• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test (Lord's, London) 28 June–2 July

Gob

International Coach
I still don't get how the first innings dismissal of root was given out then. Smith was struggling to keep the ball tucked into his chest while scrapping along the ground, and threw it up t9 celebrate as it was falling out. He wasn't in control of the ball that whole time IMO.

It seems like the duckett one was not out, and the call makes the game more interesting tomorrow so I don't care too much. Just a bit confused.
Argument is that when you turn your wrist over and try to prevent the ball from touching the grass, it might pop out of the hand upon the elbows impact on the ground. When you push the ball across the turf, it doesn't happen. But here Starc looks to have a firm grip on the ball so I don't think that would have popped out. As TJB said, all you need is some common sense to see that was out

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Argument is that when you turn your wrist over and try to prevent the ball from touching the grass, it might pop out of the hand upon the elbows impact on the ground. When you push the ball across the turf, it doesn't happen. But here Starc looks to have a firm grip on the ball so I don't think that would have popped out. As TJB said, all you need is some common sense to see that was out
Common sense is not that common, it would seem

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
That's a pretty loose opinion. A lot of people, myself as a neutral, saw it as not out. I like to think I have a bit of common sense. I get it, some people - especially Australian (this part is important) - think it was out. That's fine. I don't think they lack common sense. But looking at the law, and a sense of how a catch should potentially be taken, I felt it wasn't out. Erasmus did too.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyway, I think Australia are just sore they've let Ben Duckett score 150 runs in this Test. The guy is as loose as I've ever seen anyone, let alone a Test opener, outside off stump.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I just hope he gets his batting right. Maybe he just needs to fail a lot like in India to finally click.

Wouldn't ask Stokes for advice, he never got past failure.

Burgey

I still can’t believe there isn’t more outrage at this anti Australian conspiracy at play re the Starc catch. Appalling.

Daemon

Argument is that when you turn your wrist over and try to prevent the ball from touching the grass, it might pop out of the hand upon the elbows impact on the ground. When you push the ball across the turf, it doesn't happen. But here Starc looks to have a firm grip on the ball so I don't think that would have popped out.
Exactly. However why have a grey line where the ump needs to judge whether someone has a ‘firm grip’ or not. Just rule these not out. Too bad if you break your fall with the ball or slide your hands across the turf even if you don’t need to.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
We have cameron green at gully and he's basically 2 gully fielders in one. Having a third would be unneccesary.
I guess the point is it would've gone straight to a second gully, although Green should've caught it. Duckett was dismissed that way both times at Edgbaston. We got him 3 out of 4 that way in NZ, too. I don't know why you'd bowl anywhere else

Spikey

I still can’t believe there isn’t more outrage at this anti Australian conspiracy at play re the Starc catch. Appalling.
the problem is that too many Australians have an anti-Starc conspiracy imo. if boland didn't get that catch the Victorians would have pissed and moaned until he got given the catch

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It'll only be offensive if the gumby midget carries them to victory
AHA!! See, this is what it is. The Starc catch is a smokescreen to hide the possibility of embarrassment that a guy with Duckett's limitations might (and it's only small) win them a Test. And that would be embarrassing.

TheJediBrah

Exactly. However why have a grey line where the ump needs to judge whether someone has a ‘firm grip’ or not. Just rule these not out. Too bad if you break your fall with the ball or slide your hands across the turf even if you don’t need to.
So you can throw it up as soon as you catch it and it's out, but if you keep hold of it longer and it eventually touches the ground it's not out? Doesn't make sense

Daemon

So you can throw it up as soon as you catch it and it's out, but if you keep hold of it longer and it eventually touches the ground it's not out? Doesn't make sense
Wat

Throwing it up when you’re on your feet or running or whatever as a celebration is very different to a dive or slide