• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test (Lord's, London) 28 June–2 July

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Just play on normal English wickets ffs and bazball as best you can on them!!

Honestly, he probably shouldn't have said anything public but I seriously have no problem with what JA said there......fmd there was enough criticism of the wicket right here, so it's clear that for a lot of people it wasn't great.

Woodster

International Captain
Reading a lot of these posts, it appears it doesn’t matter who England select or what pitch they play on so none of the decisions they do make will matter at all. Probably explains why Stokes’ decision on the first day to declare didn’t prompt any comments at all on here when we were on our way to losing anyway!!!

Guess the best we can hope for is to have a decent session at some point at Lords in order to briefly give us something to applaud though that won’t be easy as the Aussies have every base covered!

Bahseph

International Debutant
As a neutral and someone who watched their team take on England post Bazball commencement,I fully buy in to the idea that playing this way gives England the best chance of winning games.

But that article is just, bizzare? It reads like satire but it seems like Robinson is being serious. I think England are in danger of jumping the shark with the Bazball shenanigans.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Just play on normal English wickets ffs and bazball as best you can on them!!

Honestly, he probably shouldn't have said anything public but I seriously have no problem with what JA said there......fmd there was enough criticism of the wicket right here, so it's clear that for a lot of people it wasn't great.
What Anderson said was fine. It’s no wonder he enjoys bowling in India though - he’s nice and relaxed as he has his own place over there where he stays rent free - Shri’s head

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Reading a lot of these posts, it appears it doesn’t matter who England select or what pitch they play on so none of the decisions they do make will matter at all. Probably explains why Stokes’ decision on the first day to declare didn’t prompt any comments at all on here when we were on our way to losing anyway!!!

Guess the best we can hope for is to have a decent session at some point at Lords in order to briefly give us something to applaud though that won’t be easy as the Aussies have every base covered!
Correct.

The first test was as close as England will get. It was their best and realistically only shot at a win, misguided though the hopes of they and their supporters were all along.

Molehill

International Captain
I saw an ECB source saying there are 1.4m participants in cricket in England and most are young. Could be concerns about where the next generation is coming from are slightly over stated.

EDIT. The source says its 2.6m with 1.4m under 16. However participants might not be the correct word as it refers to people who played cricket in 2022.
I used to do some coaching when my daughter played. She was part of a very good girl's team (we had an ex England coach in charge) and they would play in Boys Leagues. What I always saw was that the best players came from Private Schools with the State School boys largely making up the numbers. That is not sustainable for generating the amount of talent required at the top level.

Whilst the 100 will help generate interest, what it won't do is provide cricket coaching in State Schools (where so many playing fields have been sold off anyway).

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah well the ECB is supposed to be pouring the fortunes they're coining in from broadcast rights into grassroots cricket!! Hows that working in reality? That was supposed to be the trade off.

Get the ****ing test game back on fta ffs!! Honest to god, 2005 could have been the biggest shot in the arm to cricket in Eng imaginable.......next year the games behind a paywall. The absolute incompetence of these ****s is impossible to fathom

Woodster

International Captain
Correct.

The first test was as close as England will get. It was their best and realistically only shot at a win, misguided though the hopes of they and their supporters were all along.
I’m not convinced the gap between the sides is as significant as you clearly believe it is. Don’t get me wrong, I think the Aussies are a very efficient, obdurate, old school kind of a Test team which clearly works for them. Some may say defensive (boring) others will say pragmatic and do what’s required to win which ultimately is what it’s all about.

I just think we have enough about us, and I don’t know how it’s happened, to push you in more than just the opening Test.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
This series will be competitive!! Burgey's been claiming 4-0 right from the get go and hasn't wavered. Fair play to the old ****......and at 1 zip in a game Eng should have won he's got every right to crow now.

But he's wrong. I'd don't know if Eng will win it.....they are up against a very very good side, and on most measures better then us. But there is no way on gods green earth this will be any walkover. This Eng side has guts and courage and enough talent there to not only get back into this but to run away once they do.

Edit:

@chris.hinton why the **** am I doing your job here? It's bad enough I have to fend off the heathens during the Aus day all by myself.......the positivity and bravado is your bag mate. Get back on it!!

Last edited:

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Its the same old Billy Big Bollocks talk from the Aussies that we got before the 1st test.

It was all you won't be able to smack our bowlers all over the park - but we did.

Our batsmen will murder your attack - apart from Khawaja you didn't.

Yes you won the match, but we all know we should have done and for most of the match we were on the front foot.

In football terms you parked the bus. You were negative from the outset with the aim of nicking a goal on the break - which in fairness you did. All the attacking play, all the intent came from us. We play a style of play you can only dream of. If every team played like you, even I'd prefer T20 knockabout to test cricket.

Bring the 2nd test on lads, because we'll be playing the same again. Your 2 'star' batsmen didn't trouble us and Labuschagne in particular looks cooked.

Your bowling is in trouble- we knocked your medium paced trundler - Boland all round the park at will.

Starc was so poor against India that you didn't dare pick him because you know that we'd smack for 5 or 6 an over if he played.

You're a Pat Cummins injury away from disaster and he'll be out of gas by the 4th test.

So come on England - let's show these so called world champions how test cricket should be played but this time it'll be us that gets over the winning line.