• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I rate Saqlain Mushtaq a better spinner than Jedaja. In terms of fast bowlers in the past ten years - they are good collectively but not as good as the fast bowlers from the 1990s to 2005.
The batsmen were better because they faced better bowlers who were better because they faced better batsman. Sounds a lot like a logical fallacy involving a 2D shape.

Spark

Global Moderator
I had him down as a HTB for a while, but he's proved himself to be a genuinely very good player imo. Flaws in his record, yeah, but virtually all good (and even great) players do
I think most people did. His string of away performances in the last 18 months really feels like it's come from nowhere, the way he batted in India in particular was incredibly impressive given he was considered a walking wicket against spin ten years ago.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The batsmen were better because they faced better bowlers who were better because they faced better batsman. Sounds a lot like a logical fallacy involving a 2D shape.
Langer was better than Khawaja because Khawaja never seen a bowler like Hoggard.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Carey feels like a massive improvement on paine as a player but their batting averages are fairly similiar and I don't think carey is a better keeper. Don't know where i'm getting that feeling from, but it's nice to see carey do well after that horror india series.

Spark

Global Moderator
Carey feels like a massive improvement on paine as a player but their batting averages are fairly similiar and I don't think carey is a better keeper. Don't know where i'm getting that feeling from, but it's nice to see carey do well after that horror india series.
Carey is an enormous improvement over Paine against spin (as a keeper, that is) - the latter was genuinely incompetent against Lyon and that well may have cost us the 2021 BGT series. But Paine's more reliable against pace due to that technical problem Carey has with catches to his right.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not playing your best keeper in a 5 test series is simply asking if not begging for trouble
I definitely would have picked Foakes but this idea that you always have to pick your best keeper does take the principle a bit far. I think Manou was probably better than Gilchrist but picking him would have been insane.

Croadymeister

U19 Cricketer
This innings by Khawaja is very much old school test match cricket at its best

bar that no ball wicket, I can’t remember a chance given by him

England will rue those ten mins when Carey was dropped and the no ball

I think when we look back they will be huge moments in this match
Yeah like I say we react badly to mistakes unfortunately and fear the same happening

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Paine was an ok player who was unfairly maligned because he wasn't alpha enough to lead Australia. Without him, Australia get rolled over at Adelaide in 2021 and go down 1 behind after the series opener.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Drop Crawley. Can’t see any other way but then who opens ?
Pope could, stokes could given that he's not doing amazing with the bat right now anyway. I don't really like any of those options and YJB's batting is probably worth the occasional chance he misses. It's not like it's buttler 4 years ago where he was dropping as many of YJB off spin and also averaging less than foakes with the bat in test and FC.

Spark

Global Moderator
Paine was an ok player who was unfairly maligned because he wasn't alpha enough to lead Australia. Without him, Australia get rolled over at Adelaide in 2021 and go down 1 behind after the series opener.
That's, like, his only memorable Test innings though. I genuinely can't remember another one other than maybe his 92 ages ago.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
N
That's, like, his only memorable Test innings though. I genuinely can't remember another one other than maybe his 92 ages ago.
Made an important 80 odd vs NZ in the boxing day test a few years back when trav got his second test ton.