• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Blast 2023

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting approach to team selection at The Oval today. Sean Abbott's 34 ball 100 wasn't enough to keep him in the team, and Jason Roy's pre-match teak a week or so ago has now kept him out of three matches. I wonder whether the latter owes something to Alex Stewart's comment the other day, expressing discontent about players coming back from lucrative franchises, hardly ever available to play for the county but expecting the same medical support and practice facilities as the guys who actually turn out for the side. Either way, 148ao looks sub-par. iirc Sussex knocked us out in the quarter finals last year, and they'll fancy their chances of chasing this down today.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
13 out of 15 overs bowled by spinners. Big boundaries at Edgbaston. Other two overs by Brookes went for 26. Think they knew what they were doing.

Lancs crash out. Excellent catching by the home side.

Steeler the Dog

Cricket Spectator
Hi everyone, I hope you will have me on board. I am a big fan of county cricket living overseas from the U.K.

I follow Northants in the Blast.

Watching many games on the most welcome live streams and with a long interest in the competition, it does seem as if the days of smaller clubs winning the competition is becoming a thing of the past. There seems to be much more of a hierarchy now - when I watch the likes of Northants or Derbyshire, and then move on to watch Notts or Birmingham, it looks like the latter are on a different level.

mackembhoy

International Regular
Hi everyone, I hope you will have me on board. I am a big fan of county cricket living overseas from the U.K.

I follow Northants in the Blast.

Watching many games on the most welcome live streams and with a long interest in the competition, it does seem as if the days of smaller clubs winning the competition is becoming a thing of the past. There seems to be much more of a hierarchy now - when I watch the likes of Northants or Derbyshire, and then move on to watch Notts or Birmingham, it looks like the latter are on a different level.
Northants stream for the blast for the Durham game was excellent.

If you're overseas you can't praise county cricket so you'll need to fix that attitude about a perfectly decent standard of cricket to fit in here.

mackembhoy

International Regular
Ahmed 2/20 off his 4 while Derbyshire score 189.

Madsen another 50+ score his fourth in four games only a big one of 109*

Yorkshire going well in the Roses match 187 going into the last over. You'd back Lancs with their batting lineup however.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
Yorkies win the Roses match.
Lancs will probably be ok to qualify as they finish the group stage with lots of home games. But I wonder if they know their best side or their best bowlers.
Bailey, Parkinson, Hartley only given one over, Wells two.
Does Livingstone, made captain for the Blast, know or trust his players?
Why drop Bell, a batsman for Buttler (1 run, 2 balls) why not drop one of those three extra bowlers, not Wells or Hartley, and only use 7 bowlers not 8 and play an extra batsman?

mackembhoy

International Regular
Blast and English domestic is cricket is rubbish according to this place.

Lancashire with Buttler Livingstone Mitchell De Grandhomme and Salt pretty comfortably beaten by Durham who's best players were surplus to requirements at Middlesex and Kent.

Almost like plucky county players are underrated.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
Blast and English domestic is cricket is rubbish according to this place.

Lancashire with Buttler Livingstone Mitchell De Grandhomme and Salt pretty comfortably beaten by Durham who's best players were surplus to requirements at Middlesex and Kent.

Almost like plucky county players are underrated.
Not so much county players are underrated, rather than their opponents effectively being a badly led franchise. If anyone is watching this could be what happens when players jump from one franchise to another.
Interesting to note that Lancs had 6 home produced players, Durham had 1 plus a couple from Cumbria and 1 from Lancs as being home produced. Rest imported and this year properly coached.

mackembhoy

International Regular
Not so much county players are underrated, rather than their opponents effectively being a badly led franchise. If anyone is watching this could be what happens when players jump from one franchise to another.
Interesting to note that Lancs had 6 home produced players, Durham had 1 plus a couple from Cumbria and 1 from Lancs as being home produced. Rest imported and this year properly coached.
More that our locally produced players are injured/with England or not very good at T20.

Parnell wouldn't have signed and Glover/De Leede might not be playing if we had Potts/Coughlin and I'll shoehorn in Sunderland fan Carse haha.

Then Borthwick,Doneathy,Bushnell,Campbell who have all played in the last 12 months aren't good enough. Doneathy played the last two batting at 7 and not bowling so dropped.

We've produced Lancashire Jones and Cumbrians Trev and Clark well enough. We cast our net over Cumbria and Northumberland anyway(I'm from Northumberland and support Durham)

Third_Man

State 12th Man
More that our locally produced players are injured/with England or not very good at T20.

Parnell wouldn't have signed and Glover/De Leede might not be playing if we had Potts/Coughlin and I'll shoehorn in Sunderland fan Carse haha.

Then Borthwick,Doneathy,Bushnell,Campbell who have all played in the last 12 months aren't good enough. Doneathy played the last two batting at 7 and not bowling so dropped.

We've produced Lancashire Jones and Cumbrians Trev and Clark well enough. We cast our net over Cumbria and Northumberland anyway(I'm from Northumberland and support Durham)
That is always true when just looking at a single game. The point being that Durham played as a team last night. Lancashire anything but.

Jones played Lancashire upto and inc under 19s never played age group for Durham.
Trevaskis played Cumbria u17s as well as (later) Durham under17s.
Clark only played Cumbria u15s but is Cleator through and through, last played for them in 2021. Would have probably be playing for Cumbria had Franklin stayed.
Mcalindon, Winskill and Ghumman all rightly with Durham. Hope they make it but don't knock the value put in up to under15 and beyond.

mackembhoy

International Regular
Interesting you say Duneathy not good enough. Is that why was allowed to play for Northumberland?
Think we've had a few play for Northumberland while also at Durham. I'm sure both Poyntner and Pringle did off the top of my head.

With Marcus North relationship with South North CC which I assume is where Northumberland play their games it's an easy thing for them to lend players I imagine.

Sure Northumberland have a had a few NEPL overseas pros turn out for them.

Third_Man

State 12th Man
Think we've had a few play for Northumberland while also at Durham. I'm sure both Poyntner and Pringle did off the top of my head.

With Marcus North relationship with South North CC which I assume is where Northumberland play their games it's an easy thing for them to lend players I imagine.

Sure Northumberland have a had a few NEPL overseas pros turn out for them.
They play all over: Jesmond, North Shields, Allendale but often play their T20s at South North. Poynter became their pro after leaving Durham. 16 year old Haydn Mustard playing at the moment just made his debut the other week. Overseas pros would not be eligible for (Minor) National County cricket.