• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
There has been alot of talk about Bazball and that it won't work against Australia because their bowling line up is too good.

That's nonsense for me because I think alot of people don't really understand what Bazball is. This is from Andrew Miller on Cricinfo and is the best explanation as I understand it, of what it is.

'Bazball is not a synonym for witless slogging, it is about taking the field with an uncluttered, fear-free mindset, with licence to find the very best version of yourself, safe in the knowledge that there will be no dressing-room recriminations for failure.'

Now that doesn't mean we'll slog Cummins and Co for a run a ball as that's not what McCullum and Stokes are trying to achieve.

We may or may not beat Australia, but I believe the work done since McCullum and Stokes came to the fore, gives our players the best chance to play to their full potential.

Then we will see if that is good enough to win or not.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
'Bazball is not a synonym for witless slogging, it is about taking the field with an uncluttered, fear-free mindset, with licence to find the very best version of yourself, safe in the knowledge that there will be no dressing-room recriminations for failure.'
I am as big a fan of Bazball as you can find here, but come on mate, that is just corpspeak bs masquerading as sports journalism.

Socerer 01

International Captain
unless you are Foakes that is

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I am as big a fan of Bazball as you can find here, but come on mate, that is just corpspeak bs masquerading as sports journalism.
I know what you mean but what stops sportsmen performing to their full potential is the fear of failure.

The best example in cricket is England's ODI team. Prior to Eoin Morgan, our players were scared to play in too attacking a way because if we they got out they would get slaughtered in the press. Look at the criticism Pietersen would get when he got out to an injudicous shot. Morgan changed that and almost overnight we were transformed.

Stokes and McCullum are doing the same for the test team.

mustardcharlie

School Boy/Girl Captain
Australia have the World's No.1 (Marnus Labuschagne) , No.2 (Steve Smith) and No.3 (Travis) ranked batsmen in the ICC batting rankings going into the Ashes ..
Last time this happened was 1984 for the West Indies when Gordon Greenidge, Sir Clive Lloyd and Larry Gomes held the top 3 rankings respectively.
And the relevance to this test is .......?

Nas207

School Boy/Girl Captain
Not feeling good about Crawley or Ali playing. Neither merit a place in the side, would be happier with someone unproven in either slot. Especially concerned about the bowling, Anderson/broad/Robinson/Stokes all have fitness questions and I don't trust Ali to bowl lots of overs in a holding role.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not feeling good about Crawley or Ali playing. Neither merit a place in the side, would be happier with someone unproven in either slot.
I'd take any opener ahead of Crawley. No idea which spinner I'd choose so no issues on Mo getting the nod.

Nas207

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'd take any opener ahead of Crawley. No idea which spinner I'd choose so no issues on Mo getting the nod.
I've just never liked Mo as a test bowler, especially when it looks like we may need a lot of overs from him. He produces the magic ball but has never been consistent enough. Can see him getting dominated.

mustardcharlie

School Boy/Girl Captain
Not too sure what challenge you offer. Root, Bairstow and Brook to get more than your 3? Graham Gooch has the most runs in a test. My point was that your srats/rankings are not really relevant. Most "rums" in a test Garry Sobers holds the record

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not too sure what challenge you offer. Root, Bairstow and Brook to get more than your 3? Graham Gooch has the most runs in a test. My point was that your srats/rankings are not really relevant. Most "rums" in a test Garry Sobers holds the record
How many rums did he have?