• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
WTC points 2023-2025

Eng vs Aus starts with of WTC for 2023-2025

Sorry

Aus for only 10 points koz 2 point doked by ICC

Eng starts with --2 point🤣 as ICC doked 2 points

In the WTC 2023-2025, teams will get 12 points for a win, 4 for a draw and 6 for a tie.

Croadymeister

U19 Cricketer
England can say they will stick to their Bazball plan all they like. There's no way they won't blink if Australia can put some pressure on them in the next game. They won't want to be 2-0 down while they are 'entertaining' everyone as it would be a long way back from there.
Most people think it's a long way back already,just look at one commenter on BBC Cricket last night "Has Stokes dropped The Ashes"

Molehill

International Captain
It would make more sense if they only docked points for slow over rates when there's a draw result.

Teams producing rubbish draw inducing pitches should be docked too.

Spark

Global Moderator
I was about to complain about how farcical it is that they dock points per over short when each Test isn't even worth the same number of points across series but I see they've at least fixed that stupidity.

shortpitched713

International Captain
People are unsurprisingly loving the Bazball comeuppance.

Still think we're competing far better than we would be with anyone else as captain.

I think England supporters more than anyone know we'll have to take the rough with the smooth. Stokes is clearly a ****ing mahoosive gambler and it's not going to stop the higher the stakes get.

Strap in, I guess.
Gambling is great. I love a good gimmick, as much as the next guy.

But ultimately confidence entails that when push comes to shove, you can just win straight up over the other guys. Otherwise the alpha bravado in reality is just a mask for insecurity.

Michelle Fivefer

U19 Cricketer
It would make more sense if they only docked points for slow over rates when there's a draw result.
ende
Teams producing rubbish draw inducing pitches should be docked too.
Slow over rates means the viewing public don't get their full value from a day' play, or play is extended so spectators may have to leave early to meet other commitments. I'm all for penalising for slow over rates.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Yes, I completely agree with you. I also agree about the declaration in this match; there is logic to it as an attempt to win the game, so I don't think it was entirely performative. I'm not even that bothered by it as a tactic.

The thing that most annoys me is the dropping of Foakes. Foakes has played a really important role in Stokes' success as a captain and I think the team is less likely to win without him in it. The fact that Foakes was dropped rather than (say) Crawley suggests that Foakes was seen as less well-suited to the team because of his more conservative batting. If so, that's prioritising excitement over maximising the chances of winning the game.
Personally I would have played Foakes and Bairstow and dropped Crawley.

I would have moved Pope up to open and everyone else moves up a spot.

However, I don't think it was ever a choice between Foakes and Crawley and that Foakes style of play was a factor at all.

They wanted to play the 2 openers and it was a shoot out between Bairstow and Foakes for the keeper spot.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Nah, they should be docked for playing slow regardless.

Having the luxury of being able to play with the pace of play without repercussion can be a serious mindgame to use against an opponent. And while I can understand both teams being slow in a match of such high tension, it's still worthy of the docking for slowing down.

Michelle Fivefer

U19 Cricketer
England’s biggest problem is no free to air broadcast

The Ashes in whatever style would get more eyes on it if that was the case
Of course. No free to air TV broadcast but loads of fans listen to TMS on the radio, and watch the BBC highlights later. What slightly bugs me is the number of cricket fans who can afford Sky but won't sign up on principle.