• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test (Lord's, London) 28 June–2 July

Spark

Global Moderator
Starc is still sliding when the ball scrapes along the ground - he should have turned his wrist over.

Look in the grand scheme of things it won't matter but for me his still in the act of making the catch when the ball touches the ground.
Or hold it into his chest, or dive forward to keep the ball off the ground, literally anything but that.

loterry1994

International Debutant
One thing with the England team they still score quick as and stokes and duckett look like they were playing more defensive there whole innings

Spark

Global Moderator
One thing with the England team they still score quick as and stokes and duckett look like they were playing more defensive there whole innings
I don't see Stokes lasting that long tbh. He looked terrible against Green there. Not like Headingley where he seemed to be batting with a barn door from the start even if he wasn't scoring.

loterry1994

International Debutant
Starc is still sliding when the ball scrapes along the ground - he should have turned his wrist over.

Look in the grand scheme of things it won't matter but for me his still in the act of making the catch when the ball touches the ground.
Yeah like you said it’s 50/50I reckon different third umpires are giving that out

loterry1994

International Debutant
I don't see Stokes lasting that long tbh. He looked terrible against Green there. Not like Headingley where he seemed to be batting with a barn door from the start even if he wasn't scoring.
lol guy always looks terrible at the start then makes a big score in a crucial game

Gob

International Coach
Australia should win tomorrow as they only need two wickets but 2 - 0 seem too surreal at the moment

Woodster

International Captain
Yes he was getting in some very strange positions, I can only assume it’s his knee that’s giving him problems after bowling.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Yeah like you said it’s 50/50I reckon different third umpires are giving that out
It's a judgement call. Is Starc fully in control of the ball and his body.

Some people think he was, some don't. The same with Smiths catch off Root and there was one from Green against India.

I think the rule would be clearer if it said its not out if at any time during the act of taking a catch, the ball touches the ground.

Any law that requires a judgement call is always going to lead to controversial decisiins as different people will judge them differently.

Spark

Global Moderator
I'm any
It's a judgement call. Is Starc fully in control of the ball and his body.

Some people think he was, some don't. The same with Smiths catch off Root and there was one from Green against India.

I think the rule would be clearer if it said its not out if at any time during the act of taking a catch, the ball touches the ground.

Any law that requires a judgement call is always going to lead to controversial decisiins as different people will judge them differently.
Yeah but that's already the rule. The question is what constitutes "the act of taking the catch", which is what lasts a lot longer than many people realise.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
can any non aussies or pommies give their opinion on the catch?
Mrs Fertang is French and she thought the catch was good, but then what she knows about cricket you could write on the back of a postage stamp and still have room to add the complete works of Shakespeare

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
England have an amazing record with bad decisions in their favour. That, Stokes' ricochet 4, Stokes LBW and the famous Broad decision are 4 of the worst decisions seen in recent history
As a NZer, I find this post hard to fathom from (I assume) an Australian.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Watching the replay. That was so dumb from Starc…can see why it would be overturned…Duckett better make the best of his luck today.

So will it be a bouncer barrage from Aus tomorrow?

ataraxia

International Coach
That's not out, but it's interesting that it cropped up; I feel like often umpires might just turn a blind eye to it. Anyway IMO it doesn't feel like you're taking a catch when you grass it like that. Just keep it up.