• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2022/23

Molehill

Cricketer Of The Year
I’ve got a mate in the industry, and lower league footballers are definitely at it. I guess it’s a case of trying not to get caught.

We had Ronnie Moore sacked for it many years ago.
In the mid 90's, I remember going into a Ladbrokes in Portsmouth and finding Mark Chamberlain and Gerry Creaney sat there having a few bets on the horses. I presume that is still legal these days, just can't bet on football right?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It probably humps Brentford out of the best fee they could get because he's got 2 years left on his contract doesn't he? This summer would be the prime time to sell him.
Yeah absolutely. Only slight hope is that he now signs a new contract but that is probably unlikely. Don't think they will go for a direct replacement, expecting a bit of a change in style.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Back to the 80s! Dust off the Panini album from ‘85 with its Steve Ogrizovic and David Pleat.
My abiding memory of Luton in the top flight was winning at Maine Road to send Man City down at their expense, and Pleat's celebratory jig after the match. Maybe in 1983? Coventry seemed to stay in the top division for ever without doing anything memorable in the league. I'm old enough to remember Ernie Hunt's donkey kick in around 1970, but I may be in a minority of one around here. iirc Marc from these parts is a Coventry supporter, but I haven't seen him posting for ages.

EDIT
Actually it was Willie Carr with the donkey kick, which Hunt volleyed in. iirc they changed the rules after this so that anyone taking a free kick can only use one foot.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
My abiding memory of Luton in the top flight was winning at Maine Road to send Man City down at their expense, and Pleat's celebratory jig after the match. Maybe in 1983? Coventry seemed to stay in the top division for ever without doing anything memorable in the league. I'm old enough to remember Ernie Hunt's donkey kick in around 1970, but I may be in a minority of one around here. iirc Marc from these parts is a Coventry supporter, but I haven't seen him posting for ages.
Would have been later than 83 as it was a play-off game wasn’t it, albeit early format where one side was fighting to stay up and two to go up

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Would have been later than 83 as it was a play-off game wasn’t it, albeit early format where one side was fighting to stay up and two to go up
No, it wasn't as play-off. It was the final league match of the season. I'll see what I can find.

Here we are. The opening blurb explains the situation.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
No, it wasn't as play-off. It was the final league match of the season. I'll see what I can find.

Here we are. The opening blurb explains the situation.
Ah I’m thinking of a different game then. Sure Pleat did a dance after winning a play off to stay up

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Ah I’m thinking of a different game then. Sure Pleat did a dance after winning a play off to stay up
Maybe 1992-93 in the division under the Premiership. Maybe called the First Division at that stage? A quick search confirmed that Luton weren't close to being relegated under Pleat in the seasons after 1982-83, and then he went to Tottenham. He returned to Luton for 1991-92, when they were relegated from the top flight. In 1992-93 they escaped another relegation but only by a couple of points. So maybe that was the one you're thinking of.

This is helpful, as it shows every team's results throughout the season.

Luton lost their last match of the season, but so did Brentford, Cambridge and Sunderland. If they had all won their final matches, Luton would have been in the bottom 3. So maybe Pleat celebrated on that occasion too.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Might just have been thinking of what you posted. I’d always had in my head that it was a play-off but only Charlton ever stayed up under that format. Ah well.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Might just have been thinking of what you posted. I’d always had in my head that it was a play-off but only Charlton ever stayed up under that format. Ah well.
tbf you were very young in 1983. For my generation, it was as much about City being relegated as it was about Luton staying up. City had been a decent side for years and it seemed unthinkable that they could go down, until they did.