• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

CartyDurham

International Captain
Re my constant posting

this will subside in the next test

I got a bit excited in this one as I’m new and it’s great to meet everyone

I love the energy and belief each person has in what they are posting

I’m all for it plus a bit of give and take from each other

Let’s hope Lords is as good a game as Edgbaston

Preed

U19 12th Man
No doubt England lost because o the 5 or 6 chances we blew.Don’t get me wrong because I still think we throw wickets away with stupid shot selection,The Aussies are quite happy to let us implodez

Spark

Global Moderator
No doubt England lost because o the 5 or 6 chances we blew.Don’t get me wrong because I still think we throw wickets away with stupid shot selection,The Aussies are quite happy to let us implodez
That I think you just have to accept though. I think Cummins et al would be even more delighted to see the likes of Crawley, Duckett and Pope - most of whom they were all over 18 months ago - just sitting in and trying to play "normally", because they simply don't have the defensive techniques to withstand bowling of that quality if there's any assistance in the pitch at all (and if there isn't, then why not just attack?). But if they attack then that invites risk and so you just have to accept that there are going to be some dumb looking dismissals every now and then.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Re my constant posting

this will subside in the next test

I got a bit excited in this one as I’m new and it’s great to meet everyone

I love the energy and belief each person has in what they are posting

I’m all for it plus a bit of give and take from each other

Let’s hope Lords is as good a game as Edgbaston
Sorry for laying into you earlier, hope you have fun here

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
Given the players in the side, I don't think England would have played any better on this pitch with a more conservative batting approach. As we saw, Australia commanded the periods when England were just looking to survive (although obviously the conditions were the biggest factor on day 3). With different players like Hain and Foakes, maybe they would have got away with a draw, but I think Stokes got the most out of the XI. The declaration was the only major tactical decision of Stokes I had a problem with. Even delaying the new ball had some logic to it, even if it ultimately didn't work out.

Qlder

International Debutant
Funny how this is the 2nd time in 3 tests that Eng batted first (bowled vs IRE) and Stokes declared both 1st innings with Root having a not out century, and they lost both

Almost hoping Eng bat first at Lord's with a Root century 😉

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Given the players in the side, I don't think England would have played any better on this pitch with a more conservative batting approach. As we saw, Australia commanded the periods when England were just looking to survive (although obviously the conditions were the biggest factor on day 3). With different players like Hain and Foakes, maybe they would have got away with a draw, but I think Stokes got the most out of the XI. The declaration was the only major tactical decision of Stokes I had a problem with. Even delaying the new ball had some logic to it, even if it ultimately didn't work out.
Honestly if we're going to go full hindsight bias they shouldn't have taken the new ball at all. It just became too easy to score after that and it's not like they felt they could take "new ball" wickets with slips and gullies; they ended up using exactly the same short ball tactic they were using anyway with the old ball, the only different was that timing was easier.

But you can hardly blame Stokes for doing it.

Molehill

International Captain
Funny how this is the 2nd time in 3 tests that Eng batted first (bowled vs IRE) and Stokes declared both innings with Root having a not out century, and they lost both

Almost hoping Eng bat first at Lord's with a Root century 😉
It's an interesting point, England are clearly far happier batting second (although the NZ declaration wasn't the issue there, forcing the follow on was). I wonder how this game would've played out if Aus had won the toss.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's an interesting point, England are clearly far happier batting second (although the NZ declaration wasn't the issue there, forcing the follow on was). I wonder how this game would've played out if Aus had won the toss.
I think Aus would have made a biiiiiig score. This pitch on Day 1 was as flat as the Ahemedebad pitch was a few months back and it took a legit masterclass from Ashwin to keep them to "only" 470.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Loooking in from a neutral POV, I depise the Aussie team because they thrash our a$$es everytime we go down under BUT going into this test a scintilla of me was rooting for them. Why? Because, I love the format more than anything in the world and I somehow saw Aussies as being the last stand for England's brand of cricket. After all, they are the current holders of the test mace.

I wanted their (England's) philosophy to have a roadblock. No cool runnings. Get-back-to-earth.

So, the contrasts between the sides and their style of cricket really intrigued me.

Now, this is why I like the idea of a 5-test series. The stitching together of a storyline is as old as the game is. It's beautiful.
I'm not an old dude, but test cricket has always been my love.
Kids these days have it too good. They need to slow the **** down and smell the roses.

One love.
Peace :)