• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Not surprised. That must've hurt like **** to not bowl when the whips were cracking at the end
Bloke should be sitting in the comm box. Still got the skill, but if this pitch is an indication of what’s to come I just don’t see him being a factor in this series.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Bazball won't be the same now, Root will not be playing those crazy reverse sweeps for some time.
You think? I absolutely hope so...the sight of a guy with 11000 Test runs reverse ramping someone bowling as innocuously as Boland so early in his innings (let alone at all) is too much for me.

Crazy to say about a guy who averages 67 under McCullum's leadership but whilst there's been some huge scores for Root over the past year (and big not out scores) I don't think the approach is best for someone of his immense skill.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Tbf it wouldn’t have been close if Bairstow could ****ing catch.
That's out of Stokes control what happens after the declaration, what's in his control is allowing his best batsman whose got Australia on the ropes to continue batting and he chose not to and there's a consequence for that I think .

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
It’s how England play and you will see more of it

it’s really triggered people but if you watch England under stokes he does it.

it’s an irrelevant point as the real crimes were chances not taken
Yes I get that, but all I am saying is this decision was the biggest factor in England's loss...unless you are saying England (especially Bairstow) never drops catches...and what happened in this test was an aberration...

CartyDurham

International Captain
That's out of Stokes control what happens after the declaration, what's in his control is allowing his best batsman whose got Australia on the ropes to continue batting and he chose not to so and there's a consequence for that I think .
Four overs in fading light

it’s amazing how this is getting to people

it’s irrelevant when taken what did happen.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Bloke should be sitting in the comm box. Still got the skill, but if this pitch is an indication of what’s to come I just don’t see him being a factor in this series.
Yeah, suppose they're going to have to decide that if docile pitches like that are what they're going to prepare, then Wood is the guy every day over Jimmy. And possibly work out how they're going to fit a spinner in if/when Ali isn't it (although I am sure they'll back him) and if Bairstow's **** for hands can't be trusted, how they get Foakes in without upsetting the balance, too.

CartyDurham

International Captain
Yes I get that, but all I am saying is this decision was the biggest factor in England's loss...unless you are saying England (especially Bairstow) never drops catches...and what happened in this test was an aberration...
I’m not saying bairstow doesn’t drop catches but if he didn’t England would have won this game and Broad had his foot about three inches back

the declaration is irrelevant

that’s my whack.

Shri

Mr. Glass
drop pope. pick foakes for 2nd test. hope aus bring in murphy for boland if next pitch also looks similar

chunksafc

U19 12th Man
Strange interview on sky by Stokes just there. Seemed more interested in how we played and entertained than by a loss.

Will need to watch it again as may have got the wrong end of the stick

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
England will play exactly the same at Lords, that's how the team will play under Stokes and McCullum.

You can argue the toss all day about the declaration but in the same position, he'd do the same again.

We didn't lose the game because of that decision.

The seeds of the defeat lay in the injuries we've got.

On top of that we missed too many chances - well Bairstow did.

If a gutting loss because we should have won but on the plus side, we now know we can not only compete with the Aussies but beat them.