• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

CartyDurham

International Captain
As for number of posts, that’s what the forum is about? Post so we can all have a chat about cricket etc?

I will be very quiet in the next match so that will be relief for everyone

CartyDurham

International Captain
buddy ive been called worse things on this place

maybe you're getting so many alerts because you're posting that often?
I agree. I just want to be friendly. If I’m quoted or tagged should I just ignore people ? Is that not being ignorant to do that ?

anyway come on, we’ve done this to death now surely. Let’s look forward to lords

Socerer 01

International Captain
I agree. I just want to be friendly. If I’m quoted or tagged should I just ignore people ? Is that not being ignorant to do that ?

anyway come on, we’ve done this to death now surely. Let’s look forward to lords
again no it isn't ignorant or rude to do that, it may just be a generation or age difference here

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator
You wanna know what was completely within the managments control and cost them 140 runs, bare minimum? Picking a half assed keeper who dropped 2 catches and missed a stumping in the 1st dig, abd dropped usman on 1 in the 2nd dig. They picked bairstow over foakes because bairstow is one of their best bats and they deemed him better, but they easily could have dropped Crawley, who's one of the worst openers to get as many innings as he has in the 150 year history of the sport, and played both foakes and bairstow.
I think it was @Adders who pointed out in the lead up how important Foakes has been to the success of BazBall. Not just his stablising batting (which has been good!) but that the whole philosophy is hinged on backing yourself to take 20 wickets each match. Picking your best wicketkeeper is an important part of that.

CartyDurham

International Captain
again no it isn't ignorant or rude to do that, it may just be a generation or age difference here
I’m nearly 60 and it’s how I was brought up. If I’m spoken to I should at least acknowledge this

what young people do is beyond me .

im really loving this forum though . I won’t be name calling or ridiculing anyone . People feel free to aim that at me, so be it

I love cricket

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
The other key moment for me was the 5 mins when Carey was dropped by Bairstow off Root and then the Broad no ball. If those 2 go down Aus are 270-7 and probably looking at a 100 run deficit.

I've not done the numbers, but I suspect the England drops cost quite a few more. Brook was dropped by Head, but shortly after managed to get bowled off thigh and back!! But **** like this happens and it's not worth moaning over, stupid declarations are!!
Agree with the top half, FYI. Australia dropped as many catches as England in their respective first innings. Just a mix of dumb luck in the case of brooks dismissal and lack of application from moeen and bairstow.

Also think who's on the winning side matters here a bit. We can rant about stokes declaration all we want, but on the other side of things Cummins decided not to review a caught behind off Crawley in the 1st innings that was out on 25 and Crawley went on to make 61. If Aus lost this by 10 runs would everyone be blaming Cummins for ****ing up something completely in his control that would have changed the game? If England had won would people still be going on about the declaration as much as they are now.

CartyDurham

International Captain
If for example we were in a room talking like this and people spoke towards me, should I just ignore them and look away?

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I think it was @Adders who pointed out in the lead up how important Foakes has been to the success of BazBall. Not just his stablising batting (which has been good!) but that the whole philosophy is hinged on backing yourself to take 20 wickets each match. Picking your best wicketkeeper is an important part of that.
Completely agree with this. Stokes has said that he wants to take draws out and only win/lose. The most important thing to winning in test cricket is taking 20 wickets, not making runs. Picking a worse keeper for more potential batting flies completely in the face of this.

Spark

Global Moderator
Agree with the top half, FYI. Australia dropped as many catches as England in their respective first innings. Just a mix of dumb luck in the case of brooks dismissal and lack of application from moeen and bairstow.

Also think who's on the winning side matters here a bit. We can rant about stokes declaration all we want, but on the other side of things Cummins decided not to review a caught behind off Crawley in the 1st innings that was out on 25 and Crawley went on to make 61. If Aus lost this by 10 runs would everyone be blaming Cummins for ****ing up something completely in his control that would have changed the game? If England had won would people still be going on about the declaration as much as they are now.
I don't think that's a great example because you would need to have had superhuman ears to have successfully reviewed that. Not much of a missed opportunity if no one heard the edge in the first place.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
When considering Stokes declaration and England's Bazball approach you have to do so with the wider concept of what he, McCullum and the ECB are trying to achieve.

On CW, we're all cricket nuts. We spend time debating whether one player who retired 30 years ago is better than another who retired 60 years ago.

We view Stokes' actions in a purely cricketing sense. Was the declaration the right cricketing decision or not.

In England, test cricket is not on free to air TV and hasn't been since 2005. In fact cricket is barely on free to air TV apart from highlights, which until recently were on late at night.

The concern is that as older fans like me die off, where is the next generation of fans coming from when there's no cricket on TV to stimulate their interest.

The ECB want to try to address that with the hundred and with the test team playing an exciting, attacking brand of cricket.

Yes we want to win, of course we do, but it's also about getting new fans in to the sport. In fact thats the key aim.

We lost yesterday but everyone is talking about it. TMS got record figures, for its online updates. Would that have happened if the test was a bore draw - not a chance.

The way we play under Stokes has stimulated interest in test cricket and that's a big part of what the ECB is trying to achieve.

So you can criticise our play at times and the declaration etc but in doing so you're only looking at it from a purely cricketing perspective and there's much more to it than that.

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year
If for example we were in a room talking like this and people spoke towards me, should I just ignore them and look away?
Carty you're an awesome addition to this forum, your passion for cricket can't be denied and i'm sure you've found the right place here.
But you're gonna run out of juice at this rate, it's not necessary to respond to all quotes and not seen as rude if you dont.

Spark

Global Moderator
Spark. I know all of this and I’ve posted several times I totally accept

I’m also allowed to say that chances were not taken, that did happen and then to say if they had been taken , the result could have been very different

why can no one understand that and accept that ?
Because that's a completely different topic that's not relevant to this particular conversation? Mistakes will always happen in a game of cricket, the declaration is about one very specific, independent mistake.

The frustrating thing is that you accuse other people of saying they don't really believe what they're saying because they would change their tune based on the result (when there's no proof of that at all) and that's really irksome. Debate the point if you disagree, but don't go into the "oh you don't actually believe that do you" game.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ok sorry if I’m being mean but if you were in a room and talking literally non stop as you have been people would move away. Just chill lol. For comparison the most prolific poster here has 90k posts after a decade+. At your rate you’re hitting that in a year..

the big bambino

International Captain
If England had won would people still be going on about the declaration as much as they are now.
For sure they would. PEWS has criticised the declaration from the start and well before the result was known.

I haven’t seen bazball before but I have to say the declarations have been the most controversial aspect for me. I hear the reasons for it and it’s part of the strategy but overall can’t see the pay off. I mean has a bazball declaration actually contributed to a win?

Socerer 01

International Captain
For sure they would. PEWS has criticised the declaration from the start and well before the result was known.

I haven’t seen bazball before but I have to say the declarations have been the most controversial aspect for me. I hear the reasons for it and it’s part of the strategy but overall can’t see the pay off. I mean has a bazball declaration actually contributed to a win?
it did in Pakistan tbf