• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Total credit to England. They are ouclassed by this Aussie lineup but they will take them right to the limit to get Australia to beat them.
England played really well , arguably the better cricket but Australia had the stronger mentality to just hang in there and overcome .

CartyDurham

International Captain
2 balls before the declaration root ran down the pitch and spooned one just over the fielder for two. It's just as likely england lose the next two wickets for 10-20 runs and don't get the four overs at the openers with the new rock after they've been running around all day, and another shot at them with a new rock on day 2 first thing if they don't declare. England got Aus to 20-2 and 50-3 after the declaration on a dead pitch. The issue was bairstow costing them 100+ runs in the field, not the declaration.
That’s exactly what the gamble was. He was hoping to get Warner before close

we didn’t lose because of that but it appears people think we did

anderbroad

Cricket Spectator
Yeah, you probably did tbh
Yeah we did but they knew that decision when they made it. Bad weather in coming. How can we win this match. Gamble and declare to move the game on. Not sure why people cannot understand this.

England play to win. Might mean we draw less games and lose some but we are going to go for it.

Preed

U19 12th Man
Can’t agree more after a brilliant match that Stokes captaincy has been highly praised at times but his arrogance this time has cost us big time.Stupid declaration insistence in bringing Ali back and not taking new ball with Jimmy at the end even though he has not had a good game.Aussies said you can’t play Bazball. Against us and they were correct.We won’t get Smith and Warner and labuchange so cheaply againTime to think about winning and not playing to the press

CartyDurham

International Captain
Yeah you want two blokes who aren't interested in anything but the win/loss, Anderson and Broad would be it. They would be crushed right now.
They won’t be. They are all in on this method

they were getting moved out of the squad prior to stokes becoming captain

loterry1994

International Debutant
Bazball worked because it set England with like a 90% chance to win at the end but the captaincy wasn’t great after Carey went down. Stokes was captaining well all test but got it wrong the last 50 runs plus good batting by aus tail

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah we did but they knew that decision when they made it. Bad weather in coming. How can we win this match. Gamble and declare to move the game on. Not sure why people cannot understand this.

England play to win. Might mean we draw less games and lose some but we are going to go for it.
I honestly think the declaration made the win significantly less likely even with the forecast. It really alleviated the scoreboard pressure Australia could be placed under in the first innings.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Strange interview on sky by Stokes just there. Seemed more interested in how we played and entertained than by a loss.

Will need to watch it again as may have got the wrong end of the stick
I wonder how much of this is Brendon getting into his head. I don't reckon Baz has as much skin in the game as Stokes - he could walk away tomorrow and go lie on his bed of money back in Matamata and know he's fashioned a reputation of giving it a crack and had a whole nonsense term coined about his involvement in it. Whereas Stokes is trying to be the England skipper who wins back the Ashes...I dunno. I know Baz cares but he can't care as much as Stokes and it's quite easy for him to wax lyrical about entertaining losses. I dunno if that's something I'd like my country's Ashes skipper to say.

CartyDurham

International Captain
Can’t agree more after a brilliant match that Stokes captaincy has been highly praised at times but his arrogance this time has cost us big time.Stupid declaration insistence in bringing Ali back and not taking new ball with Jimmy at the end even though he has not had a good game.Aussies said you can’t play Bazball. Against us and they were correct.We won’t get Smith and Warner and labuchange so cheaply againTime to think about winning and not playing to the press
Well we’ve got Warner for around 12 runs ave for the last 6 tests in England

as for the other two, they didn’t perform like one and two in the world so that’s to be seen

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
2 balls before the declaration root ran down the pitch and spooned one just over the fielder for two. It's just as likely england lose the next two wickets for 10-20 runs and don't get the four overs at the openers with the new rock after they've been running around all day, and another shot at them with a new rock on day 2 first thing if they don't declare. England got Aus to 20-2 and 50-3 after the declaration on a dead pitch. The issue was bairstow costing them 100+ runs in the field, not the declaration.
Yeah England took the 20 off the final declaration over. Quite likely they’re bowled out for less than that if they play normally.

CartyDurham

International Captain
I honestly think the declaration made the win significantly less likely even with the forecast. It really alleviated the scoreboard pressure Australia could be placed under in the first innings.
That’s not how England play this era

can people not see and accept that ?

they are all in to create a last inning game, chasing and bowling

it was chances missed not another 30 mins batting that lost the game

I’m trying to make this simple but it’s pointless now

see you at lords

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
OK, yep that's true. Bairstow's boobs for hands is no doubt the most impactful...I'm as much talking about the mentality of the declaration as the tangible result. I didn't like it at the time, I got drunk and merry over the weekend and thought I liked it, and now I'm back to thinking I don't - because I don't like that it gave away ascendancy.

Spark

Global Moderator
Like if he declared on 450 having romped it home all day then sure, make a statement. But 380 just isn't that big a score in that pitch and it opened up a real risk that Australia could bat England out of the game, which should absolutely never happen in that scenario