• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test (Edgbaston, Birmingham) 16–20 June

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Ashes will be available to watch in Australia on Nine’s Wide World Of Sports, specifically on the Nine and Nine Now network on the following channels: 9Gem and 9Gem HD.
now back to you Ritchie in the central commentary position

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looking at the first pictures of the pitch it seems they're getting their flat wickets wish. Looks like one of the regular ODI strips.

social

Yes thanks MG
Weather
16th -
Fine and dry
17th - Ditto
18th - Cloudier with chances of showers later
19th - As 18th
20th - Chucking it down from about lunch

This forecast makes the toss important. Win the toss. Pile on 450 runs in 4-5 sessions. Get the opposition in under cloudy skies. This is surely the plan for either captain
Ricky Ponting disagrees

Starfighter

So looking at the pitch, would any of the English supporters here leave one of the three fast-mediums out for Wood?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So looking at the pitch, would any of the English supporters here leave one of the three fast-mediums out for Wood?
Might depend a bit on Stokes' ability to bowl. A four man attack on what looks like a bit of road consisting of someone liable to break down and Moeen Ali might be a bridge too far.

Qlder

International Debutant
So Smith has the most runs by an Aussie ever at Edgbaston (2 Tests, 301 runs @ 75.25) while Lyon (2 Tests, 12 wkts @ 20.75) has 2nd most Wkts behind Warnie (4 Tests, 25 wkts @ 21.76)

Seems they like this ground 😀

Qlder

International Debutant
Just refreshed my memory of last Ashes Test here. Australia won the toss and batted only to be 8-122. Australia still won the Test by 251 runs after declaring 7 down in 2nd innings 😀

Molehill

International Captain
Just refreshed my memory of last Ashes Test here. Australia won the toss and batted only to be 8-122. Australia still won the Test by 251 runs after declaring 7 down in 2nd innings 😀
Two weird things happened in that Test. Anderson only bowled 4 overs and Wade did an impression of a Test quality batsman.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I'd definitely play Wood.

He was far and away our best bowler Down Under and he obviously can trouble any player with his extra pace. However, he should be used in short, sharp spells of no more than 5 overs.

To do this we need 5 bowlers and it wouldn't surprise me if we played Wood, Jimmy, Robinson and either Broad or Woakes. The 5th bowler will be a combo of Stokes and Root.

It's a tough call between Broad and Woakes - Broad would be tough to leave out but Woakes' batting is so useful at 8.

It would be a big call to go in with no front line spinner, but if we want to play Wood, it's the best way to go.

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator
I'd definitely play Wood.

He was far and away our best bowler Down Under and he obviously can trouble any player with his extra pace. However, he should be used in short, sharp spells of no more than 5 overs.

To do this we need 5 bowlers and it wouldn't surprise me if we played Wood, Jimmy, Robinson and either Broad or Woakes. The 5th bowler will be a combo of Stokes and Root.

It's a tough call between Broad and Woakes - Broad would be tough to leave out but Woakes' batting is so useful at 8.

It would be a big call to go in with no front line spinner, but if we want to play Wood, it's the best way to go.
I agree with pretty much all that.

But I'm pretty sure they will play Mo having sent him the SOS.