asian XI, not in contention for the overall team.
So I really don't get this nonsense being peddled that Jadeja's away record is so bad that he doesn't deserve discussion. It's not like the drop in value is that big, so to not even consider him at all as a way to balance the side is stupid. Being good away from home is not more important than being good at home, else you wouldn't be able to pick an XI at all since most of the players there weren't as good away, with some having 'holes' in their records.

I mean how is it backwards? It's just picking 3/4 pacers and Murali for what? If they play in most subcontinental grounds then Murali basically has to carry the bowling, which is hardly ideal. Is it really impossible for a spin bowling all rounder to find a spot for balance?

Coronis

International Coach
So I really don't get this nonsense being peddled that Jadeja's away record is so bad that he doesn't deserve discussion. It's not like the drop in value is that big, so to not even consider him at all as a way to balance the side is stupid.
lol you don’t think a drop of 9 in batting average and 14 in bowling average is that much worse?

. Being good away from home is not more important than being good at home, else you wouldn't be able to pick an XI at all since most of the players there weren't as good away, with some having 'holes' in their records.
It is just as important as the home record, considering you’ll roughly play half your matches away from home.

I mean how is it backwards? It's just picking 3/4 pacers and Murali for what? If they play in most subcontinental grounds then Murali basically has to carry the bowling, which is hardly ideal. Is it really impossible for a spin bowling all rounder to find a spot for balance?
Ideally yeah you’d probably want 2 spinners in any side in the subcontinent but we’re not picking a side for the subcontinent, but we’re not just picking a side to play in the subcontinent. We’re picking 1 side for all conditions, if you’re purely picking a side to play in India or in all of Asia then sure he does merit discussion (though even then he has literally played just 2 matches outside of India in Asia).

He does not merit discussion for an overal XI if he’s not going to be anywhere near as useful for half the games, especially since there are players of similar value available for selection who will not be crap for half the games.

ftr, Jadeja in Asia vs outside of Asia

Batting: 40.90 vs 29.40
Bowling: 20.98 vs 35.50

_00_deathscar

International Regular
lol you don’t think a drop of 9 in batting average and 14 in bowling average is that much worse?

It is just as important as the home record, considering you’ll roughly play half your matches away from home.

Ideally yeah you’d probably want 2 spinners in any side in the subcontinent but we’re not picking a side for the subcontinent, but we’re not just picking a side to play in the subcontinent. We’re picking 1 side for all conditions, if you’re purely picking a side to play in India or in all of Asia then sure he does merit discussion (though even then he has literally played just 2 matches outside of India in Asia).

He does not merit discussion for an overal XI if he’s not going to be anywhere near as useful for half the games, especially since there are players of similar value available for selection who will not be crap for half the games.

I mean there is an argument that if you’re picking a side to win most games, picking that extra seamer away isn’t going to win you that many games because he’s simply not quite as good as what other teams have.
But Jadeja will win you most home games.

Coronis

International Coach
I mean there is an argument that if you’re picking a side to win most games, picking that extra seamer away isn’t going to win you that many games because he’s simply not quite as good as what other teams have.
Gavaskar
Sehwag
Sangakkara+
Tendulkar
Dravid
Miandad
Younis
Imran*
Wasim
Waqar
Murali

Well this would be my Asian team I believe. Kapil and Jadeja and Ashwin arent really in the convo.

Silver Line

U19 Debutant
“Guys why is my tailored pitch at home bowler that doesnt work anywhere else, not in the all time team??”

Xix2565

International Regular

It's in the context of spinning wickets within the subcontinent in the modern day while wickets have actively gotten less spin friendly in pace friendly countries. Given that conditions matter a lot even for ATGs, to overlook this with regards to the drops in ability is braindead tbh.

It really isn't, unless you want to be England level.

I mean there's no point in continuing this I guess given you don't want to discuss anyway.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Gavaskar
Sehwag
Sangakkara+
Tendulkar
Dravid
Miandad
Younis
Imran*
Wasim
Waqar
Murali

Well this would be my Asian team I believe. Kapil and Jadeja and Ashwin arent really in the convo.
3 pacers on a dustbowl?

No one, in Asia certainly, has as high a percentage of winning games at home as Ashwin+Jadeja do