• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official - Road to Ashes 2023

Brook's side

International Regular
Despite what you initially thought, this was clearly a shocking decision.

However, I think it is ridiculous to suggest that appealing was in any way unsportsmanlike or bullying. Being so wide on the crease, the ball would, from the bowler's perception, have appeared to pitch in line.
It wasn't my initial thought that it wasn't a shocking decision. It was my initial thought that it was not clear that it was a wrong decision. It is my reflected thought that it was probably a wrong decision but that it is not a shocking decision.

On the 'unsportsmanlike' appeal, it should be pretty clear that I'm not calling the player a bully for appealing for an lbw where in fact the ball probably pitched a couple of inches outside leg stump. That's not the point at all.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
@Nintendo my point was that the whinging from certain posters is because because Labuschagne is Australian. If, say, Anderson got a similar decision you wouldn't hear a peep.

Brook's side

International Regular
@Nintendo my point was that the whinging from certain posters is because because Labuschagne is Australian. If, say, Anderson got a similar decision you wouldn't hear a peep.
As a general rule, you'll find that it helps if you read the posts before you comment on them.

It's nothing to do with the fact that he appealed. It was a close call and he was perfectly entitled to appeal.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
As a general rule, you'll find that it helps if you read the posts before you comment on them.

It's nothing to do with the fact that he appealed. It was a close call and he was perfectly entitled to appeal.
I bet you wouldn't ask Joe root to fight seito kaiba if he was in marnus's situation.....

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

And then your subsequent posting shows that I nailed it perfectly.

Brook's side

International Regular
The video's been taken down now anyway

There is a still of part of the appeal here though:

This must be the first appeal, which looks bad enough.

For the 2nd wicket he got pretty much right in the umpire's face whilst screaming.

If you do open the video by the way, I strongly suggest turning the sound off or pressing pause.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So your defence of Labushagne is that the umpire could beat him up in a 1 on 1?
Umpires shouldn’t be bullied into any decisions. If they are then they’re umpiring above their station.

Also, it was one of the 8,248 wickets taken that day (or on any given day) of County cricket. Why is it being obsessed over like this?

Brook's side

International Regular
Umpires shouldn’t be bullied into any decisions. If they are then they’re umpiring above their station.

Also, it was one of the 8,248 wickets taken that day (or on any given day) of County cricket. Why is it being obsessed over like this?
OK, but my concern isn't with the umpire.

There must be a line where player conduct becomes unacceptable.

I can't believe that a cricketer should be at liberty to intimidate the umpire without limits, if at all.

Molehill

International Captain

There's been some very disgruntled batsmen walking off at Hove too after some questionable lbw decisions. I think with a spinner, especially one bowling leg spin from around the wicket to a right hander, it becomes painfully obvious when the umpire has had a howler, as he did on this occasion. Literally, nothing personal against Marnus at all, the person with questions against them is the umpire.

Brook's side

International Regular
I think with a spinner, especially one bowling leg spin from around the wicket to a right hander, it becomes painfully obvious when the umpire has had a howler, as he did on this occasion.
Not every ball a leg spinner bowls, is a leg spinner.

The suggestion that it's "painfully obvious" that an umpire has had a "howler" if he gives a right handed batsman out lbw to a leg spin bowler bowling right arm around, is just invalid.

You said that the Labushagne ball pitched "a foot" outside leg stump, and it was nowhere anywhere near that. It was probably a couple of inches.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Very first bit is incorrect as molehill straight up said "there is no fitness issue".

Fair enough on the rest of your post though, If anything I was trying to make a point that I wasn't very confident in what I was saying.
Surely it’s only incorrect if he said ‘was no fitness issue’

Molehill

International Captain
You said that the Labushagne ball pitched "a foot" outside leg stump, and it was nowhere anywhere near that. It was probably a couple of inches.
Have you paused the video at the point it pitches, it is miles outside leg stump. DRS would've taken 2 seconds to send it packing...