• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in New Zealand 2022/23

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Excellent game to follow and watch. Loved that last 5 overs especially. Well done Kane and NZ. And hopefully a deserving send off for one of the greatest workhorses of the game - WAGner.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Has to be said too, that was some insanely skillful bowing by the three Sri Lankan seamers, especially Rajitha and Asitha. The way they were hitting reverse yorkers on queue, running in with sustained energy bowling good bumpers etc was so impressive. That last hour was so enjoyable to watch in terms of the skills on show.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lanka have quietly assembled some gun pace bowling depth. I remember seeing b Fernando come is as a 5th/6th choice at the T20 WC and bowl absolute GAS vs Aus in there group stage game, but the showing this test has been even better. Asitha Fernando was great and the others were also good.

DougieRydal

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Btw can anyone confirm that this is the first ever test won off the official last scheduled ball of the test (yes I know, every test is won off the last ball, good one)…I’d imagine surely it is, but also hard to establish due to the general shambles around the very rules I’ve been posting about and the record keeping around such things
I saw someone tweet this last night, it was the 2nd one, the other one was between Eng and SA in Durban in 1948

ataraxia

International Coach
Aw ****, really Bowes? I-told-you-so and all, but for the ODIs, where there's a batting logjam already?

Let's ignore that and focus on the test...

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Tom Latham (c), Finn Allen (ODI 1), Tom Blundell, Chad Bowes, Michael Bracewell, Mark Chapman (ODI 2 & 3), Lockie Ferguson (ODI 1), Matt Henry, Ben Lister (ODI 2 & 3), Daryl Mitchell, Henry Nicholls (ODI 2 & 3), Glenn Phillips (ODI 1), Henry Shipley, Ish Sodhi, Blair Tickner, Will Young.

Is the squad

1st ODI only guys are IPL bound, kane, Santner and a few others have been entirely rested.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Not too many names I can think of that should be there. Maybe rachin but his white ball record leaves a bit to be desired, think smith is still injured. NZ have 3 T20 vs SL after this and a t20 tour of Pak, will be very frustrated if they play Shipley in these odi's but not the t20's.

Maybe cleaver/Fletcher could have got a game here but I think there more T20 only Whitehall prospects atm.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sri Lanka have quietly assembled some gun pace bowling depth. I remember seeing b Fernando come is as a 5th/6th choice at the T20 WC and bowl absolute GAS vs Aus in there group stage game, but the showing this test has been even better. Asitha Fernando was great and the others were also good.
Death. Taxes. A Fernando opening the bowling for SL

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I saw someone tweet this last night, it was the 2nd one, the other one was between Eng and SA in Durban in 1948
There was no last offical scheduled ball in 1948. The last ball then happened to be final ball of whatever over was in progress at the scheduled close, determined by how quickly the teams got through them.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Not too many names I can think of that should be there. Maybe rachin but his white ball record leaves a bit to be desired, think smith is still injured. NZ have 3 T20 vs SL after this and a t20 tour of Pak, will be very frustrated if they play Shipley in these odi's but not the t20's.

Maybe cleaver/Fletcher could have got a game here but I think there more T20 only Whitehall prospects atm.
Am disappointed Clarkson isn't in there. He really needs to be in the T20 team. I hope they are working hard to get Foxcroft eligible.

thierry henry

International Coach
There was no last offical scheduled ball in 1948. The last ball then happened to be final ball of whatever over was in progress at the scheduled close, determined by how quickly the teams got through them.
That’s generally what it means now too though right? Most sessions/days end at a particular time, albeit it’s usually 30 mins late in the final session. We only have to come up with other ways of working out the overs on day 5 because of SLOW OVER RATES.

The bigger disclaimer is that 1948 test was only 4 days

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That’s generally what it means now too though right? Most sessions/days end at a particular time, albeit it’s usually 30 mins late. We only have to come up other ways of working out the overs on day 5 because of SLOW OVER RATES.

The bigger disclaimer is that 1948 test was only 4 days
Test matches used to be played over a certain length of time only, now they're played to a certain minimum number of overs. Time only comes into it when either overs are lost due to play being too slow, or when the minimum is exceeded (which seems to be very rare). Makes it a different dynamic when it comes to things like play on the last day, trying to increase or decrease the over rate etc.

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
Test matches used to be played over a certain length of time only, now they're played to a certain minimum number of overs. Time only comes into it when either overs a lost due to play being too slow, or when the minimum is exceeded (which seems to be very rare). Makes it a different dynamic when it comes to things like play on the last day, trying to increase or decrease the over rate etc.
So time only comes into it if play is too slow, too fast, or just right.