• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Slifer

International Captain
If his career were simmed 1000 times, I think his average test average would be around 95 rather than 100.

Man, saying Hobbs, Bradman, and Hutton are of the same general era and thus must be treated the exact same as each other is just weird. Logically, you seem to think that Viv and Younis Khan are of the same general era. Should they therefore be treated equivalently, and Younis Khan rated above Viv due to his superior average? Not unless you're trundler.
Again, the point is for the last time, you can't arbitrarily lower Bradman's average by 20-25% and not do the same for people like Hutton and Hammond who played around the same time is that better??

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
Yeh I just don’t understand this. Do you mean if he played in the modern era or what? He WAS a 99 averaging batsman in an era where the other best batsmen averaged 50 with a few averaging a bit more. Same as today
Because he played in the most batting friendly era and before there were true fast bowlers.

peterhrt

U19 Vice-Captain
Averages in England v Australia Tests when Bradman batted. Qualification 1000 runs. Excludes Oval Test of 1938 when Bradman played but didn't bat.

Bradman 89
Morris 79
Compton 56
Ponsford 56
Sutcliffe 53
Leyland 52
Hammond 46
McCabe 45
Woodfull 42

Selected others with fewer than 1000 runs:

Paynter 98
Barnes 77
Hutton 45 (rises to 1232 runs @ 61 with 1938 Oval Test)

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
And he also played on uncovered pitches and with far smaller bats than current players (amongst other factors).

Could swear we’ve had this crap ass circular argument before.
Bradman's record on uncovered pitches are pisspoor compared to other oldies like Headley, Hobbs and Hammond.

Also, he mostly played against one team and only test cricket unlike modern day players who just play too much cricket these days.

That said I still consider Bradman to be the greatest bat by a mile and also the greatest cricketer.

ataraxia

International Coach
You know what's a worse argument than my perceived underrating of Sir Braddles? Not adjusting for era. Like, ffs.

Slifer

International Captain
You know what's a worse argument than my perceived underrating of Sir Braddles? Not adjusting for era. Like, ffs.
If you're adjusting for era adjust blokes he played against as well. Adjust the likes of Hammond and Hutton.

Slifer

International Captain
I always called Hammond overrated. As for Hutton he did played against quality bowlers like Lindwall, Miller and Davidson. So not a fair comparison.
It is fair because he overlapped with the Don ie they are from similar eras. And Bradman averaged 56 in bodyline where Hammond and Sutcliffe averaged less. Think about that. I'm not saying you can't adjust for eras but what you can't or shouldn't do is adjust for one man by some arbitrary percentage and not do the same for players from his era: Hammond, Hutton, Sutcliffe (Sutcliffe played extensively with Hobbs fwiw).