• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

CartyDurham

International Captain
Well they would like to get all of them

Head is the biggest wicket for England tomorrow. 174 is not a lot and if Head bat's for an hour, that gets to double figures and then two decent partnerships between whomever left with Green and Carey and you are almost there. Wicket is good to bat and Moeen can't bowl so all depends on the overhead conditions
Whoever gets the win, it’s been a fantastic match

Gob

International Coach
Do we think Australia will go for the runs if we lose really significant time?
Depends on how much is a significant time. They would certainly won't decide to collectively chase 174 in a session as England would

Individuals might have a dart at it (then again it's only head). If they get two sessions, they may go for it in the second one based on how the first one went. Think tank in this side always seem to take the safer approach

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it was @Uppercut who once said that lame nothing "defensive" shots like that should catch as much opprobrium as wild slogs.
Yeah I’ve always thought playing a defensive shot to a ball you could leave is a very big mistake in England. Strangely Labuschagne really stood out for never doing it on the last Ashes tour. Leaving judiciously was basically his one weird trick.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Apart from Khawaja, there's not much experience in the Aussie batting.

Head, Green and Carey won't have faced pressure like this if it gets tight, whereas Robinson apart, our bowlers have been there, read the book, got the t shirt.

Experience doesn't always prove the difference but it often does and that why getting both Warner and Smith was so vital.

kevinw

International 12th Man
If Khawaja stays in then only one of Head, Green and Carey need a fifty. England need Boland out asap. Annoying nighthawk runs aren't going to help.

loterry1994

International Debutant
Apart from Khawaja, there's not much experience in the Aussie batting.

Head, Green and Carey won't have faced pressure like this if it gets tight, whereas Robinson apart, our bowlers have been there, read the book, got the t shirt.

Experience doesn't always prove the difference but it often does and that why getting both Warner and Smith was so vital.
thing with those 3 blokes they look relaxed as hell and it didn’t seem to phase them when Australia was in a similar position their first innings.This is pretty much on khawaja to stay in while everyone else bats around him

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The odd thing is how much England and Bazball has seemed to have gotten into the head of the Aussie side. They are only ever this rattled or spooked when they are in India for a BG series. First time I am seeing them this defensive outside of that.

EDIT - 174 is not that many and they may well win the test, but the first 4 days have been as nervously defensive as I have ever seen them play (again, excepting any BG series in India).

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Warner is a passenger so anything he scores is a bonus but with Smith and Labu gone cheaply, England has the upper hand going into Day 5...will require another immense effort from Khawaja with strong support from Head, Green and Carey to make it close...

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah I’ve always thought playing a defensive shot to a ball you could leave is a very big mistake in England. Strangely Labuschagne really stood out for never doing it on the last Ashes tour. Leaving judiciously was basically his one weird trick.
Even worse than unnecessary defensive shots are when the batsman just...does a "thing". Not really defensive, but not definitely not attacking. Just sort of non-commital movement of the bat in the direction of off stump. Really gets my goat.