• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official - Road to Ashes 2023

mackembhoy

International Debutant
And they could easily be facing Anderson (40), Broad (turns 37 before 2nd Test), Wood (33), and Leach (32 before 2nd Test), Woakes (34).

Only Robinson at 29 is under 30 out of the entire bowling units.

It does beg questions in both countries, where are the young bowlers?
We've had Mahmood, Ahmed, Potts and Fisher making their test debuts since the beginning of 2022.

Then you've got crocked Archer, Stone and Carse all under 30.

Then there is a load of other young spinners in county cricket at the minute Carson,Paterson-White, Moriaty, Virdi, C.Parkinson that haven't had a go. Plus the likes of Bess, M.Parkinson ,Crane

Then you've got people like Cook and Porter at Essex too in the seam department off the top of my head.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We've had Mahmood, Ahmed, Potts and Fisher making their test debuts since the beginning of 2022.

Then you've got crocked Archer, Stone and Carse all under 30.

Then there is a load of other young spinners in county cricket at the minute Carson,Paterson-White, Moriaty, Virdi, C.Parkinson that haven't had a go. Plus the likes of Bess, M.Parkinson ,Crane

Then you've got people like Cook and Porter at Essex too in the seam department off the top of my head.
Half of these guys wouldn't make a Melbourne First Grade XI

Molehill

International Captain
Half of these guys wouldn't make a Melbourne First Grade XI
I'd have to agree with that. Of those mentioned, only Potts and Ahmed look like International regulars of the future. The others are either too injury prone, not good enough or can't even get a game for their County. Carson is one who may develop as he's still young too.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is Gus Atkinson at Surrey on England's radar? Always been very impressed whenever they can actually find space in their side for him.
Saw him bowling when watching some highlights recently. Interesting looking bowler, but well off the radar at the moment. You like it if he was a year or two younger too.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean yes there are young options, but they all seem to be a long way behind the incumbents in terms of quality (except the spinners maybe).

Also, why are the younger bowlers the ones picking up the injuries? Throw in Archer too.
Of course their behind the incumbents in terms of quality, there in their early 20's while our main attack is in their 30's. I think jhye has a higher ceiling then anyone in or around the current squad bar starc and Cummins and Sutherland is better than bolland or neser were at the sane age and a few years behind that.

Starc-Cumm-Haze are as good the 2000s band of McGrath-gillespie-Lee as a 3 man unit and are fairly experienced. Expecting there to be a ton of youngsters running around better than them is a pretty extreme expectation IMO. Same sort of thing with Anderson and broad bar the comparison with the 2000s AUS attack.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Also, on the topic of young spinners, there's also tanveer sangha, who spent the entirety of last season injured......

mackembhoy

International Debutant
I'd have to agree with that. Of those mentioned, only Potts and Ahmed look like International regulars of the future. The others are either too injury prone, not good enough or can't even get a game for their County. Carson is one who may develop as he's still young too.
You agree with someone obviously baiting?

Most of the people I've named played international cricket or A cricket and that's less than grade level in Australia is it?

But then we'll go into the every player in the shield would dominate county cricket again conversation when that's been shown to be incorrect.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
ikr lol

more seriously though, I was exaggerating to point out most of those guys you mentioned are hardly on the level of the top Test bowlers
Definitely but isn't the point of youth to improve. Is there any attacks out there with multiple younguns in anyway.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Definitely but isn't the point of youth to improve. Is there any attacks out there with multiple younguns in anyway.
Sure but the point of discussion is why aren't the young bowlers at the level to be playing ahead of the oldies

Naming a bunch of young bowlers that aren't as good as them, and most not even international class is kind of off-topic. Not that I had a real issue with it, was just poking a bit of fun

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Starc-Cumm-Haze are as good the 2000s band of McGrath-gillespie-Lee as a 3 man unit and are fairly experienced. Expecting there to be a ton of youngsters running around better than them is a pretty extreme expectation IMO. Same sort of thing with Anderson and broad bar the comparison with the 2000s AUS attack.
Less than impressive Starc and injury prone Hazelwood aren't a match for Gillespie/Lee so you are suggesting Cummins > McGrath?

Molehill

International Captain
You agree with someone obviously baiting?

Most of the people I've named played international cricket or A cricket and that's less than grade level in Australia is it?

But then we'll go into the every player in the shield would dominate county cricket again conversation when that's been shown to be incorrect.
I know it was baiting and Grade Cricket was clearly an exaggeration, you don't need to rise to every worm that gets dangled. But there was a point that the quality of those mentioned wasn't great.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I definitely rate Haze+Starc ahead of Gillespie+Lee.

The only thing McGrath really has on Cummins is longevity at this stage. They're pretty even otherwise. I think Cummins will probably finish not far behind McGrath on my personal ranking list when he hangs them up.

The real difference in the attacks was obviously Warne.