• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test (Lord's, London) 28 June–2 July

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah but being adaptable is what makes very good/ great players. These guys aren’t known for their defensive games. I don’t know that they can do that. For all the bluster, was their first innings run rate meaningfully higher than Australia’s? I don’t think it ended up being so. Really good players have gears, not just one, whether it’s first or fifth
Remember the third gear memes? Good times.

CartyDurham

International Captain
Throw it forward, what do you think Australia will think is a safe target and the time needed to bounce England out ?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought his analysis was quite good tbh. All about technique, not some supernatural "I have magic eyes" bs that laypeople want to buy into
Nah

You might have 20/20 vision and be a Smith technique clone but I guarantee that you won’t have as much time to play as he does

CartyDurham

International Captain
You go short for a few overs maybe? But if it's not working try something else?
I think this is basically time wasting and trying to lower the scoring rate

They’ve give up on trying to bowl Australia out

Trying to delay the declaration for as long as possible

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yeah Ponting is usually spot on, but "everyone's eyes work the same" is definitely not true
People with impaired vision definitely will have a harder time picking up a ball than someone who has good vision. That's why Taylor scored a double ton after getting some eye drops (and Chris Martin was apparently blind as, batting wise). But this is not what he meant.

It's reflexes. Someone like Smith, who practices and practices, and grew up in Australia and plays on fast pitches against properly fast bowlers, is going to have a better reaction time than someone who grew up facing dibbly dobblers on wickets with no pace. Implying someones vision can make the ball seem to move slower is ludicrous.

Spark

Global Moderator
People with impaired vision definitely will have a harder time picking up a ball than someone who has good vision. That's why Taylor scored a double ton after getting some eye drops (and Chris Martin was apparently blind as, batting wise). But this is not what he meant.

It's reflexes. Someone like Smith, who practices and practices, and grew up in Australia and plays on fast pitches against properly fast bowlers, is going to have a better reaction time than someone who grew up facing dibbly dobblers on wickets with no pace. Implying someones vision can make the ball seem to move slower is ludicrous.
Ultimately batting is about determining where a fast moving small object is and then predicting where it'll go, to be fair. That's more than just reflexes, there's an element of calculation and judgement in there too.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!

It's not just about impaired vision v good vision. Vision isn't binary, as far as I'm aware at all levels it's on a spectrum (much like Steve Smith)