• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

ashley bach

Cricketer Of The Year

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Picking Warner and dropping Head for the first Test looked horrible at the time, even worse now. Head already has a higher Test score in India than Warner ever managed. Would love to know who was behind that decision.

I get the sense there were people who didn't argue against it who knew better because Warner is considered too pivotal a character to remove from the team.

Spark

Global Moderator
Picking Warner and dropping Head for the first Test looked horrible at the time, even worse now. Head already has a higher Test score in India than Warner ever managed. Would love to know who was behind that decision.

I get the sense there were people who didn't argue against it who knew better because Warner is considered too pivotal a character to remove from the team.
Yeah the thing was, there was a certain logic to not picking Head for that first game given how rank awful he had looked last year in Pakistan and Sri Lanka. But dropping him while keeping Warner made no sense whatsoever.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well the team has done just fine without Warner the past two tests so hopefully the idea he's still pivotal been put to bed. If he had some red ball cricket ahead of him before England and scored well there might - might - be a legit case for his retention, but I just don't see there being one at all as things stand. Bloke has been a fine player for Aus for a long time, but that time is up.

Spark

Global Moderator
Well the team has done just fine without him the past two tests so hopefully that's been put to bed. If he had some red ball cricket ahead of him before England and scored well there might - might - be a legit case for his retention, but I just don't see there being one at all as things stand. Bloke has been a fine player for Aus for a long time, but that time is up.
The concern is that the old No Obvious Alternative excuse might be trotted out, together with a healthy dose of Great Around The Group

TheJediBrah

Aus had no right to get out of this series 2-1. Should have been a 4-0 loss with massive margins

I think it has more to do with India doing bad than Aus doing good though. Aus were pretty meh tbh

Sunil1z

International Regular
Warner should play the first 2 Test in Ashes imo . He isn’t worse than Crawley who opens for England and has made vital runs since Bazball started .

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I think Warner would be phased out if there was an obvious replacement waiting in the wings.

I'm not obviously as up to speed with Aussie domestic cricket as the Aussies on here, but it seems that Sam Wightman is the next cab off the rank.

It's a big ask to make your debut away in the Ashes but surely he's got to be a better bet than Warner, who let's be honest, looks completely gone.

Burgey

Nah he's got nothing left mate. He's genuinely shot. He played that one anomalous dig in Melbourne vs SA but he's looked completely shot for at least a year, probably longer, and has looked shot again after it.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Aus had no right to get out of this series 2-1. Should have been a 4-0 loss with massive margins

I think it has more to do with India doing bad than Aus doing good though. Aus were pretty meh tbh
No team in the history of cricket can whitewash this Australian side .

You are extremely underestimating Smith + Lyon+ Labu+ Cummins + Khwaja in current form

Molehill

International Captain
Is there any alternative wicket keeping option or is Carey's spot safe despite a very poor series with the bat?

Spark

Global Moderator
I think Warner would be phased out if there was an obvious replacement waiting in the wings.

I'm not obviously as up to speed with Aussie domestic cricket as the Aussies on here, but it seems that Sam Wightman is the next cab off the rank.

It's a big ask to make your debut away in the Ashes but surely he's got to be a better bet than Warner, who let's be honest, looks completely gone.
It's not just that he hasn't made runs in England before and his Test form is horrible. But he looks just totally past it. I think he made 11 in Delhi and looked unbelievably fortunate to make it that far.

Burgey

Is there any alternative wicket keeping option or is Carey's spot safe despite a very poor series with the bat?
I think Pierson should be next in line but think they would take renowned Tory bootlicker Josh Inglis, who's keeping frankly is ****e.

I would back Carey to do reasonably well in England with the bat, and he certainly showed here is keeping in tough conditions has improved a ton. I think he'd be hard done by to get the arse based on this series.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think Carey would go alright in England but then again I thought he would go alright here too; in fact I thought he would help buttress the tail which actually ended up being our biggest weakness throughout the series. So who knows. His keeping will save him though.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
We have inglis and pierson. Pierson should really be in contention, his keeping is good (Haven't seen him keep to spin in the subcontinent, but never seen him struggle while keeping to kunhemenn and swepson in AUS and has been in fantastic red ball batting form for AUS-A and QLD over the past 2 seasons. Inglis has a higher cieling with the bat then carey or pierson and his keeping is as good as pierson's but he's not played much red ball cricket and didn't make any runs in the format when he did play for a 2 year stretch until a recent century for WA. He's gonna be a lock in the t20 and likely ODI teams going forward so don't think hey'll get much time to work on his red ball stuff either, which is a shame cause I reckon there's a top tier red ball keeper bat in him.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Carey had a bad series but he kept well and has runs in the bank. If he ****s up in england and pierson/inglis continue to make runs his spot can be questioned but he's fine for now.

Molehill

International Captain
FWIW, Carey was popular at Sussex and had a decent County stint. He looked good in the World Cup too, I suspect he could be an annoying Haddin type thorn in the Ashes. Just noticed his overall batting average is down to 31 and wondered if he was being challenged at all, seems not.

Shri

Mr. Glass
pant's absence played a huge role in letting aus get a sniff imo
what i mean is that if aus won the series i was going to pour water on the fire and tell everyone to shut up because we did not have our best batsman so the series doesn't count

Burgey

Be interesting to see who they take as reserve keeper, or if either of Pierson or Inglis has a county gig