• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official - Road to Ashes 2023

Qlder

International Debutant
Comparison

Duckett - Khawaja ☆
Crawley - Warner ☆
Pope - Labuschagne ☆
Root - Smith ☆
Brook - Head ☆
Stokes - Green ☆
Bairstow ☆ - Carey
Robinson ☆ - Starc
Broad - Cummins ☆
Leach - Lyon ☆
Anderson ☆ - Hazlewood

So 7-4 to Australia ?

ataraxia

International Coach
Duckett ☆ – Warner
Crawley – Khawaja ☆
Pope – Labuschagne ☆
Root ☆ – Smith
Brook ☆ – Head
Bairstow ☆ – Carey
Stokes – Green ☆
Robinson ☆ – Starc
Broad – Cummins ☆
Leach – Lyon ☆
Anderson ☆ – Hazlewood

Evidently 6–5 to England.

Molehill

International Captain
Comparison

Duckett - Khawaja ☆
Crawley - Warner ☆
Pope - Labuschagne ☆
Root - Smith ☆
Brook - Head ☆
Stokes - Green ☆
Bairstow ☆ - Carey
Robinson ☆ - Starc
Broad - Cummins ☆
Leach - Lyon ☆
Anderson ☆ - Hazlewood

So 7-4 to Australia ?
A couple of interesting ones there. In 2019 Lyon took 20 wickets in 5 Tests at 33.4 whilst Leach took 12 wickets in 4 Tests at 25.8. What you'd think would be an automatic win for Aus isn't as clear cut as you'd think.

Also in 2019, Head 27, Khawaja 20, Warner 9......and you give them 3 wins?

Qlder

International Debutant
A couple of interesting ones there. In 2019 Lyon took 20 wickets in 5 Tests at 33.4 whilst Leach took 12 wickets in 4 Tests at 25.8. What you'd think would be an automatic win for Aus isn't as clear cut as you'd think.

Also in 2019, Head 27, Khawaja 20, Warner 9......and you give them 3 wins?
So do you really think Leach is better than Lyon and Duckett better than Khawaja ? also Warner is crap but better than Crawley (too soon to say Brook is better than Head)

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
So do you really think Leach is better than Lyon and Duckett better than Khawaja ? also Warner is crap but better than Crawley (too soon to say Brook is better than Head)
No I don't think Leach is better than Lyon. But as the 2019 stats show, it wasn't as straightforward as we'd have thought. I think Lyon could be a key player in this series because if the seamers don't take early wickets, he will bowl a lot of overs and I have no doubt the English batsmen will come at him in a big way (see England in Pakistan).

Root v Smith is also interesting. Assuming Smith doesn't average 110 this time, what will he need to produce to score more than Root now unburdened by captaincy?

For me, the most glaring Aus win is at Number 3. I'd have absolutely no doubt that the run machine Labuschagne will comfortably outscore the skittish and somewhat lucky still to be there Pope.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In recent times he's barely played for England. Or at all really. Hasn't played a Test in over two years. Don't think workload management is to blame here. Just a nasty injury that the doctors don't seem to be able to solve.
The original injury was discovered after he'd bowled more overs than any other England bowler that year wasn't it? And after he'd been submitted to an 8 over full pace bowl off with Mark Wood, they discovered he had a stress fracture in his elbow...they broke him.

Molehill

International Captain
The original injury was discovered after he'd bowled more overs than any other England bowler that year wasn't it? And after he'd been submitted to an 8 over full pace bowl off with Mark Wood, they discovered he had a stress fracture in his elbow...they broke him.
In the 2019 series he bowled 156 overs in 4 matches (Broad bowled 175 in 5). But it was more the kind of overs he was being asked to bowl. Arguably, that ball he bowled to Smith was the worst thing he could've done for his career.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He genuinely just trundles in and throws the ball. Him getting a stress fracture in the elbow would have to be one of the least surprising sports injuries of all time

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
by
He genuinely just trundles in and throws the ball. Him getting a stress fracture in the elbow would have to be one of the least surprising sports injuries of all time
A bloke from Yorkshire (join the dots) 'captained' him into the ground. Stop defending the indefensible.

This is not even the biggest crime committed against Archer. The worst part of it all is they made him say he was English.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I think Archer was over bowled at times in tests but it won't be last time that happens.

Nearly all top class pace bowlers bowl too much. But I think with Jofra it's down to his action. His pace comes from the quickness of his arm and its hardly surprising that his elbow couldn't stand the strain.

Unfortunately I think his test career is probably over and he'll stick to franchise cricket if and when he does return.

Red_Ink_Squid

Global Moderator
He did bowl more overs for England in his first year than anyone else - but that's slightly misleading as the other first choice Test bowlers don't play white ball internationals, so there weren't any other equivalent England bowlers to compare him to.

I think it's fair enough to say Root overbowled him - I remember there were a couple of long spells in the 2019 English summer in particular which felt wrong at the time let alone in hindsight. But I still think it's too simplistic to say England management outright caused his injury. His first elbow injury first came one Test into a tour and his subsequent back and elbow injuries seem to have occurred despite his workload being managed quite carefully. Like TJB says above, I think his action and the pace he bowls means he was always in danger of picking up injuries.

(I'll confess the full pace bowl off with Wood you mention is news to me. If that happened then that does sound pretty daft.)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
IF the seamers don't take early wickets....

(that better?)
No, because the larger you make the if, the more you're highlighting the desperation of your point when the top order is Crawley, Duckett and Pope.

Reality is starting to set in now for some England supporters as the weather over there grows what passes for warmer in the Dreary Isles. They've had to actually have a look at the squads now and are realizing the England outfit largely doesn't belong on the same park as the Australian side. Root (despite having questions to answer) and Stokes (despite being a recidivist thug who should be watching from a 6x8 foot cell in Pentonville Road Gaol) are very good players. Robinson has the makings of one, while Broad and Anderson are good in their own conditions but won't half last the series - one of them is already in doubt. The rest are hack sloggers and pretenders. They have no place in test cricket.

Player for player, Aus simply has the better batsmen and better bowlers by a large margin. As I've been saying for months, the series is done as a contest. It's over. Stick a fork in it.

Molehill

International Captain
He did bowl more overs for England in his first year than anyone else - but that's slightly misleading as the other first choice Test bowlers don't play white ball internationals, so there weren't any other equivalent England bowlers to compare him to.
You could compare him to Woakes who also played 4 Tests in the 2019 series (and bowled only 95 overs compared to 156).