• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official - Road to Ashes 2023

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Let’s hope the mods don’t give Burgey a pity ban like they did just before England obliterated Australia in the WC Semis. I want him fronting up as Australia are annihilated

Last edited:

Qlder

International Debutant
Neser and Labuschagne vs Robinson and Smith for next 4 days (Glam vs Suss)

Harris vs Potts will also be interesting (Glouc vs Durh). While Harris made a 148 his other 6 innings are 135 runs @ 22.50

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
Still don't know why he's batting 5 for Sussex, should be at 3 if Pujara needs to be at 4.
Because Sussex have a set in stone top 3 of Haines, Orr and Alsop and they will continue to be the 3 long after Smith has had his little jaunt with County Cricket.

Sussex somewhat surprisingly opting to bowl (it's normally at its flattest on Day 2), but it still looks good for batting. The annoying thing from a Sussex perspective is that McAndrew would be of far more use to this team than Smith.

Molehill

International Captain
I know you're baiting and all, but ffs
No I mean it. Sussex have scored 400 odd in their last 4 matches with Smith either not playing or not contributing. Scoring runs has not generally been an issue. What they desperately need is more help for Robinson with the ball, hence why McAndrew is actually more use to this team than Smith is.

Anyway, about to see Robinson bowl his first ball to Labuschagne this Summer (5 slips and a leg slip), probably won't be the last.

Haha, and one ball is all it took as he gets him plum lbw. Didn't even bother to look at the umpire.

Qlder

International Debutant
Because Sussex have a set in stone top 3 of Haines, Orr and Alsop and they will continue to be the 3 long after Smith has had his little jaunt with County Cricket.
So they pay a small fortune to have the #3 ranked Test Batsman in the World to bat below Alsop who averages 30.62 in FC cricket lol

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Neser and Labuschagne vs Robinson and Smith for next 4 days (Glam vs Suss)

Harris vs Potts will also be interesting (Glouc vs Durh). While Harris made a 148 his other 6 innings are 135 runs @ 22.50
Robinson gets Laubuschagne for 1 LBW.

Marnus was away to square leg before he turned around to see the finger up.

Hard to tell from the stream as Sussex camera is a on a funky angle. Looked decent enough.

Molehill

International Captain
So they pay a small fortune to have the #3 ranked Test Batsman in the World to bat below Alsop who averages 30.62 in FC cricket lol
This is Sussex, there's no 'small fortune' available even for Smith. I suspect it was more a 'mutually acceptable' amount seeing as Smith clearly wanted to come to England early anyway.

Alsop scored 180 no in the last match...and clearly I'm not the only one thinking this about Smith (who's just put one down at 2nd slip).

Whisper It, But Are Sussex A Worse Side With Steve Smith In The XI? (wisden.com)

Molehill

International Captain
Well Neser scored 1 more than Labuschagne, but he's perished in a near identical fashion with Robinson not bothering to look round to the umpire before celebrating.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
The 1986/87 Australian side was one of the worst ever put on the park. A lot of the blokes in it may have become good or great players later, but at that time they were bloody hopeless. 2010/11 Aus under performed and England that summer down here were exceptionally good.

I'm well aware of what has transpired across the various series over the years, which is why whenever an England supporter such as yourself trots out the old "when was the last time you won in England?" I remind them it was the 4th test in 2019, whereas the last time England won here was the fifth test in 2011.

I haven't been as bullish about an away Ashes series as this one in ages. There's a yawning chasm between the quality of these two sides, not just a gap. Aus brings an attack over this time which is fresh, knows the conditions and is brimming with quality that's suited to the conditions led byt he best bowler in the world. In Smith and Labushagne it has the two best batsmen on either side, Khawaja is the better of the four openers on offer, Head cancels Brook out, Green will function as a fifth bowler which England lacks, and Lyon >>> Leach.

It's done. Honestly, spare yourselves the angst and have a breather til August when the Premier League kicks off again.
We were also crap going into the 86/87 series. One of our own journalists famously said this England team has 3 main issues, 'they can't bat, they can't bowl and they can't field.'

We didn't win a single warm up game from memory and we had the likes of Bill Athey and Jack Richarfs playing - it was a massive shock at the time.

As for the Aussies last winning a test in England in 2019, so what - it's winning the series that count.

I think there is a gap between the sides, but with home advantage that gap will be nowhere near as large as you think it will be.

What's for certain is the gap between the sides is much less than in some previous home series when we've beat you.

I think it will be a close series. I think we can win but equally you're more than capable of beating us.

That's why it's such a highly anticipated series.

Molehill

International Captain
Robinson has now removed all the 'Aussies' as Van der Gugten edges to slip. 4-22 off 10 overs

Looks like Smith might have a bit of batting to do in this one...

Qlder

International Debutant
Robinson has now removed all the 'Aussies' as Van der Gugten edges to slip. 4-22 off 10 overs
Well even Haines took 2-22. Haha, you said it would be easy to bat at Hove and you were surprised Sussex decided to bowl first (then Glamorgan 8-83 at lunch)

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
Well even Haines took 2-22. Haha, you said it would be easy to bat at Hove and you were surprised Sussex decided to bowl first (then Glamorgan 8-83 at lunch)
It's a bright sunny day, normally perfect for batting at Hove, and yet the ball is swinging. Two wickets were bowled not playing a shot, everything else has either been lbw or caught behind. Glamorgan have not batted well, it's probably more a 100-3 than an 80-8 kind of morning. But then Robinson just seems a bit too good for most Div 2 batsmen.